1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should hire former Cavs coach David Blatt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenVolumeOne, Sep 22, 2020.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If he didn’t get bailed out by his “personnel” in game 7 of the OKC series, Rockets loose in the first round. He was very good for stretches in the playoffs. He was also very typical bad harden at times.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Defensively he was simply fantastic all game long. Amazing effort on that end despite his shot not falling. Didn’t shoot us out of the game like a Kobe might have.

James Harden was a +9 in game 7.

James Harden created the last 13 points of game 7.

James Harden had the potential game saving block in game 7.

No offense, but you sound very, very casual. I’m honestly not sure what you guys want James to do at this point. Shoot 100% from the field?

30-8-6 averages in the playoffs while probably being out best defender. A jaw dropping .636 TS%... The dude wasn’t good, he was immaculate.

#22 RudyTBag, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No he isn't. Harden's current game requires a stagnant monotonous offense that can be game planned for by the 4th quarter.

He needs to find other aspects of his game so he doesn't get so easily phases out near the end of games.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Didn’t see many teams able to gameplan for us with the proper personnel around him in 2018.

Why are we making stuff up when there is direct evidence??? :D 4 on 3 created by James every damn possession. That is all that is required of him.

Hakeem was monotonous too. Iso, draw a 4 on 3, kick it to the shooter. It was soooooo simple. Basketball isn’t as complicated as you want to make it when you have a superstar like James. Go watch 2018, or 1995.

D-rock likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Our offensive efficiency plummeted in the playoffs in 2018. We competed with the Warriors on pure defense. We were just a much better defensive team in 2018. We were actually elite and not just for spurts like this season. It was sustained mainly because we also had some height. Harden shot 53% ts which was below league average scoring efficiency in the playoffs. Same with CP3. Our offense just stagnates when a defense can gameplan. They usually employ more energy intensive shade tactics in the 4th to completely **** out Harden and he makes it easy by walking and standing everywhere.

The Hakeem led Rockets led by defense with one of the best if not the best defensive center of all time at the helm. Hakeem also improved his scoring in the playoffs.

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We competed on every level, because we were one of the best Rocket teams ever assembled. Everyone’s offensive efficiency drops in the playoffs, but I bet ours was still one of, If not the best. I also know the offense was good enough to take out arguably the greatest team ever assembled.

Do you know what the least offensively efficient NBA play is? An NBA play...

#26 RudyTBag, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

We were 6tj in offensive rating in the playoffs in 2018. For a team that was the overwhelming second best team in the playoffs in 2028, that tells me we pulled through because of defense.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Blatt can't coach due to health reasons. Any further discussion is pointless.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

That is fantastic. Playing against some of the best defenses too.

Odd argument, and I’ll leave it at that.

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He also couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in game 7. (4-15) (1-9 )3pt. You can cherry pick stats all you want, I prefer to watch games. In that game, his “personnel” bailed his ass out. Don’t get me started on all the similar playoff performances.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

You would think OP would do some research first, before posting.

D-rock, bulkatron and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. HardenVolumeOne

I don’t follow the nba like that anymore. My mistake

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

A giant part of being a coach in the modern NBA is being able to listen so your superstar players (if you're lucky enough to have one or more) and incorporate some of their suggestions into your system—or at the very least, attempt to. That goes triple with LeBron James. We can talk all we want about how players are there to do what the coach says, but the NBA is a players' league, and the biggest stars have team input like never before. When Blatt joined the Cavs, he'd never coached in the NBA in any capacity; LeBron was starting his 12th season and had been playing against and hanging with NBA stars for a few years longer than that. Blatt should have listened and made LeBron think he appreciated the input. By most accounts, he resented the interference and allowed the situation to fester. The fact that he didn't see a problem with his approach IN CLEVELAND shows a supreme lack of understanding the dynamics at play—something you really, really want from a head coach,

This isn't high school coaching. If you're dumb enough to think you can force an NBA superstar to simply bend to your will, you'll quickly find yourself wherever David Blatt currently is. He seems to be a good strategy coach, but he was handed an ideal situation with the Cavs and still managed to **** the bed. Hard pass.

*sniff* Just imagine.

D-rock likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sing it with me now: "Harden's shot selection could be improved".

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cassell, with Mad Max, Mario Elie and Robert Horry as assistant coaches.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Asking for a friend, right?

17. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

I think he's a good coach, but I can take a team with Lebron to the Finals.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

rockets interviewed Blatt in 2016. hired MDA instead.

19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Delly wasn’t an amazing adjustment, stupid. Dellavedova was literally back up.

Kyrie Irving broke his knee cap. Entire post is dumb and inaccurate.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Cold shooting happens. If you aren’t casual, you look at everything else.

+9, Final 13 points created, Elite defense are some crazy cherries to pick, LOL.