1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the season ends now, how would you rate it? What does our offseason look like?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Aug 26, 2020.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

All things considered, what did you like seeing? Where do you want us to improve? Whom should we target in the offseason (coaches, players)?

Thanks!

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Inconclusive without seeing WB in the playoffs. But yeah doesn't seem all that better than last year, still 4th seed still chucking and missing trillion 3's

4. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Honestly, disappointing. Getting WB and resting him ALLLLLL the time, not having good 3pt shooters, or an adaptive offense... I'd give this season a D. Its harsh, but wtvr. Took the risk of getting rid of CP3 and did nothing consistently positive with it. A wild experiment yielding no results different than normal.

payaso likes this.
  5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I don’t know since we haven’t had Russ in the playoffs. I feel like with the recency bias from the last two games, it’s tough to evaluate.

dmoneybangbang and malakas like this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

4.20/6.9

more or less what i expected.. minus the whole capela trade.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

F-

fukc 2020

good grief

8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

FOH.

Couple trades, EG and other pieces moved for a legimate 3rd piece. Then some bargin Shooters, including the one and only, Anthony Bennett. I am so excited to see him play in our system.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The whole point of the Draft Pick dump, was to get a player who'd be healthy in the playoffs.

I've never seen a bigger piece of ironic karma bite someone in the ass then Westbrook being injured as a big middle finger to Tilman.

That's what he gets for damning this franchise's future.

So, because of that the season was a failure due to the fact Westbrook was the one injured when the playoffs rolled around.

We continue to go all-in on outside shooting whilst not having reliable outside shooters.

We continue to be a one trick pony that will either beat and demoralise you, or allow teams to demoralise them.

All in all, this franchise is not in a great place right now. This franchise in all likelihood has one direction it's going to go for the foreseeable future.

LosPollosHermanos and tinman like this.
  10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Priority has to be getting a big who can offer what Jeff Green has for this team, vertical spacing, shooting and playmaking. A guy who can run a pick n roll either getting downhill, fading to the 3 point line or passing out of the short roll. I mean, that might just be Jeff Green, but if they can get someone younger great.

We could also really use a guard defender, someone to stop penetration when a team goes 5 out against us and we aren't able to strongly help off of shooters or pack the paint. No more Covington/Tucker blowbys. Granted, not every team has this, but I think teams will look at OKC this series and figure out how to play against us (providing they have quick, explosive guards obviously). Doesn't have to be a starter, but a guy like Dillon Brooks, De'Anthony Melton, Avery Bradley etc. A pressure guard.

I think Nwaba will be a very good addition too

11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I mean, who cares if Westbrook was injured for 4 games if the season ends today

12. UrbanEnterprise

healthy Westbrook, we gentleman sweep OKC

Beat the Lakers in 7

lose to the Clippers in 6 in the WCF

in my opinion, that would have been the outcome

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will get messy.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The bubble version of Westbrook was at 80%....was that enough for your Lakers series in 7?

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Probably people like me who know we traded away our next few years to have Westbrook perform in the Playoffs. And then not forget that he was injured when the Playoffs rolled around.

Whether the season is/isn't finished should make no difference to that.

In fact i'd say it makes it worse. One of our last couple of years we could truly say we were contending for a title, potentially gone.

OKC are laughing right now. That basically sums up the trade, and our season quite aptly.

tinman and daywalker02 like this.
  16. saner-s88

saner-s88 Member

1. fire MDA
    2.find С or big PF on the bench (Hartenstein was good before releasing)
    3. find TRUE shooter

17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

And what happens if that strike didn't happen and Westbrook leads us to win the next two games and we beat the Lakers after that?

We didnt' trade away our next few years, this is just false. We're possibly swapping a pick if we finish below the Heat or OKC next season, which if it happens means sliding down like 4 places in the 20s at most. We're possibly swapping a pick - top 20 protected - in 2025. And then we have top 4 protected picks traded away in 2024 and 2026, when if this run is all over we will be tanking hard for the top 4 anyway.

It's just disengenous to say we traded away our next few years. It's two pick swaps that likely will never happen, or if they do will see us move from 26th to 27th or something. Which leaves us with two actual traded away picks, which is not 'trading away the future'. In the next 5 years we still have picks in 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2025.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the NBA, still goes to work in some capacity.

NBA draft, working on a new season... the Rox are no part of that draft, alas.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Tilman allows us to use the full MLE before the season begins, we will be among the top seeds. Plus he should bring back green and rivers (we have early bird rights up to $10m per).

if all we need is a big man, it’s the easiest and cheapest thing to fix.

James has to show up in better shape too. It was not good this season. If you watch his career highlights, you will see his best moments have been when he’s been at his lightest.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's more symbolic as that the Rox are not known to build through the draft, foster talents other than Clint, and not adamant enough on bringing those Euro stashes over.

That's a future of some sort.