1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why YAO was so soft in April

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAsticker, Apr 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Not really. I think both Yao and Francis stunk up the joint down the stretch. Francis has been pathetic for more than half the season and one well played game doesn't change that. A string of them at this time of year, then maybe you have a point. I have no reason to believe based on Steve's past performances that that is going to happen though. Many people choose Francis to go over Yao because they KNOW Francis is vastly overpaid and taking up more cap space than he should while Yao MIGHT justify a max contract.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe you should stop watching the highlights and actually watch the game. Yao's half court defense is still the best on the team with out question. His offense has been slumping but I blame that on his legs or lack of leg strength. Kind of like a fighter in the 15th round, when your legs go so does your offensive punch. The good thing is that last year when this happened Yao was looked completely spent, at least this year he is still finding a way to contribute by rebounding and playing defense (half court) and blocking or altering shots.

BTW, Yao Ming's half court defense is the reason the Rockets have the best shooting perctentage defense in the NBA.

While Yao was not good in the Denver game, he is the one that set the tone in the LAC game by blocking shots and making early baskets. Yao has had a few slumps during the course of the year but has always managed to play his way out of them so I expect that he will find a way to turn it up another notch for the play-offs.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I agree. It's sucks that NBA play has degraded to this type of play, but your analysis and solution is spot-on.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yeah, it was reminding me of the Yao's rookie season where someone would just drive INTO his chest just to "draw" a foul.

I was like "What the hell!?"

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

For the umpteenth time - rebounding has more to do with "SKILLS" than Height. Many people worngly assume that because one is taller he is supposed to rebound more but that is just inaccurate - even so called TV analyst Sean still make the same dumb mistake.

Yao rebounding still needs lots of work (and stamina and hunger). Your height can help you in this department but your skills make you stand out and become outstanding. Great rebounders like Elton Brand, Charles Barkley, Larry "Mr Mean" Smith, Steve Francis, Shawn Marion, Emeka Okafor, Carlos Boozer, Dennis "the worm" Rodman, Ben Wallace etc. are not even 6-10 (many of them 6-7 and below). In the "ideal world" one will like to assume that a 7-6 guy would "gubble" up 15 rebounds per but that is only video game assumption (though could still happen - hopefully).

Oh btw, Kenny Thomas (who is actually closer to 6-7) is at least 10 inches shorter than Yao not 6".

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Very true! :D Height helps. But it's not the determining factor. The 6'4" Barkley was a good example of that.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

He gets out of sync because the Point Guard doesnt involve him as the focus of the Team.If Yao is not getting the ball at the right time and the right place in the first quarter, most times the rest of his game he is out of rythem and is below what is expected.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No, Yao is running on fumes. The rockets continually drop the ball into Yao

9. uac

uac Contributing Member

That's totally untrue!!! Yao need step up and play better...that's nothing to do Guards.

Yao is over-worried...He should free himself first.

10. Juugie

Juugie Member

Hey Yetti,

Has Yao ever had a deficiency or bad game or bad play that wasn't caused by Steve Francis?

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Yetti continues to blame all of Yao's problems on others. The rockets played Yao ball the 1st half last night and were getting spanked. At this point he's still not ready to carry a team for 82 games.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Also in Yao's case I think his rebounding ability is also attributed to his technique. "TECH-nique Kathy" (Extra points if you know where that's from). Yao puts much more emphasis on blocking out his man than actually going after rebounds. He will usually look at his man as the ball is going up and try to make sure the other guy doesn't go around him. He watches his man so long that by the time he looks up, the rebound has come down to a height where anybody can jump and get it.

If he boxed out more efficently (i.e. putting his body on the guy, then quickly turning and going after the ball), he would get to a lot more boards. I hope I'm not the only one that notices this. With a little change in Yao's technique, I think he could at least be a very good rebounder (he could be a great rebounder if he was able to play with more energy on a consistent basis).

13. uac

uac Contributing Member

You and Yetti are evil twin.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

LOL. So Juugie is Bizarro-Yetti. Or is it the other way around. :eek:

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Don't encourage them...

16. brasss

brasss Member

Rox are locked for playoffs, this is the perfect time for YAO to start being aggressive and not caring about fouling out of games. time for YAO to send a message to the refs so they start respecting him before playoffs start.

17. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

you're right on..but i feel that after the sacramento game..where steve curse...the refs is like "anti rockets" or something..we can see it on Yao clearly....and also steve...when we were on 5 game losing streak..steve drive through the lane..got contact..no whistle.......can got foul so many time i just can't keep up......there's something we can do...can we?

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Hey Juugie,
    Does Yao make $90million and play like he's worth half that?

19. CXmoney1221

CXmoney1221 Member

Yetti is the anti-juugie, and juugie is the anit-yetti. There will always be a ying to a yang. I am just the voice of reason in between.

20. fa7999

fa7999 Member

They are the same person using two different accounts to post on the board. Nothing unusual. This is calle split psychoimage and is a serious disease that can lead to depression, and even suicide down the road.;)