1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon needs to play like Russell Westbrook.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Aug 31, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is a great set to free up EGo for the wide open 3.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

EGO: Pulls up from 35 feet in transition:D

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Dude had 23 points that game tf

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

on 22 shots and thats very bad

would have had 40 points if he stuck to the drives instead of hoisting 3 pointers 2-12

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I don't really have any idea what these descriptions mean, but I know I love them.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There's still a very small part of me holding out hope that he will catch fire (or at least shoot a respectable %) from 3 at some point in the playoffs. I yearn for that version of 2016-17 EGo that would swish 3s 5 feet behind the line on fastbreaks, huge momentum builders.

7. YaoMingsSoulja

It's hard to believe he's been so bad from 3. This guy won the 3-pt shooting contest not too long ago. You don't want to discourage his long distance shooting because you expect it to come back. WB never had a jumper, let's keep his 3-pt shooting to a minimum.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Gordon needs to cut out the 30 footers.

I think one of the reasons he's not busting out of the slump is because he's shooting Dame distance 3's with a super flat arcing shot.

Why can't he just get in rhythm by shooting normal open 3's or run plays to have him shoot corner 3's

tochiee22 likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Cosigned. Starting after Gordon's first game back, I've posted in about three different threads about wanting to see him off the bench in the Westbrook role, and not just before Westbrook was back. Going into game five, knowing Russ was back, I advocated for Gordon to get his minutes when Russ sat so the lane would be open for him. Good post.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He seems a bit husky to take all that wear n tear tho...

Gordo's rep before Houston was that of a glass cannon.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I absolutely think he will get his 3 shot back. For now, I'm in favor of what he did in game five--taking a couple early to see if he's got it and, if he doesn't, don't look so hard to turn it around. Until he gets it back, minimize that shot and drive. That will work unless/until defenders sag off of him like we did with Dort, but if it comes to that, mix it up.

We'll need him to get his 3-point shot back in these playoffs but MDA & co. can encourage that more when they see improvement in practice or shooting drills. For now, let's let him do what he's excelling at, just like we do with Russ and just like we did with Chris Paul.

It's working like crazy and it has been ever since he got back. It just went under-noticed because everyone was focused on his 3 ball.

jacoby likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed! I think it will take a full offseason of rehab on his legs though. I think he needs to take a page off of kobe dirk and malone and fade away a bit while kicking one leg up towards the defenders groin. As he gets older and the wear and tear/ injuries it could help him create space. Also I still think we shouldn't let him play with Westbrook on the court until his shot is back.

13. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Eric Gordon needs ride the pine for awhile until he can play under control and knock down some 3’s. Not sure why McLemore hasn’t played a minute considering how well he played this season, but it’s clear MDA isn’t making any offensive adjustments.

So far, 2-8 for 7 points and 4 turnovers. Looks like it’s Harden to the rescue again.

14. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Totally agree, he should remember previous matches vs warriors. His 3 points shooting is terrible. His drive is top 10 in playoff. If he dives in he can get 20 plus in each match, if he keeps trying 3 points, it will destroy the team.

MDA should tune his mindset on shooting.
    The action done is to get the champion rather than make the 3 point shoot to score very high.

15. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

This aged poorly