1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike D'Antoni will not return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 13, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I know bro...but he was still better than Russ now. Cp3 underperformed Im well aware of that.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

must be what made it so easy for them to avoid blowing 3-1 leads in the finals.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

He wasnt good vs the Warriors.....or he wasnt good for his standards. Him being better than Westbrook now is a very low low LOW bar and you know that. He's obviously way better than that that....but the second time vs the Warriors, he was not good.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Great innovator of offence. Better suited as an assistant coach behind someone who knew how to manage egos and time outs but the man could draw up plays and knew how to get ur team buckets. Wish him and his wife well. They embraced the city of Houston and he poured his heart into the game despite results. He showed guts.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean i'd absolutely rather have a great coach than a **** one.

But coaching is the only part of the trifecta of players, Gm, coach where you will see a coach win coach of the year, get immediately fired, get replaced by a rookie head coach, who goes on to win a championship the very next year. Meanwhile coach of the year goes to a team that, not surprisingly, sucks, despite his "stellar" coaching. And rookie head coach, in his second year, loses in the second round now that super important player that was only there for one year is gone again - hey, didn't coach of the year also consistently lose earlier in the playoffs when he didn't have super important player?

Didn't the GSW have some ridiculous record when Walton was interim head coach? And the next year, Mike Brown led them to a 12-0 playoff record while Kerr was absent for much of it.

I want my coach to be good in every area. But if i had to focus on one over the other, it would be big picture style of play, player ego management and development. Coach needs to get the most out of their roster, cause the roster is what matters the most. Which is why MDA has been a solid coach for so long. He's been really good at all that. Then I want the coach to ALSO be good at adjustments, rotations in game, etc. That's where MDA fell short... but even falling short, just a little bit more talent and/or health, and he'd have a ring.

It was time for MDA to go.

They need a GREAT coach to replace him.

With this roster, though, ultimately it will be very hard to win a ring still.

#265 JayZ750, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

7. Nook

Nook Member

People forget where we were before MDA. He was very successful. I can understand wanting to make a change but there is a real chance the team will not be as good under the next head coach.

This is 100% Tilman’s call, just like the Westbrook trade.

Also Tilman wants to prioritize bringing in someone with connections to the Rockets past, which he believes will appeal to the fan base.... this is also a terrible idea.

slothy420, clos4life, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Wait Morey is gonna have no say in the next coach????

9. Nook

Nook Member

This wasn’t Daryl’s moves. I wouldn’t count on a lot of the high profile moves being Daryl’s decisions going forward.

slothy420, D-rock, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh I believe it. He doesn’t run this team like an actual sports team. He never has. He ignores all the details about winning basketball and just worries about what he thinks will sell tickets. It won’t matter what harden, morey etc says. Even if they disagree with his choice, This will absolutely be a tilman hire

HP3 likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean...they won 3 championships, so yeah, I think compare our style of ball to theirs they've had a lot more success. Sure they have better players but it doesn't make anything Kobe said any less true. Obviously if you do the same thing and have little movement it's easier to defend.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Best of luck MDA.

HP3, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  13. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

If we had J.B. Still we’d be champions already

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BAD. Prioritize bringing in a coach that is conducive to winning. If there is a rockets past, fine. But that shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list.

#Tilman gonna #Tilman

D-rock and Jontro like this.
  15. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

If we hire Mark Jackson I’m fighting

icewill36 likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

tillmen finna bring back fan favorite bob sura so all the fans can fall in a faint.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Which coach is that?

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I have no idea if this is good or bad. I guess it depends on who the next coach is.

A lot of people seem to think MDA was a big reason we failed, but I’m not so sure about that.

The Rockets were playing “Morey ball”(shooting threes) before MDA ever arrived in Houston. Was small ball a MDA idea, or was it a Morey idea after the disastrous Westbrook trade.

If we are going to continue with small ball, and jacking up threes, does it even matter who the coach is?

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

With Giannis tucking tail, East will be even softer next season.

Up for grabs and road to Finals will be smoother than in West.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

boston and miami arent going anywhere and you can add brooklyn to the mix.

if giannis moves i dont think it will be out west.

D-rock likes this.