1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jame Harden's Game Saving Block on Dort! Clutch Defense!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Sep 2, 2020.

1. dischead

dischead Member

Ah yes. Sorry didn't see that.

But wait, didn't Thunder get the ball after this play?

#21 dischead, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Great play James! You were stinking it up but still gave effort. Didn't quit and make a game saving defensive play. Props to you tonight.

3. Miami_Rockets

Miami_Rockets Member

Legendary. What an amazing play. More impressive than sinking a game winner.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Mr. Space City

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I’m so proud of James. He was having one of his bad shooting nights, but instead of curling up and going away, he nutted up and found a way to win. That’s it. That’s what he’s been lacking thus far in his career and he showed so much growth tonight. Not only tonight, this whole postseason. So proud.

jcmoon, Invisible Fan, Nook and 5 others like this.
  6. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Wow. This is amazing to look at side by side. Dream's championship saving block on Starks. Harden's series saving block on Dort.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No the Rockets did and Covington was fouled for FTs.

snowconeman22 and saleem like this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Btw, it wasnt just the block that was amazing, it was also his presence of mind to do a mid air Jean Claude Van Damme split to avoid the ball thrown by Dort to avoid the ball out bounds of of him.

It didnt matter because Dort was out of bounds when he caught the ball but there was no way of Harden knowing it.

This was probably the only High IQ play by a Rockets player all night, and boy, was it a big one.

pr0wler, joshuaao, jcmoon and 5 others like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam dort must feel very schitty after that mistake

10. HROZ

HROZ Member

I didn't see this post

Literally the stark block was the first thing that jumped to me when I saw the block.

But that was the finals and this is Rd1

Hopefully Russ is a little fitter and we can have a run at the Lakers

linvetb6 likes this.
  11. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

While Harden made the defensive play of the game last night, Giannis’s defensive mistake cost the Bucks the game.

It is such a mockery that this guy is voted the defensive player of the year.

linvetb6 and bro2044 like this.
  12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Tim Legler breaks down James Harden’s perfect defense in the final seconds.

Rudyc281 and bro2044 like this.
  13. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dort had the fakest 30 points I’ve ever seen

if he had hit that shot, then so many Rockets fans would’ve went into hibernation for the next 5 years

linvetb6, jcmoon and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Beautiful.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget, jumping away from Dort's body to avoid giving the refs an excuse to call a foul on him. You know Scott Foster was ready to make that call.

Zboy likes this.
  17. Nero

Nero Member

The thing, too, was the brain-dead move by SGA. Notice when Westbrook deflects CPP3's pass, it ends up in SGA's hands.. He dribbles around for a few seconds, and then whips the pass over to Dort.. but LITERALLY, CP3 is right there behind him, wide open for a 3. SGA never even looks at him, and instead throws it all the way over to Dort. now, not a TOTALLY stupid play, because Dort had some kind of voodoo spell cast on him last night.. and by the way, there is zero doubt in my mind that if Harden had NOT blocked that shot, it would have gone in and the Rox would have lost.

But still, the smarter play there would have been to just pass it three feet to CP3 for the open 3.

I'm glad he didn't though.

As good as the block was, I think my favorite part was Harden going into full Matrix mode, levitating in mid-air while doing the splits, as the ball sailed harmlessly between his legs. That was some seriously good kung-fu!

My wish: Rockets make a 'Levitating James Harden Bobblehead' now..

jcmoon likes this.
  18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

One thing about that block: Harden actually has a very good record as a defender in the final possession or two when he has a lead. We all know he has that gear where, for much of a game, he'll take a vacation on defense and conserve energy because he knows he needs to score on our next offensive possession, and the one after that, etc. But at the end of games, when we're ahead, and all he has to focus on is defense, he does it. He zeroes in on those defensive possessions the way he would normally focus on scoring.

riko and francis 4 prez like this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

crazy that after this play there were still 3 more fouls** and a turnover.

**really 2 fouls

linvetb6 likes this.
  20. trigun333

trigun333 Member

Can someone make a video with all the calls of the game. Local tv broadcast , local radio and national broadcast. I just enjoy hearing the different reactions.