1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Definitive Breakdown of ClutchBBS Fans. (Please Vote)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Apr 11, 2004.

Tags:
?

How would you describe yourself

1. I am a Yao Only Fan. And I post quite often (average of at least 1 post per day) or will often defe

5 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. I am a Yao Only Fan. I only post occasionally.

48 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I am a Yao Only Fan. But I almost never post, or have never posted before.

48 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. I was a Rocket fan before Yao was even drafted. And I post quite often (average of at least 1 post

109 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. I was a Rocket fan before Yao was even drafted. I only post occasionally.

256 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. I was a Rocket fan before Yao was even drafted. But I almost never post, or have never posted befor

242 vote(s)
    33.8%
  7. I am neither a Rocket fan nor a Yao fan. (i.e. MemphisX and company)

9 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This poll is in response to amed, who said in another thread that this board is dominated by "Yao only fans". It's my contention is that the board is not dominated by YOFs, but there is a vocal minority of Yao fans that post whenever Yao is criticized. So lets have a poll that sorts this out. It would be pretty interesting to find out the results.

First off, for the purposes of this poll a YOF is defined as anybody who comes to this board because Yao is on the team, and wouldn't be here if Yao was drafted by another team. (I know that YOF has a more negative connotation of one that is blind to Yao's faults and doesn't care about the team at all, but lets put that aside for this poll)

I also broke it down into how often people post because a bunch of YOF that rarely post can hardly be said to dominate the board.

BTW I bet if all the lurkers voted, they would outnumber everyone else by at least 5 to 1.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

i was a Rox fan before Yao and i post all the damn time, & i think this is a r****d ass poll, IMO of course.

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

This thread leads me to ask one thing..........

Is it me or is CC.net turning into the Rockets version of LakersGround.net and its division of the Laker fan base with "Shaq fans" and "Kobe fans" given all these designations of "Yao only" fans and those who defend Francis and the best interests of the team here?

Sadly, I see it happening here but hope we can all stay on the same page and unite as one big "basketball-intelligent" Rocket fan base instead of turning on each other and turning this forum into the Civil War of Rocket fans.........i.e. what you see on LakersGround.net occasionally.

FYI.........I am proud to say that I was a Rocket fan before Yao was even drafted.

However, I only post occasionally due to time constraints that dominate my busy life.

:)

4. m_cable

Okay, somebody has got to start laying off the Red-Balls. :rolleyes: :D

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

As a Billy Paultz only fan I am disappointed that my category wasn't listed.

In seriousness, I will be a fan of the Rockets franchaise as long as it remains located in Houston.

I don't have a problem with Yao only fans...and hope international merchandise sales will help the Rockets improve.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was a Rocket fan before Yao or Steve, for that matter, were even born. I went to the first Rocket game in Houston. I cried when they traded Elvin Hayes. I cursed when they lost John Lucas because of Rick Barry. I was disappointed when they traded Horry and Cassell for Barkley.

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.

7. summitlei

summitlei Member

I became a Rockets fan when we got the first world champion.
    but as a foreiner ,my English is so poor that I could not post often. Now ,my most happy thing is to see you guys' excellent posts.

8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

That's cool. I feel envious of you because I never had a sports team nearby when I grew up (in Mid Missouri).

As for the thread I feel uncomfortable with the term Yao Only Fan. As you might be able to surmise, I am Chinese American, therefore I am proud of Yao. Growing up you get made fun of and discriminated against when you play basketball because your race is not seen to be good at that sport or most major American sports, so of course I am a huge supporter of Yao Ming and the precedent he is setting. To me he is a Jackie Robinson figure, although the magnitude of the social implications is perhaps not exactly the same.

So yeah... I love Yao Ming. He represents Chinese basketball players well with his humility and work ethic and skill. And I want him to do well.

Now I've been an NBA fan since I was little, and Rocket "fan" since they signed Melvin Booker (Mizzou class of 94) to a 10 day around 10 years ago. Anybody remember him? haha. The Rockets were always among my favored teams.

However, I readily admit I would not be as big a Rockets fan, and would not have joined this board if not for Yao Ming. I want Yao to do well, and the Rockets to do well. I now love the Rockets and languish when they lose like I languish when the Cardinals or the Red Sox lose (I live in Boston now). Will I be a Rockets fan if Yao leaves? I don't know. Probably not as much but I will still big a big fan.

But I come to this board for intelligent basketball (and otherwise) discussion.

So I respect that any opinion on the direction of the team people like Giddyup has will have more value than mine. I'm serious. He's paid his dues. He's more invested, and he knows the Rockets history much better.

However, I resent the elitism that some poster have. I'm not talking about anyone in particular. But slinging the word YOF around like it's derogative or to discredit someone... I don't like that. Fans are made not born. I equally resent the fans who know little about basketball and blindly root for Yao, or more particularly Yao's stats. Again I'm not talking about anyone in particular. But most of us Yao fans who have become Rockets fans will not do that.

I am opposed to the labeling and profiling of so called "Yao Only Fans". Please allow the term to die.

y. woodie zhao.

9. CXmoney1221

CXmoney1221 Member

so your a YOF. Thats all you had to say. "Im a Yao only Fan."

;)

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Moved to Houston in 1980 and attended my first Rockets game on 03.11.1981 vs the GS Warriors. Team consisted of Moses, Calvin, Rudy T, Bobby Joe Reid, Dunleavy Sr., Allen Leavell, The Whopper, Bill Willoughby and Major Jones.

I was a Rockets' fan before Yao or Steve was in grade school and I'll be a Rockets' fan long after both of them retire. I'm unabashedly and unapologetically Old School and that's why I probably seem to favor Yao...his game (fundamentals), values and personal style would easily have fit into the 70's and 80's NBA. John Wooden would have loved to coach Yao. He'd have butted heads with Francis.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Just go away you YOF!

:mad:

*Joking* . It's actually a very good post ;)

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've been a Rockets fan since 1991. But I've done my share of defending Yao when I feel he's been criticized unfairly. Just as I've done my share of defending players like Drexler, Cassell, Kenny Smith, etc. to my friends years back.

Just because someone defends a player doesn't make him an "only fan" of that player. Unfortunately, because there is a sizable group of YOFs on this board, many *Houston* fans who also tend to get group together with YOFs when they defend Yao.

13. disney

disney Member

what a penetrating observation!

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My favorite player used to be this guy...

[​IMG]

And while I post frequently in the Hangout, not so much in GARM.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

With threads like these I dont blame you ;)

True Rockets Fan, But if anyone talks any smack about any of the Rockets, Its on... Of course it is fun to get in the minds and bug the hell out of YOF's so I show my support to the Stevee supporters.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yipengzhao...
    I thought 10 day contracts started in like the 99-00 year. Didnt realize they had them back in 94'.

17. m_cable

This was kind of the crux of this poll. I wanted to show guys like Juugie and such that, there are still much more Rox-first fans on the board, and they are the ones that carry the discussion. So the board hasn't been "taken over" by Yao fans. There are still a number of Yao fans that will post and defend Yao, but they hardly make up everybody. So it must be rox-first fans that make up the difference.

No offense intended to anybody at all. ;)

18. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

that's news to me... i'm pretty sure they had it in the 90s... but when exactly they were invented I haven't the slightest idea. maybe someone who knows the history of the league better can tell you. but i'm really pretty sure they had it around booker's time. i think he played 2 10-days and then was cut. if not he signed whatever they had back then that was the shortest contract.

but please don't throw the YOF term around and use if for profiling of posters. you, samfisher, and some other guys tend to do that. so quick to name someone a YOF and using YOF as a label that discredits. i mean c'mon. i have no problems with your posts, most of which are insightful, but don't take pleasure branding people okay?

19. m_cable

Are you insulting my thread?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad:

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

its all in the fun of posting. I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings. But its just awesome how some people react to even the slightest amount of negative criticism towards a particular player, and getting them hyped up about it makes it that much more fun.

No harm meant guys, just say it and i'll stop. :)