1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Stephen A. Smith) Doc Rivers to meet with Rockets later this week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Oct 1, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Rudyc281 and sirjesse like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@treyk3 your wish may come true. I pray it doesn't. I don't share the same high regard you do for Doc, but hell maybe you are right. Honestly, you've at least gave me a legit different perspective to think about although I still don't want him here. I guess I wouldn't be as mad if we hire him, maybe.

Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I could be wrong. I'm glad I'm not making the decision. There are a lot of really talented candidates on the market. I just hope he truly gives the Rockets the time of day. It would mean a lot for the public persona of this franchise if he is hired here or if he we hire someone else before he takes another job even. The public opinion means a lot more going forward than most want to give credit for.

Rudyc281, sirjesse and daywalker02 like this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

just what the doctor ordered.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Normally veteran coaches like him and JVG are quickly sacked when they can't win anything.

I am willing to bear with him but he isn't bringing anything new.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yuck

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We shall see but history says Doc does better with a new group in year one every time.

1. Championship with Boston in year one of the big three.
    2. best record with CP3 year one of arriving in LAC

So maybe year one he comes in and we overachieve?

I don't hold anything from this past season against anyone. Doc dealt with a roster influx and as soon as they got to the bubble it was issue after issue. Trez, Lou and Bev all dealt with deaths in the family and the team was ready to go home before round two.

#8 treyk3, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sounds like a douche Tillman move.

Doc is slimy and known for butting heads with the GM and taking control, which til will support if it hastens Murray quitting over staying the term of that fat contract

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ah yes because he ran Danny Ainge out of town and totally didn't work closely with Daryl when Morey was in Boston.

11. rockets13champs

I want a long term head coach. Doc rivers won’t come here Bc there is too much uncertainty with the franchise after 2 years. Harden might want out in 2 years. If the rockets get a coach it’ll be a first time head coach willing to take the gamble. (Unseld, Silas, maybe Atkinson who was a head coach but isn’t getting offers)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

It's more or less lateral. He will bring a little more fire. But he hasn't proven he can make adjustments. We need that. We also need role players who have elevated in the playoffs. He may be able to help bring that. But he's not elevated himself. So it's lateral.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Hopefully this meeting is about Doc picking up his son, after Austin getting schooled in the playoffs, and then both of them driving off somewhere far away from Houston.

#13 Zboy, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    jim1961, pippendagimp and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

is Doc offered the job by Philly's brass? i think he's making us a leverage...Silas, Atkinson, JVG for me

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Oh noes.......

16. HardenVolumeOne

Would be a terrible hire. How many 3-1 leads has he blown as a coach. I remmeber he blew one as the magic head coach in 02, and then blew one againist us in 2015

17. rockets13champs

I’m fine with that we don’t want him here anyway.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The first thing I thought of was Austin when Doc scheduled a meeting with Morey. Austin is under contract with the Rockets for next season, isn't he? As I recall, wasn't there some "locker room" issues when he was playing for his dad with the Clippers? Rumors of irritated egos due to "favoritism?" Maybe I'm misremembering that. If I'm remembering right, it might be a complication.

19. macan

macan Member

dam she's cute, what's her name?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It would be interesting to know what his input would be on the existing roster as well as who he would try to bring over from LAC.

However, I’d guess he’druther 6ers’ roster to TheGoodGuys and that Philly would phill his ptockets more phully than would a certain restauranter.