1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strong Rumblings Of Rockets wanting to bring back JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

After game 2 the Rockets got the memo that the series was fixed for the Lakers anyways. Even Steph Curry's old lady knew the intricate details of how that would. There was a conspiracy to keep it somewhat interesting but it was a fake effort on full display.
    Obviously both Van Gundys understood this implication while calling games.

#81 Sanctity, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    BHannes2BHonest and BigShasta like this.
  2. likestohypeguy

Better for all parties involved he stay put- me and the networks for sure, and probably himself and rockets too.

saleem and raining threes like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like JVG as a commentator and personality but I don't like him as a coach. If the knock on D'Antoni was being stubborn JVG is even more so. Remember he couldn't get the Rockets out of the first round and was the coach for such debacles as the 2004 and 2007 game 7 collapses.

Also barring a major change in personnel I'm not sure this group of Rockets including James Harden would want to play JVG's slow style of offense and without a big man I don't think we can.

saleem and ElPigto like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman is one of the reasons the team WON'T be blown up.
    No rebuild.
    And rightly so at this point.

Les..should have, but that was a different situation.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

One of my favorite coaches of all time, but there could not be a worse choice for this roster. Hiring JVG without a nearly complete overhaul of the team would be a disaster, and guess what? No draft picks, no salary flexibility, and basically almost nothing to work with to get a JVG type roster in place anytime soon. It would take years of rebuilding, and would essentially waste most of what’s left of Harden’s prime. Be careful what you wish for!

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

One bright side of JVG coaching in 2021 is that there is no way he would be able to bring back any old timers to play for the team lol.

clos4life and napalm06 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Charlie Ward is available somewhere.

raining threes and BigShasta like this.
  8. rocketsmetalspd

I wouldn't mind a coaching change. If it's JVG or give Sam Cassell a chance or Mario Elie.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like the idea some have suggested of JVG being the President of BBall Ops, he can help create the culture we need from that role. Not sure he's what we need as a coach at this point.

As for a coach, I do like the idea of a former player and one that has Championships on his resume as a player and/or coach.

With that said, I don't know if it really matters. We should have won GM2 and that would have been a different series. We didn't and we'll never get the calls when we need them any way. I mean Lebronia starts b****ing and the refs start changing their calls, WTF is that? Very frustrating.

NBA is starting to feel like boxing felt to me back in the day. I'm gonna pull for MIA to upset them all, unlike CLE when Lebron left they figured out a way to build a competitive team and you know Riley is the difference there. However, I'll be surprised if an LA team doesn't win the chip this year.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hire Sam Cassell

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's a coach that would put the mid range back.

Jayzers_100 and saleem like this.
  12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think Jason Kidd will be the best option for the Rockets.

13. MystikArkitect

I'm not going to watch another season of players being totally open from 10 feet and dribbling back out to take a contested 3.

I dont give a damn who the coach is.

14. raining threes

Maybe this is what needs to happen.

Has Harden ever had any issues with any of his HC's before?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Charles Oakley would be ideal for this team. And I'd love to have Flyin Ryan back.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Coaches are who they are. Old school coaches aren't thriving in today's NBA, it's the younger coaches that are able to relate to the players. JVG maybe the worst option of all coaches

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You don't give his intelligence enough credit. Jeff hasn't coached in awhile but he knows it's a faster game and will adjust the format.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I wouldn't mind JVG, definitely much better than the rumored Ty Lue.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He might but thats not something we see him do any of his prior coaching career.

he’s a smart guy but it’s hard to change decades worth of tendencies. Also that he hasn’t coached in awhile might mean he’s not as in touch with how things work. While he’s been. A commentator things look different from being a coach than behind a mic.

saleem likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

JVG can bring discipline, but there is a fine line between discipline and being flexible as well. His micromanaging will hurt the team.
    @ApacheWarrior @amaru @Deckard @D-rock

Deckard and ApacheWarrior like this.