1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Dantoni felt disrespected by organization, chose to quit on plane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Leslie Alexander never paid the tax(once or twice). And didn't call his coaches either. CF loves one, hates the other. :D

Former Rockets coach Rick Adelman, back at Toyota Center for the first time as Timberwolves coach, said he had not heard from Rockets owner Leslie Alexander, a lack of communication that he said should not be a surprise because he did not hear from him when he was Rockets coach as had been reported.

“You know, I’m still waiting for that phone call he said he made to me every year,” Adelman joked, referring to a column that alleged that Adelman did not respond to phone calls from the Rockets owner. “I never got one, unless he was calling another Rick.

Adelman said he “didn’t think anything of it until all saw all this stuff about how I never listened to him.”

“It was kind of a joke,” Adelman said. “He said he used to call me three or four times a year. It never happened. When you leave a place, there’s reasons why you leave. There’s reasons why you’re not there. I chose not to accept the extension they offered me. I always thought the operation here was Daryl and Les talking and then when I met with Les it was Daryl, Les and I.

“I’m not real smart, but I’m going to listen to my boss. That kind of turned me the wrong way. Everybody has a spin on something when something happens. It was a great place to work and I had a lot of fun. Hopefully we can recreate it in Minnesota, the same atmosphere.”

Yeah, pay everyone like Philly! You get paid! You get paid! You get paid! 4 max contracts! You all get paid!
    Y'all already b****ing about Eric Gordon's deal. And if they were to let him walk, "CHEAP! CHEAP TILMAN!"

If only they could be Luxury Tax Spending Champions like the New York Knicks!

https://hoopshype.com/2018/11/16/how-many-times-has-each-nba-team-paid-the-luxury-tax/
    http://www.shamsports.com/2015/07/complete-history-of-nba-luxury-tax.html

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tech is the future.

Should get more passionate tech owners into the NBA.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

we hated both... ;)

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey wants that money.... not sure what the other GMs got but I think Morey does well...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This was all so obvious even before the season started. Tilman couldn’t have made it any more clear that he was leaning going in another direction, but was too cheap to do it before the season started like he should have done. As a result, we now have this ridiculous roster, built specifically for a system run by a coach who’s no longer with the team. It couldn’t have been handled any worse.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

still not a huge fan of fertita as an owner but if this meant D'antoni leaving then I am all for it. The only problem is that the way he left does make it look bad for the franchise a little that there is an owner that is not easy to get along with etc.

But this team really needed a new voice and leadership in the locker room. Also one that isnt a ****ing idiot and would make adjustments.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It is worse than that, he also steps in and pushes trades even if his GM and coach don’t suggest it.

MDA was never TF’s “guy” and didn’t really want him back anyway.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, HP3 and 11 others like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Tilman's type of thought process is pretty clear. If you lose, you're a loser and not worth his time. No need to empower people long term to succeed. Pitch them then reload yearly.

[​IMG]

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not a fan of Mike D'Antoni's coaching as many on here aren't.

That said, I respect and like his personality, he is very goofy and enjoyable guy whom I grew fond of off the court. He is a gentleman.

It shouldn't be just about one quote but the character of Tilman Fertitta.

It speaks volumes if the one guy who disrepects you for being too old, then came to your house and begged you because he can't get a search on new coaches going.

And I think Mike recognizes what kind of person Tilman is but chose to resume coaching anyway.......

@DreamShook that's the definition of an unlucky franchise.

After Leslie Alexander who wasn't the perfect owner either, you double down on Tilman........

#69 daywalker02, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This article makes me hate Tilman so much more, my God. I didn't want to keep D'antoni after this season, but this really is not the way to do it. So many details in here that make him seem like a terrible owner to work with. If this stuff is even half true I can't imagine any coach wanting to come to the rockets.

Richie_Rich, HP3, joshuaao and 8 others like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ve also read that Tillman wants to do massive upgrades to the Toyota center practice facilities and even a team plane I believe.

He will spend it just has to make sense on the basketball court and it hasn’t so far.

He also brought back the ketchup and mustard that us fans have been wanting for years. He knows what he wants and we do too.

He wants that clutch city feeling back that ketchup and mustard days back. I don’t know why we changed our tradition.

Since we drafted Yao everything was about China and everything and I get it. But with Tillman he wants the old tradition back something this franchise has been lacking for years and years.

GradyMcTracy, RayRay10 and bmelo like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I was told TF didn’t want Jeff B back after holding out for more money.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, HP3 and 6 others like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I do remember that Adelman wasn't a big fan of Daryl lol, it always made me think that Morey is kind of pushing things onto coaches or strongly suggesting them.

I'm not sure if that is true past Adelman, but Rick made it seem that way with some of the things he would say.

RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody is perfect but I think Morey eased up, he isn't as aggressive in trades too.

Might be age, might be controlled by Tilman......

There is 'the hidden war room' I think people have a vote there, the majority clearly voted Carmelo Anthony out.

Gary Clarke got his chance with Orlando.

#74 daywalker02, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks @Reeko Appreciate you posting the story.

HP3, NotInMyHouse, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, I know.

No matter what good soldier routine he pulls, Morey did not want to do the CP3 for Westbrook deal. And Dantoni barely even tried to pretend it was a good thing. He loved Chris.

Now the Bucks are going to trade CP3 for positive value, a year after we attached picks to dump him for a worse player.

Just unreal to me how everything fell apart here.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

you pay him in the world where you think you have 1 or 2 years left of being an elite team and you are willing to do whatever it takes to win (tilman's words, not mine). you can't say you're willing to spend and do whatever it takes and then not be willing to spend the first chance you get to not spend. i completely agree ariza isn't worth $15M, but it was only a one year deal and since we had no way to replace him, at that point it's just tilman's money vs winning. he chose money.

and wasn't that the year we traded for luxury tax savings at the trade deadline?

slothy420, Richie_Rich, HP3 and 9 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Just not us for now.

Der Rabbi and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

It is just incredible arrogance.

He believes that he understands basketball better than his coach and gm... people that have spent their entire lives in basketball and are at the top of their profession.

If he is proven wrong, then everyone can shut up because he owns the team... that is his mentality.

He wanted Paul gone because he wasn’t his guy and was resentful of the contract. He wanted MDA gone because he wouldn’t take his crap offer and didn’t beat the Warriors.

Daryl Morey has to know he is next or his reputation will be destroyed doing this idiots bidding.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, HP3 and 9 others like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ariza got paid it's true, but the Rockets had made it clear to him they weren't going to keep him.

But forget Ariza...since Tilman has taken over the franchise literally EVERY move they have made has been infected with "luxury tax." They've dumped rotation players for nothing or attached assets to dump them to save money. They've traded players with picks to get easier contracts to dump. They haven't used their MLE for real players.

We've been in the bargain bin chasing lottery tickets while dumping assets.

We haven't been all in once under Tilman. every year has gotten worse.