1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

is that just through sony? other retailers will have their own pre orders?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Current-gen brought announcements of announcements, and next-gen brings pre-orders for pre-orders. I love the innovation. ;)

I'm assuming the pre-orders are from Sony directly, as I don't know how they could control the sales of items from other retailers. It seems like Sony wants to limit purchase to gamers that will buy lots of games/services, but I don't know how Sony can enforce that on other retailers.

Some were thinking that maybe Sony would keep this initial batch to themselves (which means they could even hold out longer for a price announcement!), but that seems super unlikely.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gamescom streams starting in 25min.

RC Cola likes this.
  4. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah would be pretty silly to just have pre orders only through sony. i mean i guess they're trying to limit people buying and then just re selling hence the requirement of PSN account details. figure if you actually play you're less likely a bot trying to scoop it up to turn around and sell

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sony showed Rachet and Clank on a real system .
    Microsoft has to show something running on their system. Are they even at Gamescon ?

6. RC Cola

I don't think either has a large, direct presence, though since it is all digital, it isn't difficult to have some people show up for small things. Sony had Insomniac re-show the same demo (just extended) from an earlier event, while also answering a few press questions. R&C was running on PS5 hardware back in the initial event (as was pretty much everything in the event), so not a huge surprise there.

I think there was some small-ish indie game that was running on XSX during Gamescom, but I'm forgetting the name. I think they showed off The Medium a bit more too, which maybe was on XSX. IIRC, MS had stuff running on XSX devkits earlier in the year (May-ish? whenever they did the initial big reveal). It is a little weird that they haven't shown a lot of actual gameplay running on actual XSX hardware in recent weeks, but I don't think it is that big of a deal. Honestly, I don't really care that much about whether these demos are literally running on PS5/XSX, especially if they look fairly accurate to what we can expect. No Killzone 2 or Motorstorm demos like from the PS3 days.

Halo Infinite was allegedly from a PC, and it looked like trash. So not like PC always means the game is fake or whatever (well...maybe Halo Infinite is fake in that it definitely wasn't ready for Holiday 2020).

Yung-T and Blatz like this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

MS is gonna get slaughtered this console generation. I'll be picking up a PS5 and trading in my One X.

8. Beezy

Beezy Member

Hype levels for PS5 are much higher than Xbox Series X. Microsoft stepped on its own dick with the Wii U-like name.

I’m buying a PS5 first, keeping my Xbox One X for game pass.

#228 Beezy, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To buck the last two post, I'm excited for the Xbox. Going to do game sharing with a friend, which works for the game pass.

90 bucks a year for ultimate (game pass + live) feels like a really good deal with all the games that will be on it. Super excited for flight simulator and Forza.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. Aware

Aware Member

whats the price point looking like for these? seems like its always best to wait a year or two for the "slim" model.
    nothing has been announced that would make me feel ok about dropping like 500+ for a new console.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like if you own a pc with a decent graphics card, a Xbox is irrelevant as all Microsoft first party games are released on the PC on the same day as the Xbox. So you aren't going to be missing out on the heavy hitters such as Halo.

Btw FS 2020 is the first truly next gen game which is kinda ironic as it's running on DX11.

RedRedemption likes this.
  12. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Anybody think CyberPunk will run decently on the One X?

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Seeing as it's a game designed to be pushing even modern pc hardware such as a 2080ti, I doubt it.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Since the Xbox Series X is the more powerful machine and the surprise MS is about to unveil with its GamePass/Live combo (Free Live Gold with GamePass or Just Free Live Gold with the purchase of system), don't be so sure.

Blatz likes this.
  15. RC Cola

I think I have a few posts in this thread where I give my thoughts (which are about as valuable as most...meaning not at all :p). I'm generally expecting between $400-$600 for each, depending on the exact SKU (there are 2 for PS5, and um at least 2 for Xbox I guess). Xbox Series S could maybe be like $350 I guess if they wanted to push it (maybe even $300 or less, but that seems kinda silly unless PS5 is $400 somehow). Some people are thinking $600+, maybe closer to $700+, but I find that hard to believe for some reason.

FWIW, I'm thinking it will be closer to 2.5-3 years before a console refresh (ala PS4 Pro/Xbox One X). I guess they can try to make these slimmer too...which I hope won't be too difficult given how big they are!

Interestingly enough, Sony seems to be pushing the idea of putting their 1st party games on PC as well. Doubt it will be all of them and definitely not on day 1 like many (most/all?) Xbox 1st party games. But I think that's an interesting development. Maybe most console games will end up on PC.

And yeah, it is kinda odd how amazing FS 2020 looks despite not being quite up-to-date on the latest technology (though not far from it either). It will be interesting to see how well it looks and performs as they tweak and optimize it.

I do think Phil has positioned Xbox well moving into this generation, and I think they should do very well. IMO, this is the best the Xbox platform as ever looked, especially at launch (though losing Halo sucks). I guess Sony and Nintendo are doing well too, but I'm way more excited about this Xbox platform than any previous one.

Having said that, console wars definitely seems like a thing of the past. It was fun, but these days, there isn't much point in debating which console will sell the most (well...if there was every any point :)). I think all 3 consoles will end up making a ton of money and hopefully delivering some great experiences. If I had to guess, Sony probably will sell more systems (at least relative to Xbox), and they'll also likely focus on delivering some big first party games that will sell gangbusters. But I think the Xbox hardware lineup will also sell well, and with Game Pass, Xcloud, and even just their games on PC, I think MS will make a TON of money, possibly (much?) more than Sony.

fchowd0311, Blatz and Aware like this.
  16. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

not really a next gen question but i'm assuming ghost of tsushima, last of us pt 2, and red dead 2 will all get designated as PS hits right? how long does that take to happen?

plan on picking some of these solo games up to play through but i'm not in a hurry..can wait for them to drop to 20 bucks

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's hard not to see a mid to top trim console be below 700 after buying one game, extra controller and maybe some other crucial long term accessory like a harddrive or wires.

18. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

What's taking these two so long to announce a release date and price? November is right around the corner. God.

tinman likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Playing a game of chicken. Neither wants to unveil their pricing strategy, so they can counter the price of the other (if necessary). Both will have to revel their price in September for a November release.

Sony will have a Disc-less version that is probably $50-$100 cheaper (rumored $499 price of Standard version). However, MS will have a cheaper version of the Series X that MAY be $299-$350. It is said to have less specs of the Standard version (CPU/GPU clocked slower), but it will be running the same chips (just like PC GPU/CPU makers do to have a lower price point).

#239 Mr.Scarface, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    RC Cola likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@RC Cola
    NVIDIA RTX , cyberpunk.
    I'm assuming next gen consoles will have to at least match this