1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any woodworkers here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I've been doing some wood carving here lately. I work with rough cut pine and aromatic cedar but would like to try some other types of wood. I usually do my carving on stock about 2 or more inches thick. I want to try carving something with Spalted Maple or something else with some really striking contrasting grain.....Any suggestions? and has anyone tried to buy wood online?...Did you receive quality pieces to work with?

#1 Blatz, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've bought exotic cutoffs from Bell Forest before. Most of them are either thin long strips good for cutting boards or blocks for turning, but you could always glue them up for bigger pieces. I'm not into carving or hand tools, though. I'm sure it'll be a different beast once you get into hardwoods. Pine and cedar being softwoods are easy to work with. I heard basswood is a decent wood for carving.

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Thanks for the site, I have not seen that one.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basswood/lime/linden (all the same thing basically) is one of the best carving woods.
    Walnut carves well but requires more force.

edit: since maple is a softer hardwood that is a logical progression too.

Buck Turgidson and Blatz like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I believe it's @Corrosion who does some really nice stuff, someone on this bbs.

I do things, but I'm not that good.

Blatz and Corrosion like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I a lot of exotic wood stuff from furniture to lathe work ... Check out the link in my sig for our Instagram for examples. We're also on Facebook & Tic Tock

Pecan is something that's readily available , dirt cheap and can turn out some spectacular pieces.

There's a guy who runs a tree trimming business that sells firewood on craigslist and I get logs and process them into usable lumber. This guy's on the north side but I'm sure there are others if that's out of the way for you.

Those logs would probably be ideal for carving , he usually has oak , pecan , peach , pear and plum and maple. Once in a while odd stuff like mulberry.

You can leave there with a truck load of wood for a fraction of the cost of lumber and you aren't limited to 2x2 pieces.

Here's a link to his add ....

https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/post-oak-firewood-for-sale/7167130080.html

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have no talent for anything like that, but I do pay for good woodworking. A guy chainsawed this for our lake house

Screenshot_20200831-185210_Gallery.jpg

8. Buck Turgidson

No, you have no talent whatsoever.

9. bobrek

Touche salesman

Bandwagoner likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is there a story here?

11. bobrek

@Buck Turgidson has me pegged from years on this BBS. I have no talent whatsoever. (My grandkids would disagree, but what do they know)

Deckard, Nook, boomboom and 2 others like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ok might as well ask in this thread..i am looking to make a "home" sign for my front yard like the one from clockwork orange:

[​IMG]
    no durango 95 unfortunately..

this is basically a wood box with lettering and light inside.

i have the light , black paint ,and i have the translucent part for the words. im not a diy guy and i think it would be relatively straightforward for someone to make but easy for me to say..i have no concept of how long or effort.
    anyone know where i could get something like this custom made?

Deckard likes this.
  13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

What you are asking for appears to be the inverse of what was done in this video.

How tight is your budget for this project?

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yes the inverse would be one way.. in many ways its a black box with one side that has the letters.the light is connected by extension cord so more the box than anything.. the letters could be a big square the blacked out to show the letters.

i will pay for the wood too. as far as budget..no idea..it probably more the mess with it mindset and who wants to or can..

i suppose $150 labor might be enough to be worth a hour or so. i dont know. i expect the light to be stolen but that doesnt change the labor effort. maybe make 2? thank you

15. Buck Turgidson

Well, lulz, pecan is something that is dirt cheap?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Believe it or not , yes.

Commercially pecan is expensive but sourcing it from people who would otherwise throw it away or burn it .... yes , Its dirt cheap. I can walk away from that place with a truck load of wood for ~$50. If I bought that from a commercial source , It's easily ~$1500.

Then again , I have the tools to turn those rough logs into useable lumber .... those aint cheap. Bandsaw , planer , jointer I probably have $12k invested in those three tools alone and I'm considering buying a "sawmill" to make slabs for acrylic river tables and other projects. That's a pretty big investment tho ....

Os Trigonum and Nook like this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Can we be friends?

Are you using that wood right away or letting it air dry for a couple years? Unless you got a kiln...

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

double sided or single side ?

Not all that complicated , I'd do it ...

What dimensions you wanting ?

TBH You might be better off doing that out of metal or acrylic so it doesn't weather.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your momma the best wooodworker I know.

First she got me hammered.
    Then she nailed me
    Then she screwed all my friends

[​IMG]

Nothing says claththy like Sylvester the Cat.

Nook and Corrosion like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I usually let it air dry before processing , on rare occasions I'll rough out a green piece of wood on the lathe , then let it dry out and finish it just to get a "warped" finished product.

Yeah , you have to plan ahead some , have this batch ready while the next one is drying out. But it sure beats the hell out of paying $18 a board foot.

You'd be surprised how fast it dry's out in a hot Houston garage ....

Deckard likes this.