1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Assistant coach John Lucas also on Rockets' interview list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Oct 3, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I wouldn't mind Lucas, it's better than the other coaches being mentioned such as Ty Lue.

Ramo$e, BamBam and fattz like this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Well liked by our players but we really need a coach who is good at X and Os, not a player’s coach.

Bo6, GotGame15, pr0wler and 5 others like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I think he’s better than Ty Lue as well, but that isn’t saying much! If Lucas ends up being our coach, I will have a hard time not thinking this is broke a$$ Tailman doing a broke a$$ move!!

Don’t get me wrong I like Lucas!!! He bleeds Rockets Red, but I don’t think he’s the answer. If we’re giving old Rockets players a chance at the head coaching position, I’d rather give Calvin Murphy a shot! At the very least we’ll have the best dressed coach in the NBA!!

Go Rockets!!!

Imanimal, pr0wler, saleem and 2 others like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. fattz

fattz Member

Coaching is about trust and respect—> relationships. Lucas is already plugged in. The Rockets are Morey’s team —> systems. The organization seems to want a figurehead and Lucas seems like a low cost fit —> why not? SpendIng money on the rest of the staff to make up for an inefficiencies seems like a wise way to get the best of everything.

7. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

@fattz on point.

This team and more specific it’s two stars need a coach they respect who they believe has something valuable to still teach them and someone they believe in.

I said it earlier, I am all in for John Lucas if he is truly being considered!

I think he could recruit other players to play here too!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't we interviewing the ballboy too? Might be the head of security... couldn't tell.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Courtesy interview

dachuda86, pr0wler, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  10. junk151

junk151 Member

At some point in time the Heat interviewed the video guy. Just saying.

Y2JT, razorback88s and D-rock like this.
  11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I guess BraBra is still legit.

What a disastrous hire if he in fact is the hire. Couldn't think of a less exciting hire.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Sorry, but no it isn't. That's a factor, sure, but coaching is about implementing the proper strategies to enhance the team and counter the opponent. That is far more important.

D'Antoni had "trust and respect" from the team, but he was an embarrassment regarding strategy and adjustments. The Rockets need somebody who won't cater to Harden and Westbrook.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How do we know he's not good at X's and O's?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, his last Head coaching job was in 2003.

if the argument against JVG is that it’s been too long, not sure what this would suggest.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He very well could be, but he's 66 years old and if doesn't get the job, which I had no idea he would even want it, it's going to be strange for him to stay in Houston. He's much more valuable to the world with what he's been doing. There aren't many people who can reach so many players throughout the league, so Tilman's cheap ass is going to take that away from other players. I don't know how good of a coach he is, he's never been great as a head coach but I do know how great he is as a mentor to so many people throughout the NBA who need real help and not Xs and Os. This sucks. He's truly one of the best guys in the NBA and he's going to be relegated to a coach for one team?

Pat likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Lucas is about the highest quality person you will meet. When I was in high school he was repeatedly very good to me and my family when he had no reason to be and no one ever would have known one way or the other. He can come across as too good to be true, but that really is who he is... he learned from his struggles and is grateful for every day on this earth. He is all about building relationships with young players.

Having said that, he is 66 years old and hasn't been a head coach in 20 years. When he was a head coach his X's and O's were solid but the game is very different. If Lucas is hired it will be because the players lobby for him, Tilman is happy and the Rockets will try to go after top assistants.

clos4life, pr0wler, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't hold that against either guy. I also assume it's safe to say that these guys are aware that basketball has changed in the last decade or two. I mean, I've never been a basketball coach at any level, and even I know that the NBA game is different now. I'm sure that Lucas and JVG, who are in and around the NBA 24/7, know that as well.

I wouldn't expect them to come in and think 90s/00s NBA is the way to go. If they do, then yeah, that would be bad. I just don't think that's a real possibility.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm looking up articles on Lucas just to get a sense of what we would be getting. Here is one from 1993:

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/11/magazine/the-12-step-coach.html

So, he's a culture guy that may suck at adjusting come playoff time because the players are suppose to figure it out. I'm not excited about that and was hoping we would get someone willing to make adjustments. I'm sure as @Nook has alluded, we would have to hire strong assistants but even then, I don't know how far we would get.

Oh well.

GotGame15 and D-rock like this.