1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Luby's and Fuddruckers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 8, 2020.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

RIP LuAnn and her platter.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not sure "regularity" and eating at Luby's go together.

Rashmon likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They are not doing well. They took on 51% of Luby's/Fuddruckers a few years ago and did nothing positive. PRI moves at such a snails pace when it comes to change and adapting and growth. I know they don't want to water down their brands by over expansion like so many other chains have done...but taking nearly 2 years to build 1 location is ridiculous. Their newest, Pappas Delta Blues in League City, has maybe the best fried chicken I've ever had...and they still only have 1 location. Pappas Burgers is really good. Pappas BBQ still sucks and this is the one with the most locations (outside of Pappadeux and Pappasitos) for reasons passing understanding.

COVID really hurt them but I'm not sure they were doing well going in.

arkoe likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fudd’s in Galveston in the early 00’s was the **** for happy hour. $3 32oz drafts and cheap happy hour finger foods to start the night.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Hmmm......you had me a best fried chicken. I must try this.

BigM likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pappas bought Luther's BBQ years ago which already had a large footprint in Houston. And bad bbq, which Pappas never really rectified.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

So I can’t go to Lubys this weekend? My favorite one was the west gray location. There was always a group from AA that would go there on saturdays around noon.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lubys and James Coney Island will always have a place in my heart.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not saying that they won't all disappear, but nothing is set in stone yet. Someone could decide to buy one or more and keep the restaurant in tact. As for now, the restaurants are still for the most part open, so if you want to get another fix in, do it soon, just in case.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The restaurants that do survive should be stronger then ever. Not going to be many places to eat and the people have to be funneled somewhere.

11. Buck Turgidson

There will always be mom & pop and non-corporate restaurants serving a niche clientele or serving food good enough to have a regular clientele.

Trailers, owners not renters, family employees, low overhead especially.

12. Buck Turgidson

I loved loved JCI back in the day.

It's really just not that good, and I feel bad saying it, compared to a proper dog shop.

13. Buck Turgidson

I thought Brittany Murphy died a few years ago?

boomboom likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought fuddruckers' burgers were good. unfortunate they have to shut down. also their name spells like a curse word in my head, thanks idiocracy.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

Haven't been in a while, but what I loved about Fuddruckers was that toppings bar. I always toppled mine with pico, jalapenos and cheese sauce. You have to pay serious extra for those toppings at a regular burger joint.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

good call breh, i wonder why they went under. maybe people had problems with the price. I remember fuddruckers burgers was a big deal between me and my friends in college in early 2000s

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Same. The quality burgers and self serve toppings are what made it, IMO. And those fat fries dipped jalapeno cheese...good stuff.

Yes, yes they do.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200203114328.htm

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Used to love going to the one on Bay Area Blvd in Clear Lake when I was a kid. It closed even before I graduated from Lake.

RIP Piccadilly and Fuddruckers. I'd call it Americana but those were local/Texan childhood memories.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I never understood why anyone would pay extra for a cheeseburger, when you could just get a hamburger and exploit the cheese sauce loophole. Score.

20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Lubys was such a staple of my childhood and even well into adulthood. My family loved that place. It was pretty good and then I got tired of it too and didn't go as much by my 30s. Still have fond memories though :)