1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st Half Film Study - Trap Incompetence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Sep 10, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Look at how the traps are coming at curry vs how they are coming at Harden, they are blitzing Curry so he knows exactly what to do. They are worried about his pull up three coming off a pick.

Kim and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah you're right that they're the worst ones, but I was only talking about offensively. There is no reason Westbrook without Harden should ever be better than Westbrook with Harden offensively. It's really dumb that they can't figure out a way to make it work together, but at its worst they could just let Westbrook play it the same way he does without Harden, and Harden can just stand still at the three point line and play like he's a roleplayer.

Kim likes this.
  3. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And they did that briefly in the 4th quarter. It’s a lot easier to pass out of the double teams and see your shooters better. The problem is they don’t do what works most of the time.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Maybe....but I dont know if I really trust our offense to be better with Westbrook having the ball more, that scares me.

5. saner-s88

saner-s88 Member

Earlier Klint was a person who beat those traps, because he was а threat when he got the ball in paint in those moments. Now defence can concetrate on a pass to the wing or corner player. This is the reason, but not only this.

Kim likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well the numbers tell you that WB led offense is similar to a Harden led one, at least offensively. It's only defensively far worse.

With Russ handling the ball and Harden in the corner at least they cant really trap

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was thinking of this too. Harden would never get double-teamed there.

Here's my 1st Half Film Study of Post-ups

apollo33 and HP3 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

My thing is that's exactly what the defense wants. The ball out of James's hands and into Russ. He's gonna take more midrange,he's gonna take more shots at the rim(while being unsuccessful) and he's gonna have more turnovers where he bounces it off his leg and that's gonna lead to easy baskets. And I dont really believe that Westbrook only lineups are that great offensively when they havent been all year, that sounds like a lot of noise. I'm open to having him with the ball more but I feel like that's a risk in of itself. But we really dont have anything else to lose.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Literally had nearly the entire regular season to work on Harden getting trapped scenarios and this team still looks like it has no idea what to do. Just a low IQ basketball team.

srrm and csnerd84 like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Westbrook can't play the Draymond role. (1) He is not smart enough to make fast and correct decisions. (2) He is too small against the Lakers' interior defense.

Kim likes this.
  11. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

We've seen this since last season and I've always wondered why we struggle so hard when it's a 4v3 situation. Russ is like the perfect weapon to attack this scenario but I think we're "trapped" by our own style. At this point, I blame the scheme and coaching rather than the players. By instinct, the players should want to attack the rim and we should be getting EASY points that would make the opposing team think twice about trapping Harden. It also doesn't help that Harden's passes are weak and uninspiring. It doesn't help that he passes it out as if it's an admission of defeat.

ballhandling likes this.
  12. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

We need to run a Westbrook/Harden pick and roll. Westbrook is essentially our center on offense, we need him to screen for Harden then cut toward the hoop. Him going full speed with a running start could cause a lot of problems for the defense.

Kim and csnerd84 like this.
  13. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

This. Watch the example from the Warriors clips and as the trap is coming Curry knows exactly what to do and moves to a spot where he can do what he wants. Harden appears to just let the trap come to him and doesn't really work towards a better position to make the pass. He can see it coming (and everyone knows it's coming), but it's almost like he has to process what is happening and then think about what to do and then actually execute it.

The way he plays he never looks rushed, he is a really smooth mover with the ball. But at times that smoothness and seemingly lack of a sense of urgency hurts and it allows the D to make things more difficult for him.

Easy, csnerd84 and Kim like this.