1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outdoor grills advice: pellet vs. gas vs. charcoal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 23, 2020.

?

Which type of grill do you prefer

1. pellet

23.2%
  2. gas

21.7%
  3. charcoal

55.1%
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"You know you're NOT a redneck when you use meat-sensor WIFI-enabled probes to check on the state of your meat on the grill!"

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I've used a 6lb bag of lump charcoal for 2 or 3 cooks before. I guess the insulation of a kamado helps with the burn? If briquettes burn longer, I haven't seen it, and if it does it has to be minimal I'm a certain cooking setting.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've moved out of the sticks, into the tech sticks.

Actually, I'm still in the sticks and don't even have wifi, I can use bluetooth though, and for real important cooks, I can hotspot.

#hightechhick

Surfguy likes this.
  5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure it matters less (if at all) with a real smoker. However if trying to use a kettle grill with indirect heat for a long smoking session, I don't think it's going to be possible with lump charcoal. 1.) it's way too hot and ignites too easily...your snake will be fully lit way to quickly and won't be able to keep the temp low enough, and 2.) it's in all different shapes and size so if you're trying to set up a snake/domino for a long grill session it's going to be difficult to set it up and the heat will be all over the place. With briquettes it's pretty easy since they just lean against each other. I've done setups similar to the spoiler below, and have been able to go for about 8 hours without having to add more charcoal.

I wonder if those saying briquettes don't burn longer than lump are really talking about "burn hot" for longer. Because that's definitely true. But from my experience, briquettes smolder for a lot longer, albeit lower temperatures that are ideal for smoking at close ranges.

[​IMG]

#125 DCkid, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    SuraGotMadHops, Blake and JumpMan like this.
  6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Nope, but they have their own app.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Been up since 4 and smoking a brisket for dinner tonight.

8. Buck Turgidson

Where's your wifi/pellet/cheater pit, then you could have slept in. ;)

I think I really want and Egg more than a Traeger, think I'd use it more, and for more different things. Dunno yet, though.

Next project when it's not 110 degrees outside is refinishing the extra offset smoker and selling it. Anyone done this? I know the general how-to and whatnot, but if anyone has any tips and/or tricks I'm all ears.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm using my pellet smoker to make burnt ends (poor man's burnt ends....out of chuck roast) and then I'm gonna do some smoked queso. Inviting the in laws over.

Been pushing my son on his swing set I built him, helping him slide down the slide, and now I'm inside watching golf.

Oh, I also mowed a small part of my lawn (about a quarter acre) during the initial warm up phase and the first few minutes of the smoke.

Love this thing so far. This is only my second cook. Cooked pork tenderloin last night and it was very good. Just noticed the lid doesn't close all the way at the bottom, though. It's like a screw is off kilter or something. Will try and fix after the cook tonight.

10. Blake

Ha! Using a Backwoods G2 Chubby cabinet smoker with oak wood.

got nothing against pellets but I like fooling around with smokers

Re: Egg...I have a Kamado Joe. I love ceramics but the only thing to warn you on is the size of a regular egg (or competing brand like mine) is you are limited on amount you can cook. 3 racks of ribs tops and that is using a rib rack. One brisket, one butt etc but they hold temp fantastically and are great to grill with as well as they can get super hot.

Almost time to crack open a beer. Brisket up to 199...4 more degrees and I will pull it. It is running about an hour ahead of schedule but oh well...

LFE171 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So someone converted a deposit safe into a smoker.... Interesting.

I agree on the kamado comment. Usually with a brisket I have to cut one end so that I can fit it in there. Pisses me off more than it should.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Nobody ever talks about the Blackstone Griddle. I just don't get it. ;)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Blake

Lol it does look like a deposit safe. Holds a steady temp But is a bit lacking on a smoke ring if you care about that

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I went with the Egg because when I looked at the Traegers, to me they felt cheap. Thin gauge metal. Just doesn't seem like they're built to last. I love my Egg. Only issues I have with it is that it's a little of a pain if you just want to cook some hot dogs or something that will take a couple of minutes and that it can be a little temperamental getting to temp depending on the ambient temp. If it's cold out, it's going to take longer. If it's hot, you have to keep more of an eye on it. But, once you're locked in, you're locked in.

I'm smoking some ribs today. My 11-yr old son has really gotten in to BBQ lately and loves ribs.

EDIT: @Blake is right, too. I have a large Egg and you're limited to what you can cook due to the size. There are accessories that allow you to do more, though...but definitely only 1 brisket at a time.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I got to play with a large green egg at my rental in Destin. I didn't like it much. I prefer my kettle more for grilling. A lot more temp control, easier to light, and much easier to clean. I would hate it for smoking compared to my smokey mountain. No space, and not enough room for the water pan.

I see the draw for versatility but it does not perform as well as a a kettle grill or dedicated smoker.

16. Blake

They perform as well as a dedicated smoker. The only issue is size if you are cooking for lots of people. You can put a water pan on the place setting (ceramic piece that blocks the direct heat) below the grates. In fact you are supposed to do that anyway to catch the fat drippings

I think it controls temp better than a kettle (I have a kettle) once you figure it out but when you factor in price a kettle wins by a mile as it is basically the perfect charcoal grill.

#136 Blake, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Resurrected my account from the dead just to say propane grilling sucks. That's an outdoor stove.

If you want to get into real grilling buy a cheap Old Smokey and learn about the righteous ways of charcoal and charcoal accessories.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I actually want one of these for cooking larger meals.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's plenty of room for a water pan. Did it just yesterday. If you have the Conveggtor plate, you can place a water pan on it under the grate. I made some fantastic ribs yesterday doing just this. Space is certainly an issue. Without the rib rack, I can only do 2 racks. With it, I think I can do 4 or 5. As I mentioned earlier, there's also an accessory that allows for more items.

As far as lighting, I just throw a fire starter in the middle of the lump hardwood, light it and walk away. Pretty simple stuff. Then you come back and set the daisy and the door to get to temp. Cleaning is a bit of a pain and absolutely necessary. If you want the accurate temp control, you have to keep the well clean.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah, I was just wasn't feeling it and I was super excited to play with it. It's the only type of grilling or smoking device I haven't used. Well that and a expensive gravity fed smoker. My weber smokey mountain is much easier to use. I can stick 4 briskets in it, put in a bag of charcoal, fill it with 4-5 gallons of water, and not touch it for 10 hours. Only bad thing about it is it uses a lot of fuel.