1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the end of the Daryl Morey era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Sep 10, 2020.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Maybe the end of the Harden and Westbrook era too.

fattz likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

All the idiots on this board, come expose yourself now, because if Daryl leaves, this franchise will be in the toilet. Just like the dumbs dumbs here who thought trading for Westbrook was a good idea.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is a good GM but not without flaws.

My two biggest complaints of him are:

1) Refusal to implement mid jumpers even for a limited quantity to keep the defense honest

2) Insisting on volume high volume 3 point shooting and yet not getting high quality 3 point shooters to support the playstyle

He is stubborn.

That being said it will be hard to get a better GM, unless you get someone like Jerry West. Jerry West knows how to target big game players and difference makers. I feel like Morey Math does not take clutchness into account.

The current roster is flawed if the goal is to win a ring. This will always be a good team as it stands but not an elite one. I find it ironic that Morey, for being smart, has assembled a really dumb team.

It needs to be uprooted to have a chance to make it elite.

#43 Zboy, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    GradyMcTracy and whozee like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

The only people Capela has played badly against in the playoffs is Golden State.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like DM a lot, but I disagree with the way he has let Harden run things.

I could see him gone or stay....if it was his best interest he should go where he can be appreciated.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm convinced Morey doesn't know enough basketball to build a championship team.

He's a great GM in many ways don't think he has the finishing touches especially with talent development and overall fit.

I also think he fluked in the 2018 roster because we somehow ended up with a superbly defensive team with two floor generals. After that and before that none of the rosters made that much sense.

7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

In every decisive game the Rockets find a way to play in the worst way. Pathetic. It is incredible that there are people who do not understand that you cannot win anything by playing small-ball with these players. Year after year the same faces and the same defeats.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro......why do the people who don't know anything get so confident.....actually that's probably why Trump got elected. And yea go ahead and flag me for the politics, I dont care at all right now.

9. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

In every decisive game the Rockets find a way to play in the worst way. Pathetic. It is incredible that there are people who do not understand that you cannot win anything by playing small-ball with these players. Year after year the same faces and the same defeats.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

i don't know if this is the end of DM. But this is definitely the PLAY_OFF Version of James Harden.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So when we needed him the most against a smaller lineup he came up small.

I have 0 confidence that he'd play well in this series.

Deckard likes this.
  12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Capela erased Gobert and Towns from series.
    This was no punk.

Draymond was too smart and too athletic for his simple game, and for the entire roster.

But Anthony Davis isn’t eating them alive like this with him. And LeBron would actually have some trouble at the rim in this series with him.

no I’m not admitting ****.

they didn’t have enough? A coin flip series in 2019 and a G7 with HCA that they LED in at the half in 2018? And they’re just what, frauds?

no, being stupid and pretending they weren’t ABSOLUTELY championship level is how you make a dumb trade like Westbrook’s.

The Rockets went on a ****ing tear like this current team never did last year.

when they got CP3 back, ONLY GS was better for like 5 months. They absolutely had enough.

CP3 damn near beat this stupid team by himself and you people still pretend he wasn’t good enough.

And put it this way, Westbrook STINKING in the playoffs is a guarantee. CP3 injuries are not.

tycoonchip and HP3 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Personally I probably still would have done the Capela trade and then with the other assets we gave up for Russ we could get a small ball Center like Christian Wood.

Nook likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it's about time we blame the pieces that's been consistent through this all.

This ain't ever work. All we have is ONE...that's right...ONE season where it almost worked and people hold on to that as if that's proof it can.

We hold on to that ONE season so hard and it's all based on what ifs.

CP3 could have came back and the Warriors STILL could have won. This is a team that came down 3-1 before. All we have is this big what-if that if CP3 played we'd be champion.

That's all we're leaning on, what if.

While ignoring that this happens every playoffs now.

Tato1971 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

There seems to be some disinformation.

First Morey did not want to trade Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook. That was a decision that the owner wanted and forced through.

Second, Morey did not want MDA, he wanted Silas. Les Alexander wanted MDA. Morey wasn’t even involved in the first two meetings between Alexander and MDA. Now Morey and MDA ended up getting along but he wasn’t his first choice.

I doubt Morey is fired. I cannot say the same for MDA as he has made a number of mistakes in the playoffs.

To those wanting to rebuild... you cannot rebuild, your wonderful owner insisted on the Westbrook deal. He was willing to give up 4 first round picks. Morey got it down to 2 firsts and 2 flips... but it will be difficult to rebuild under those circumstances and Tilman has said he will never rebuild.

Rockets fans will get a new coach that is more detail oriented and defensive minded. There will likely be a new group of assistant coaches as well.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

We lost game 7 by 9 points dude. Cp is worth more than that.

Nook likes this.
  17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The Rockets were right there for a championship. They knew GS would be injured this year and Tilman still blew up the team anyway. They could have still gotten Covington without mortgaging the future to get a player like Westbrook who doesn’t fit the team. But Tilman will never admit his mistake and will blame everyone else first.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I think it is MDA rotation problem. We need a defensive coach and give power for him to call timeout. We need house who has muscle to drive in, I think NBA wants Lakers to win easily.

This rotation is worse than cp3 and caplea era.
    We can look for beal or John wall from Washington next year.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d be fine keeping Morey if Tilman allowed a full tank, but I don’t see it.

our teams have never had the depth and young talent to help Harden. That’s why he’s always so damn gassed.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Gobert can barely play offense and Towns is soft as charmin.

Lebron would have had more trouble, I give you that, but I don't think that shifts it in our favor.

I'm just done hanging on to that one series. GSW was very capable of beating us anyway.

Also, CP3 post-season injuries have been a guarantee, and Westbrook has been further in the post-season than CP3...and CP3 has been on some stacked teams. In fact, Russ has exploded in some series to absolutely lead some of his teams while CP3s Clippers disappointed year after year. Remember that season Josh Smith and Corey Brewer beat the CP3 led Clippers?

CP3 was hurt, of course, IIRC and this is without google so maybe this was the year before, he hurt himself trying to carry his team past the Spurs? That was one of those years anyway. Dude stays hurt at the end of the season.

If he had beaten us I would bet he'd get hurt this series. That's always been it with him. He always gets hurt in the post-season, I honestly don't remember a time when he wasn't other than his early NOH/P days when his teams were irrelevant any ways.