1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets OKC boycotting game 5 per woj

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Aug 26, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You could start by arresting the people who murdered Breona Taylor in her home when she was doing nothing illegal. BLM just wants accountability for police. That’s not too much to ask. No US citizen should have immunity for murder or attempted murder. The badge doesn’t stand for immunity from the law. It stands for upholding the laws in our beautiful country.

Genesis, DVauthrin, BigMaloe and 14 others like this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

That's a fine explanation. I don't care if that's the case.

3. Lovemachine2000

Why don't you tell us what you think has been going on in Hong Kong, in your own words? How many protesters have been killed by the Hong Kong Police?

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

They won't. This is the end of the season.

5. sheb

sheb Member

We’ll from all the messaging through the bubble, it seems like the players want justice for those killed to begin with. My guess would be they want the cops that killed people like Breonna Taylor prosecuted. Based on the commentary during all the lakers game by the announcers (tnt and ESPN). Comes down to AGs seriously prosecuting cops, so maybe ending immunity for them? Or maybe automatically launching a federal investigation when someone (anyone) is killed by the police. Idk what the solution is, but something tangible like that may be something they want.

DVauthrin, abaker28 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Those who are asking what else the NBA or police would actually do to satisfy the players aren't thinking broadly enough. The NBA players are not protesting the NBA. They are using their platform to make a statement. Some people may say, well I don't care what political beliefs NBA players have, I just want to watch sports. That's understandable. On the other hand, 5 years ago many people were saying, I don't care what the political beliefs of a reality show star are -- I just want to watch the Apprentice.

DVauthrin, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  7. sheb

sheb Member

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

That was all somewhat clear -- there's still a lot more steps between politicians / world leaders taking action and cops stopping black people for the color of their skin.

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The only law we have in this country is the law of money it can be outright beautiful and it can be the most disgusting thing on the face of the earth. See Congress

don grahamleone and RayRay10 like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone knows how this goes and its impact on other players in the league

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I totally agree, but the NBA can’t prosecute those cops, what could they do to help arrest them?

Edit: Just want to make this clear, the fact that NBA players are trying to make a statement against police brutality, and not the NBA, is understood. However the league and players/coaches have a mutual relationship that can be affected due to them sitting out.

At the end of the day i support what the players want to do and i get this is bigger than basketball, just want a little help understanding is all.

#152 Obito, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    don grahamleone likes this.
  13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I hope the people that lauded Daryl Morey's support of the Hong Kong protesters keep that same energy here in America.

joshuaao, Lovemachine2000 and dc rock like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I’m not worried It’s 10 dollars to a site that I’ve been posting on for 11 years and I’m optimistic. Win/win.

now you can go on nit picking every post with anyone who has a slight variance of opinion from you and feel that sense of pride that only comes from arguing with people on the internet.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

good for you. it should have been more. and you should do some research before acting like you're right and take others posts as information when theyre obviously keeping up with everything

17. macan

macan Member

looks like this season is over

18. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I've really been struggling with politics and social justice being so prevalent in sports, which is a lot of people's way to escape all of that and root for a team or a city and find excitement in a common goal.

Whatever the reasoning behind the boycott, this is the nail in the coffin for me. Jumping to conclusions and pouting about something we don't have all of the facts on yet, and robbing thousands of fans of the enjoyment of escaping this crazy world is selfish and uninspiring in my mind. It also breathes life into a movement that has good intentions, but is being hijacked by a group of domestic terrorists that are attacking and murdering innocent people.

I can't do it. Been a Rockets fan since 84, but I'm done. I grew up believing you work hard and do your job no matter what. Parent died? Play through it and inspire others. Personal problems? Figure them out after you do your job.

This statement by the players is empty and will alienate a lot of fans. It just worked with me. I'm done.

TheresTheDagger, ronclone and JumpMan like this.
  19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Always shifting the goalposts.

If you riot, they talk about all the innocent people that get affected.
    If you peacefully protest, they talk about how its pointless and annoying.
    If you let the black community continue to get killed like this, then that person deserved it or had it coming.

What about China? What about Hong Kong? What about...

I wonder why the black community is so frustrated?

Patience and Mr. Space City like this.
  20. Mr. Space City