1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

ya playing fornite on xbox one is a joke, if they gave option to lower graphics and shadows...maybe youd have a chance. getting routinely crushed by 14 year olds and pcs kinda killled that game for me :(

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I didn't see yet but on XSS are load times going to be similar? I know it's a smaller ssd and obviously lower/different specs on the system, but if it still has that nice load time it'll be nice for people not worried on running 4k etc.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, they should be similar. They both share similar/identical I/O custom hardware and software. I don't know if they'll be exactly the same, but I would expect XSS to be pretty snappy with load times. They have an example in that video, though it is using a XBO game, so not really optimized. It was something like 10 seconds for XSS and close to a minute for XBO IIRC. Hopefully games designed with the SSD and hardware will be closer to ~5 seconds or less (a number I mostly pulled out of thin air).

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That DirectStorage API is going to make nVME vs. SSD exhibit actual real world differences in gaming load times in the coming years -- benefit for PC gamers too since that API is making its way to the Windows platform as well.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A next gen game machine starting at $299?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's awesome news on the I/O, I agree with you 5 seconds would be wonderful. I mean I think of all the time wasted looking at loading screens - so even 10 seconds is nice, haha.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking about when I read about these systems in early stages, so that'll be great

RedRedemption likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

Good year for gaming hardware all in all; PC and console. There's supposed to be a Nintendo Switch refresh early next year as well I think.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

EA play (access) has been added to the game pass for Xbox, with no price increase.

That's really nice, that's Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, UFC, Skate, Star Wars, NFS, NHL.

Makes gaming pass an even better value

tmoney1101 likes this.
  10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Had you heard when we’ll be able to access this?

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They've vaguely slated it for this holiday season.
    Seeing how next gen launches Nov 10, an October or November release seems likely.

CCity Zero, RC Cola and tmoney1101 like this.
  12. Beezy

Beezy Member

I'm going to hang onto my Xbox One X for now (I have a lot of old BC 360 games that require the disc drive) and get a PS5 first, but the Series S price point is very attractive if you don't need full 4K. I'm curious to see how well a system without a disc drive sells - it seems like people that want a cheaper system are more likely to be the type that want to buy used games as well. I'm mostly digital for newer stuff now since I get lots of discounted/free Microsoft credit thanks to sales (Newegg just had Xbox gift cards for 20% off) and Microsoft Rewards.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

gotta be a PS5 announcement coming soon no? xbox just showed its nuts..can't be much longer

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I think Sony may be shocked at not only the Series S price (They had to know Series X would be around $499), but the No Interest financing option/Gamepass/Live bundle deal may be a game changer. I'm thinking Sony was going to Price the PS5 at $550-$600 and use the Digital version to under cut MS at $400-$450. Now, MS at $299 and with the Gamepass/Live bundle option.....it puts Sony in a Pickle.

RC Cola likes this.
  15. RC Cola

Yeah, should be soon I'd think. This Xbox stuff was originally scheduled for next week I think, but it leaked early. If that is anything to go by (I'm assuming MS was more or less waiting until last-minute), I'd assume Sony couldn't be much further behind. If they need to make adjustments based on what MS just revealed, maybe they'll take a bit more time, but I have to imagine we'll see something in the next few weeks.

Well unless they decided to tweak the SKUs and make them 24k gold, and it turns out those ~$10K pre-orders were for all units and not just customized ones. :p

16. RC Cola

Digital Foundry folks talking about XSS:

They actually knew about the console earlier in the year, but they couldn't talk about it.

One interesting point they make is that the XSS might *not* be able to use the Xbox One X versions of games when using BC. There are some differences in RAM between the 2 that might make it difficult (if not impossible) for the XSS to handle, so it might be stuck using the Xbox One S versions of games. The framerates, load times, etc., would still be better, but it might be "inferior" in some ways to the Xbox One X (without any patches). This is speculation at this point, but it does seem plausible.

They're also curious about what the XSS will do if games start targeting 1440p ala the UE5 demo (would XSS target 720p/900p?). I guess they could release multiple versions of the console, each with a hardware spec bump. *Shrug* We'll just have to wait and see.

Blatz and Yung-T like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm addicted to flight simulator. I went to my old neighborhood in Sugar Land. Brought back so much nostalgia. For a flight sim this game invokes so much emotion. Just flying around on some of the most beautiful regions of the world is a form of therapy.

TexasTofu, RC Cola and Blatz like this.
  18. RedRedemption

Pretty realistic too. Every time I run it on my PC it literally sounds like I'm in the plane as all my fans spin up to 100% lol.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

really wanna try this out, but only have low end desktop. heard you can fly through real time hurricanes and whatnot, im pretty burnt out on current games :/

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes I'll not put it lightly. This game is probably the most demebsding game out right now. Give me a run down of your rig and I'll tell you if it's worth buying it for your PC. For reference I have a RTX 2070 running at 1440p, and have everything at high(there is a ultra setting also so this isn't the highest). I'm seeing around 25-50 fps averaging out at probably 33.

A solid option if you can wait a couple of months is Flight Simulator is coming out on the Xbox series x which almost is equivalent to a rtx 2080 in terms of performance so you'll have nice stable gameplay with that method at high settings. Depending on the state of your rig, it might be cheaper to just spend the 500 on the Series X.

RC Cola and TexasTofu like this.