1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A little (postive) rant from a fellow Houston Rockets fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PrawnJ, Sep 12, 2020.

1. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

It has been a long and grueling season. After everything that has happened to our team, I just want to send along some positive feelings to my fellow Houston Rockets fans.

Our current situation is not pretty. Down 3-1 to the Lakers, Danuel House being expelled from the bubble. There's a consensus that our season is ending tomorrow, if not this series - so I understand that It's very easy to feel down on our team right at this moment. Which is why I urge everyone to refresh their perspective and take a look at the bigger picture:

1. When Daryl Morey went all-in on 'Small Ball', it was a calculated bet. Make no mistake, we were never favorites to win the title. But without taking this risk, we wouldn't even have had the chance. Let's appreciate the courage and balls for management to go for what they believe in. By doing this, Houston became the team with 'a puncher's chance' , it just that the punch didn't land this time. Wouldn't you rather support a team like this rather than a team that has no identity, or a front office that makes moves without a clear direction or purpose?

2. Mike D'Antoni. Yes, I know - his in game adjustments are average at best. Sometimes, we wish he could a light a fire under our superstars' ass. If we lose this series - it might be his last game as a coach. Not just as a Houston Rockets coach, but as an NBA coach. I remember in one of the broadcasts that they mentioned "it would be up to Mike D'Antoni on whether he would consider an extension with the Houston Rockets", considering how Daryl has already said it is the first priority of the off season. Let's just appreciate his maniacal brilliance to create an offense like this, and I don't need to say much more. But how about our defense this year? I remember having goosebumps watching Houston in games 1 & 2 vs. OKC. Yes, it has looked bad vs the Lakers this year, but that tends to be the effect of playing against LeBron and AD. How many (non double team) defenses have looked bad against James Harden?

3. James Harden and co. Even I am struggling with this one. Now let me be the first to say how much it frustrates me to see Harden playing passive in the 4th - giving up the ball to Eric Gordon to create in a 1v1 situation. I hate it. Yet, Harden is the only reason why we're here in the first place. That clutch block vs Dort in game 7? Chills down my spine. We all know what a capable offensive force he is - which is why we're often disappointed when he turns in a bad performance. At this point in time, we cannot expect him to turn into Michael Jordan. It is just not his personality. But I remember supporting the Rockets when Kevin Martin was our best player. That is something that I would never want to go through again. With that perspective check in mind, I do hope and believe when game 5 comes, we will some amazing things from Harden.

I know its frustrating to support a team that has so much championship aspirations, yet falls short year after year. Blame it on injuries, running into the greatest team of all time, whatever it is - at least we support a team that goes after it, with a clear direction and purpose.

So, tomorrow - game 5. I'll be watching (early morning for me) the game in my one and only Houston Rockets jersey, cheering for them with everything I got. Maybe we'll get heartbroken again tomorrow, who knows - but as the famous quote goes "better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all".

Let's appreciate the moment, stay strong my brothers! Go Rockets!

2. HP3

HP3 Member

This is a good thread.

3. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Feel free to add your thoughts on the season. this is a safe space ;)

RayRay10, daywalker02 and RudyTBag like this.
  4. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Like the positivity- all the people expecting g to play harder and show effort, it is hard. The team is exhausted and emotionally not together. All in all I blame house. We lost all the games he was missing from. We needed a two way 3/4 and he was it. His impact is under rated. His attacking to the rim and foot speed on switches is missing. House was the small edge we needed to beat opposing teams.

RayRay10 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  5. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Well said.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. anamah

anamah Member

Bring back capella

7. MettaWorldPete

I’ve never been convinced it totally makes sense to identity one cause for a win or loss in a game or series, but the House thing especially stings because of how avoidable it was.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rockets were doing so well with him

Rocket River

9. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

I imagine the damage House has done is more 'off the court'. Imagine you and your team working for the biggest pitch of all time, for months. You're hyped and focused on getting the job done. The night before the pitch, one of your key presenters got terribly drunk and is in no condition to join the pitch. Sure, life goes on, you reshuffle the presentation a bit. But the overall effect of one of your teammates just throwing it all away.. it must be deflating.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The start of the bubble was not gruesome though.

All started with those losses at the end of the seeding games, then after going 2-0 vs OKC.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Problem with the rockets is that they thought they could win with running a broken system. It didn't work period. That's why changes will be made and mike is gone, new players will come. They just had report saying even Harden is not safe on the roster, they are going to blow it up... Read that few people are ready to scrap it all and even fire morey. Who knows...

12. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Adam Silver sent here a messenger from Mount Olympus: 'let ya win this one, but in game 7 i gonna allow LAL bring Helen back.'

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Try to get Washington Beal to form big 3. 3 short small ball