1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insomnia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

these days, I use chamomile tea...Doris Burke is also an instant sleep aid

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

ive been eatigg sleep gummies and they have completely changed my life. I've always been a real light sleeper and it affect did me negatively but now I get really deep sleep and I feel much better. crazy dreams though

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I wish that worked for me man. Herbal teas never quite did the trick :\.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Rockets lost game 2, this must be reason.

Chris Webber commentary has a sleepy voice.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This. My buddy’s MD wife prescribes Benadryl as a sleep aid.

I wake up around 2-3 as well sometimes. I’ve learned to go back to sleep by controlling my breathing. Close your eyes, deep breath in counting to six, deep breath out counting to six, repeat. It works 99% of the time.

B-Bob, jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat with mostly working at home. Done a lot of research... Tart cherry has been known to work.

I bought some generic OTC sleeping aid, which turned out to be some antihistamine like benadryl that makes you drowsy.

Alcohol or ambien might knock you out, but it kills or impairs brain activity to the point where it doesn't give you good REM sleep.

Pot during college helped, but then I had sleep problems when I smoked less of it.

Meditation through app like headspace or Balance works some times, but I don't meditate unless I feel shitty, so eventually I got bored of it. So it's great if you do it initially, but you gotta keep it up.

Practical stuff? Get your sunshine. Let your circadian rhythyms naturally adjust back to sunlight. Take melatonin during or a little after sunset. To give your natural sleep patterns an extra boost

Now for the mental part. Exercise releases cortisone and stress, so ideally it mellows out ruminating or worrying when things quiet down.

Since we at home doing the Groundhogs Day thing, there will be days where you'll rebel and stay up late trying to find something interesting or fulfilling to cap the day. If you can avoid that and ramp down (no screentime an hour before), then you'll be good 80% of the way. Sometimes a good book might make you lapse since you're starved for novel activity, but that's not the issue you were asking advice for...

jiggyfly and TWS1986 like this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I should be asleep right now. I'm not :/

9. Buck Turgidson

It's gonna rain all morning, so I can stay up as long as I want...

And I'll still wake up before 7. Then if I stop doing stuff I'll want a nap later. Which will **** my sleep schedule up. Which repeats the process for a day. When I actually am tired enough to go to bed early and get a proper sleep. Which then starts the cycle all over again.

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Lots of things you could try (some you may already be doing). Wake up early everyday, eliminate caffeine totally (no joke the half-life is longer than you think. I did this and my avg deep sleep went from ~30 min to 50), don’t eat sugar esp. later in the day, use your body during the day, deal with stress better. I’d ditch the Ambien and avoid other pharmaceuticals, including otc ones. Those things get you sleeping, but diminish sleep quality. Melatonin is safe and effective for sleep onset. And CBD may help with deep sleep, staying asleep.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't sleep on insomnia, it will kick your ass for that.

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Pretty common problem. It's called "sleep-maintenance" insomnia rather than "sleep induction" insomnia. What's been recommended earlier in the thread to improve your "sleep hygiene" is the standard recommendation. There are some prescription drugs that work on sleep-maintenance but they're not as effective that meds that treat sleep-induction problems.

Jeremiah, I don't recommend benedryl as a long term sleep aid. Did it a **** load in med school. Got really bad insomnia studying for the board exams and could only get to sleep after a beer and benedryl. It's really bad long term. Benedryl (and alcohol) have what's called anti-cholinergic properties, which impair REM sleep. So you can get to sleep (and stay asleep) but it's not restful because you're not getting enough REM sleep.

13. Xerobull

Thanks, my friend. Good advice.

BTW, folks, @xcrunner51 is a MD, an honorary Central American dentist and president of the Box Fan Fan Club. I've known him for a long time, very smart guy. Take his advice.

#33 Xerobull, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    B-Bob and TWS1986 like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah it seems that I am waking up when those drugs clear my system and I don't wake up to pee, I amnot really worrying and I go to sleep just fine.

I need to check my ambien again to make sure its slow release because I changed doctors.

No issues with late night peeing.

Yes I am in the Houston area don't know if thc gummy's will work.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is it all the time?

Mine gets bad about once year and last about 2 months.

I'm getting older so lack of sleep affects me more these days.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What gummies?

I was looking at some yesterday.

17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Here’s a new wearable for anyone who needs better sleep, focus, recovery and calm
    BY TRACY YOCHUM MCCLATCHY COMMERCE UPDATED JUNE 19, 2023 2:12 PM
    MCCLATCHY NEWSROOMS WERE NOT INVOLVED IN THE CREATION OF THIS CONTENT.

[​IMG]

Do you need the equivalent of a double espresso during the day, and a melatonin at night, without the groggy morning? Put on an Apollo wearable to achieve those effects.

Using low frequency sound waves felt as soothing vibrations, the Apollo wearable was developed by neuroscientists and physicians for less stress, better sleep, more energy and focus.

Through soothing, gentle, waves of vibration, the Apollo wearable helps your body relax and reduces the feelings of stress putting you into a state that gives you more power over your mood and mental health.

Whether your graduate is focusing on the next academic venture, having trouble sleeping, or just flat-out stressed, the Apollo wearable is the perfect gift to help them tap into laser focus, optimize training sessions, and let the stress of the day melt away to be present on what really matters.

During the day, the Apollo wearable gives a boost of energy to power through busy days and helps the wearer focus on getting tasks completed, from challenging work tasks to intense workouts.

It can help your grad to start prioritizing sleep. The Apollo wearable helps lull you to sleep faster and helps you sleep through the night.

The Apollo wearable has proven outcomes across sleep quality, focus, heart rate variability, performance, and recovery, and is appropriate for both adults and children. Wear the Apollo device as a band on your wrist or ankle or as a clip attached to your clothing.

Use the Apollo Neuro app to choose a mode or create a daily schedule to help you transition throughout your day.

While Apollo is still a new technology and brand to the world, it’s a game changer in both the health and wellness and wearable tech spaces. An Apollo Sleep Study demonstrates that Apollo users can get up to 30 more minutes of sleep a night, when used consistently. A peer-reviewed study validates the Apollo wearable as the first wearable to significantly increase heart rate variability, accelerating athletic recovery and cardiovascular fitness as proven by a peer-reviewed trial conducted at the University of Pittsburgh.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/shopping/article275919986.html#storylink=cpy

18. Xerobull

I'm really interested in this- these are amazing claims. Need more info.

upload_2023-6-19_14-57-45.png

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've been on the insomnia train now for a while myself. Not sure I believe the claims, or want more technology in my life. But I'm about desperate enough to try it.