1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rivers/House depreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Sep 15, 2020.

1. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

I think because of tax and and specially salary cap implications, this is not that straight fwd. I assume he will be traded to take adv of the salary instead of just straight up cut?

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hartenstein got cut because he wasn’t good enough to earn minutes.

House averaged 30 mpg last season and 30mpg in the playoffs. He’s simply an important role player, who’s important to our team, his size, athleticism and shooting is a great fit for us on the wing.

Sorry but have to disagree, we better not dump a young, healthy competent role player on a cheap contract. People make mistakes and we can’t afford to kill our already abysmal depth over it.

BHannes2BHonest, pr0wler and JuNx like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to MDA anyway. I think it was stupid myself.

Nobody else in the playoffs made that kind of mistake to hurt their team. I agree he's a cheap contract, but dang it's hard for me to want to see him play again. Its like, oh, ok, you are cheap, so we'll keep your selfish as*. Ugh.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

House has a lot of value and actually played well in the playoffs. Rivers on the other hand. didn't do much that's useful

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Rivers makes less than House. His 2.37 million dollar contract got us more money's worth than Tyson Chandler's bigger salary in the playoffs though. Tyson only came in to miss a free throw. I still don't understand how MDA didn't play him at all for defense when we started getting beaten down so easily at the rim by the big Lakers.

6. pass_to_Hakeem

You can throw EG in there too. He had maybe 1-2 quarters total of decent play throughout the whole playoffs. He has zero handles and his shot has gone to sh*t!!

ak99999 likes this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Rivers/House are just streaky bench players. I think we're getting excellent production from them at their salaries, quite frankly. Rivers and McLemore are the only players who played with any passion at the end of that Lakers series.

The problem is that our starters (excluding Harden) are just as unreliable at 5 - 10 times their pay.

My ideal off-season would be us trading Westbrook/Gordon/Covington to get bigger and more versatile offensively.

8. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

House did nothing wrong but be human and satisfy his biological urges. The thing is there are probable many violators that didn't get clipped and House is a player that you beg to stay and does make a difference with his energy plays. Who else is willing to come to play of his current progressing caliber that can fit Fertitta's limited budget in the current situation?

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Taking the game of basketball aside from that comment, I'd have to say that cheating on your spouse to satisfy biological urges isn't exactly doing nothing wrong or just being human. There are plenty of wives/husbands who don't cheat when their other half is away for months at a time because of being deployed, etc...

10. MettaWorldPete

The decision to bring House back should be made based on whether whatever other players will remain tell the GM they can get over him ****ing the team over. It would be really unfortunate to get rid of one of our only (maybe the only) promising young players who is on a good contract, and could still develop and get even better. On the other hand, if the players don't think they can save their chemistry with him-which would be perfectly understandable-he has to go.

Pringles likes this.
  11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I'm sure House and other players know how compromised the sports entertainment world is with the pandemic and all. All these talks of the future, trades and upgrades is all pillow talk when you look at the whole thing from a business stand point. So you enjoy the time you have while it's worthwhile.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Austin Rivers said he's planning to opt-out of his contract in order to hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent this offseason.
    "I definitely want to be out there on the open market, and just see what else is out there," said Rivers. "But I love Houston. Houston's still one of my main options. That's a team I loved playing for. But there are other teams out there you just want to look at. You owe it to yourself to at least see the best situation."

D-rock and xiki like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

= daddy said he'll try to hook me up in philly

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I’d bet on Cs more so if they move on from any of their backliners, like Wanamaker.

I do not perceive Pete et fille want that togetherness.

pippendagimp likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wouldn't let House go. Rockets dont have enough good players, House is a good player, I dont care how stupid he is. I think Rivers can be a good player too with an actual offense.

I just have a feeling Silas will utilize the Rockets fringe talent more than MDA could have. Silas turned 17 fringe NBA players into flame throwers when he was with Dallas

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While EG's shot was MIA, the rest of his game wasn't. He played stellar defense, especially against OKC..and got to the hoop/line.

D-rock likes this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Bye Austin! House screwed us, he’ll have to seriously repent for me to be open to his return.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just need to improve roster so we can move him to bench so he stops screwing us when we need him most.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Cheap, young, emerging talent like House is valuable. I wouldn't get rid of him at all costs.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member