1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to consider Ty Lue or JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 15, 2020.

1. steveng125

steveng125 Member

We all love JVG but will we grow to hate him if he’s our coach?

amaru likes this.
  2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You know once Harden or Westbrook will get into a shooting slump, and all the comments will be here in CF : JVG sucks as an offensive coach, this aint working for Harden, he is outdated, Harden still prefer MAD.

18pbr and saleem like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of people did when he was our coach the first time.

4. hakeemthagreat

He turned GS from a horrible franchise to a winning one. Thats poisonous?

18pbr likes this.
  5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

A lot needs to be integrated especially when we are in 7 game series with strategies becoming the utmost impotance

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

I don't know about poisonous but, his commentary on tv is bad. He doesn't say the insane things that would come out of Webber but I never hear anything strategic coming out of him. All about emotional stuff and things that are obvious.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can Austin lure his father to come coach the Rockets? :eek::eek:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1. Joe Lacob said Jackson was let go because no one in the organization liked him. Said he did a good job as coach but you can't have "200 people in the organization not like you."
    2. Jackson publicly clashed with his own assistant coaches. They went as far as secretly recording each other in coaches meetings.
    3. Jackson purposefully did not hire the best coaching staff possible because he was afraid they'd outshine him or disagree with him. Lacob said " I told him to take my wallet and hire the best staff available." and Jackson declined, opting to stick with the staff who he publicly clashed with and secretly recorded.

seriously we can do better.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, hell.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I like this list a lot. Chron is reporting the following names may be scheduled for interviews this week:

Doc
    JVG
    Lue
    Atkinson
    Silas
    Cassell
    Unseld Jr

I was hoping for Griffin, Joerger, and Hammon to at least get an interview. Joerger and MDA have the same agent so probably not the best relationship at the moment. Griffin has some off court issues, so understandable why you wouldn't hire him but at least bring him in for an interview to pick his brain after leading the raptors defense to a championship.

I would've also liked to see interviews for lakers and warriors assistants just to get some intel. Now's the chance.

From this list I can say I don't think we need a developmental coach like Atkinson or cassell. I think Doc isn't a great fit since he doesn't actually make adjustments (see MDA). JVG and lue are known for game management which we need but will probably be too expensive for tilman. They should be the clear cut Tier 1 options. Silas is a rock solid fall back. Unseld is a hot name on the rise so morey probably just doing due diligence for the future as he has in the past with Lue, Griffin, Silas, and Cassell.

Rudyc281 and kjayp like this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Id like to see JVG with an offensive assistant at this point. We need discipline, structure and preparation.

fchowd0311 and kjayp like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

#153 J.R., Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I'm on team Atkinson. He runs an innovative offensive system and has ties to the organization.

15. freckleslol

freckleslol Member

On Atkinson/Cassell - my first instinct was to agree with you. But maybe a developmental coach is exactly what we need? We've been short on the margins the last few years. We've had five, six, maybe seven guys who can really play.

What if the new coach didn't just focus on how to get the most out of five guys, but focused on using the season to get us eight guys who can play? We know James will be amazing. We hope Russ will be, too. We know we'll have a few guys like Tucker, Covington, and Gordon who can play. What else do we know? Not a whole lot.

There's so much opportunity over 82 games to grow and nurture guys, rather than doing the exact same thing every game. Maybe we can find some new answers.

I could be wrong. My instinct was to agree that we need a manager and tactician. But I think development deserves more consideration than outright dismissal.

16. hakeemthagreat

Steph Curry loves him. Klay didn't have a problem with him. So who cares? These quotes are from ppl who clearly didn't like him. Bottom line, Jackson got RESULTS and turned that franchise around

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. This team lacks discipline. They are a very helter skelter team that plays horribly inconsistent defense and on offense when they are struggling they just resort to jacking up threes and digging themselves into the ground.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Didn’t Atkinson suck in NJ?

20. macan

macan Member

i hope we hire a coach as soon as possible, so the team can start practicing with the new system early.
    it takes time to rebuild the team chemistry in a new system.