1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My College Choice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NIKEstrad, Apr 6, 2004.

?

Which Program?

1. UT Business Honors

46 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Washington University in St. Louis

18 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Tufts/New England Conservatory

18 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Other (or Tufts or NEC separately)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a regular hangout poster, but I thought I'd delve here to grab some insight.

After the long arduous application process, my admissions stuff is done (except for some final financial tweaking).

I've narrowed the field to three that either already are, or I expect to become reasonable in terms of their expenses (of course, some more than others). I've more or less eliminated Northwestern and Yale for financial reasons, and Tulane because it's neither cheaper nor of better quality than my "final three".

That said...

UT Business Honors Program
    Obviously, as an in-state student, this is the best financial option. Outside of that, it is an extremely impressive program. UT Business is in the upper tier, and the Honors Program seems to make people set for a career the moment they walk out the door.

Washington University in St. Louis
    This is a more expensive school, but I have serious prospects of a major scholarship. It's been climbing up the college rankings charts as fast as any college- I really liked the campus. It's business school however, is not as highly ranked as UT's.

Tufts University/New England Conservatory
    I've been accepted into a 5-year, duel degree program between these two schools, but I do have the option of taking one or the other (see "Other" option). Tufts is not as highly ranked as Wash U, but is still a very nice school. I liked the campus- though not as much as Wash U. Boston is a fantastic city. I was accepted into the New England Conservatory for trumpet performance, which is the wrench in my decisions- UT does not allow for duel majoring between Business and Music freshman year, and Wash U's music program is not on the same par. The schools are 8 miles apart, but have buses going between them. The program itself is highly selective- I had to get into each school separately, and then the program itself (which accepts 20>). Do I really want to spend 5 years in undergrad? The financial status for this one is less clear, but I do have the potential to make it work.

Any commentary on the schools or my situation is greatly appreciated. Of course, I'll answer any questions of anything that needs to be clarified.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have heard tremendous reviews about Washington University in general. If you did get accepted and considering they only let 24% of the people who apply there in, I would go for it.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

My vote swings to Tufts. Of course, that vote coming from an east coaster.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I picked Tufts/NEC. College should not be just a ticket punched in a vocational program. You should take the opportunity to explore yourself. Four years ago you were probably 14... think you've changed much? You will change and grow and explore as much or more in the next 4 years as the previous 4. Don't trap yourself into what you want to do now or who you think you want to be now.

Do the music, meet folks from a different parts of the country, and most importantly, enjoy the learning experience and discover yourself.

Good luck.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I voted Wash Univ in St. Louis because it is the best school on the list. Don't know enough about you to say what is rigt for you.. so just went with the best

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You really only have two choices and the answer will depend upon how important the music aspect is o you.

WUSTL is an outstanding university in a not-so-great city. Regardless, on academic merit alone it is by far your best choice of those listed. Additionally, it has pretty good alumni circuit that can help you the rest of your life.

Tufts/NEC is obviously (I think) your choice if you are serious about your music. Tufts is an established university that will never hurt you. Also, being in NE can round out your education in ways that you simply cannot get elsewhere. The dual degree/university program is very appealing for later in life as well. One extra year as an undergrad is meaningless. Don't make it out to be more than it is.

So, look to yourself as far as the music aspect. If you do go to WUSTL, though, I might be able to connect you to some (mostly jazz) musicians that would know much more about opportunities there (within and outside of WUSTL).

Anyway, I am leaning towards Tufts/NEC because I want you to grow as much as possible as a musician. And I know what is best for you. :)

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

ITT Tech...

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wash U is the best school on that list.

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

I picked Tufts/NEC because that sounds like a really great opportunity (as long as you don't mind crowded cities and cold weather). It's just too cool to have the chance to do that. I never regretted my decision to study chemistry - it's very useful - but I'm sad that I neglected my "inner music major". Now I'm realizing that I'm a musician, artist, etc., but may only be taken seriously as a scientist. I wouldn't have majored in music because I would have worried about my prospects after I got out; with your plan, though, you don't have to worry.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That is what I think to but I have no idea how good their music program is compared to the others, so I would probably go with what rimmy said.

BTW - I would have never guessed that NIKEstrad was getting ready to go to college. Reading his posts made me think he was in his mid to late 20's.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

dude... haha...

12. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Hey dude I grew up in Missouri but have gone to school in Boston and am about to graduate. Boston is a great city with a great atmosphere. If you haven't visited Tufts I hope it's not too late, I have friends there and the campus is nice... maybe a little out of the way... but you could still get into the city easily, and it's nice and quite, great views.

That said... many of my high school friends went to Wash U and I've heard nothing but good things. It's highly respected.

But you know what? If you really love the music then I say get the New England experience. I promise you you'll convert to a Red Sox fan by year three. Though the Cards will always be number 1 (I don't really dare post in the Astros forum), I've come to love everything about Boston, including the Sox. Just to warn you though... the environment and people here are pretty darn different, so it could take some getting used to.

Also... Yale and Northwester... especially if you want to get into business... I don't know if you should give up so hastily. You can basically borrow 100% of your tuition and not pay interest until you start working right? It might be worth it down the road.

13. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Congrats no matter what.

I think you really need to think about whether you want to continue playing trumpet. Getting into a conservatory is quite an accomplishment, you know. Now, are you willing to spend the time to live up to the admission? Are you planning to do anything with the knowledge you'll gain in the future?

If your answer is yes, then go with Tufts/Conservatory.

If it's maybe or no, then I think you should probably drop the Conservatory part of the equation. This may also eliminate Tufts.

UT is huge; if that's not to your liking, you may want to go to Washington Univ. It's a personal call.

Final piece of advice - where do you want to be in the long run? Odds highly favor you settling around a) your hometown or b) the place you went to school.

14. tozai

tozai Member

I'm biased, but I'd say why do you want to live in Boston or St. Louis when you can live in Austin? Anyways, if I were you I'd go to Yale regardless of financial circumstances.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Texas Texas Texas

Chicks
    Parties
    6th St.
    Barton Springs
    IM sports
    Chicks
    Weed
    Lake Travis
    Top-notch b-school
    Vince Young
    Rick Barnes

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Go with music man. I'm double majoring (music/journalism) at CU and while it's not as intense as it would be in a conservatory, it's still hard. That said, it's worth every second. If you love something, do it, the money/jobs/whatever will follow as long as your happy. The five years thing sucks, don't get me wrong, but it's not that big in the scheme of things. The hardest part is having a bunch of your friends from HS graduating and you have another year (which is what I'm going through right now). But hey, they have to get real jobs one year earlier while you get to have a good time.

I know there are other music majors on here (Imadrummer is if I remember correctly, and he's smart because he chose percussion as well), and they'll probably back me up on how they're glad they majored in music.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guys (and Gals)-

Thanks for the response thus far, I'll attempt to clarify some things.

I mentioned in another post, I'm about to graduate from HSPVA (performing arts high school). I have a pretty good deal of talent; I'm an all-state jazz trumpet player, and I was accepted to NEC as an orchestral trumpet student. I'm at the top of my school as far as trumpet goes in both areas. While I'm pretty good, I'm not THAT good- I don't think I can successfully make a living strictly in trumpet performance. I do have a huge passion for music however, and some advice I'm getting is that I can pursue music on the side, and incorporate it later on in my career. The question then becomes, if music is only part of my life, do I really want a performance degree from an esteemed conservatory that I may not really even use?

That's what I'm wrestling with in my mind right now. At Wash U, I'd have no problem majoring in music on the side- in fact, I've got the impression that I'd have very accessible playing opportunities but the (student) musicians surrounding me wouldn't be of the same caliber. At UT, I was actually waitlisted for the music program; the reason implied that I was already accepted into Business program (and later BHP). UT's music program is large enough that I'd still be able to play and take some classes, but I won't really know how much that will be unless I actually take that route.

Interesting that the choice that's gotten the most votes (UT BHP) has seemingly been the most silent. Anyone with any UT Business/Honors experience/advice?

Again, thanks to all for the comments!

18. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Not to get too far off subject, but didn't Beyonce Knowles go to HSPVA?

But as far as schools go, I can't say much about any of those programs, because I lack the knowledge. What I do know is that Austin is a magnificent place to live and go to school. It's a college town, so the overall climate is conducive with the labors a college student will endure. But it's also the 16th largest city in America and has all and more of the ammenities and comforts that you're probably used to, having grown up in Houston. It's the best college city in the world. Seriously.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

UT at Austin is a great choice. Austin is a great college town and the "live music capital of the US" and a great place to spend four years.

Boston is another great college town and place to spend four/five years. They also have a strong music scene. There are something like 22 colleges/universities in the Boston area, so there is a ton of stuff to do. Catching a game at Fenway is not to be missed. If Tufts is near a T stop, you will have easy access to the city which is a very Good Thing (tm).

I have reservations about the extents of your musical pursuits. It sounds like you may be biting off more than you will want to chew. Not a few people run aground at college, by letting their outsides interests/hobbies take too much of their time. A better choice may be to take music on the side, so it can easily be ditched if the going gets tough.

Another consideration is that all work and no play makes NIKEstrad a dull boy. Leave lots of room on your dance card for wild parties and women. Just think of all the women you will let down if you don't ;)

BTW, I have lived in both Austin and Boston.

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Boston, Texas?