1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Republican National Convention 2020 thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 18, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh wow that's good.

Nook, RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think all criminals and looters are bad people. I certainly don't support, criminals, including white collar criminals. Many looters are just robbers and crooks looking to steal. They aren't even in a group. Regardless, violence is not anything I condone. I don't support any violent groups. None. That includes hate groups like the KKK. They are all basically domestic terrorists to me.

I do question Trump's admiration and loyalty to Putin though, and why nothing was said about the whole terrorist issue and American troops. I also find it scary that so many dictator type rulers he seems to like, but hates so many Western leaders who support Democracy and healthcare or even free school for all.

I have heard Trump mention multiple terms far too many times for my comfort. I think he would love to have power forever like Russia and North Korea's leaders.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

https://justthenews.com/accountabil...tensive-contact?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Knee deep in it

4. Buck Turgidson

...socially distanced from across the room, in a chair.

B-Bob, RayRay10, basso and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Lying ******* liberal media!

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://theweek.com/speedreads/933609/trumps-base-turnout-strategy-also-base-expansion-strategy

Trump's base turnout strategy is also a base expansion strategy
    4:55 p.m.

Damon Linker
    If there's one thing mainstream-media pundits agree on, it's that Donald Trump's GOP has given up trying to appeal to anyone outside of the president's base. In an earlier era of American politics, one would expect the Republican nominee to pivot toward the center of the ideological spectrum in the general election. Instead, the Republican National Convention spent its opening night following a base-mobilization strategy in which speakers and videos spoke to the keenest fears of Trump voters. And this, we are told, is a sign of a dysfunctional campaign and party that's setting itself up for a big loss in November.

But there's another possibility. What if, instead of adjusting his message to appeal to people who are currently inclined to vote for Joe Biden, Trump is trying to persuade these voters to change their minds and come to him? What if, rather than treating voter preferences as static and adjusting his message to match them, Trump is trying to convince voters that their current preferences are out of sync with reality?

What if Trump is trying to expand his base not by moderating his positions but by radicalizing the electorate?

That's what the relentlessly ominous message of Monday night was all about. Trump is telling a story that is very scary but that makes perfect sense of rapidly accumulating accounts of riots and violent crime in cities across the country: Urban progressivism has wrecked Seattle and Chicago and Denver and New York — and if Joe Biden and Kamala Harris take over in January, the chaos and violence will come right to your doorstep. If you give them a chance to govern, your neighborhood will soon look just like Portland.

We don't know yet if the message will work. Reality is, of course, more complicated, and Trump is doing plenty to inflame the tensions himself. But we should recognize the attempt for what it is: An effort to turn a larger share of the electorate into Trump voters.

Damon Linker

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did not have that on my 2020 political bingo card.

Nook likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This argument also means things are super bad now. MAGA is not only missing in action for the last 3.5 years, it’s gotten worse. Is it now MAGAA?

joshuaao, RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Naw. Probably true. We hold our klan meetings Monday night. Ratings should be up tonight though

Nook, B-Bob and basso like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nicely done.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Cherry picking?
    Boring.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

There are plenty of people around the country still not wearing masks despite the advice of the leading expert, Dr. Fauci. Masks are not the only adised measure. Handwashing, social distancing and sanitizing common areas are also measures.
    People in this country are too used their freedoms and will basically do as they please.
    Donald Trump is not responsible for that.
    What's he supposed to do, mandate fines? Sure, that'll fix it.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Lol.
    So he's a politician and not a saint.
    You want an honest impotent POTUS, or one that tells a few lies(like a regular human) and actually gets things done?
    Get off your high horse.

B@ffled likes this.
  15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have it wrong - we want a generally honest POTUS who gets things done and acts like a human, not an impotent orange clown who has told more lies than every previous President combined.

Nook and deb4rockets like this.
  16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

link?

B@ffled likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Meh...if he had shown any ability to cross the aisle or try to play nice with the Dems without being an asshat, I could see this as a decent strategy. In reality, this is the only strategy he’s attempted and all it seems to have done is lost him followers (if the polls are to be believed).

Problem is, as @rocketsjudoka pointed out earlier, he’s playing this as if he’s the challenger...a situation where this strategy may work. However, he keeps trying to paint the inner-city troubles as Democratic issues, but he keeps claiming that he can fix these problems if he’s re-elected. If that’s the case, why doesn’t he fix them now?

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Lol.
    If you say so dude.
    I had no idea Democrats had such tender sensibilities.

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

It's almost like the traditional Republican states are...shall we say...**** hole states?!?

I'm glad that Texas is at least moving purple.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

nacho bidness likes this.