1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

League fires Rockets/NBA photographer, removes him from the Bubble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 14, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Totally depends on what the derogatory post was. For example, had he posted a "dumb and dumber" campaign picture of Pence and Trump, I suspect he would still be employed.

DVauthrin and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Just so I understand, because their opinion differs from yours they now lack decency, common sense and are not educated? The overreach on the part of the rockets and nba here is absurd. And make NO mistake, as pointed out by CXbby, this is about what side of the political aisle you are on. In fact, if I were him, I would open a lawsuit against the Rockets for wrongful termination and my defense team would start with that tweet by Lebron James and his opinion about the POTUS.

And to all you bible thumpers preaching it was done in bad taste, how many of you have a post somewhere on a social media outlet that could be considered “bad taste” from your employer or from someone with a differing opinion? Let me know how you feel when you’re terminated from your job because of it. It would be wrong then correct, if it were done to you?

Worst case, if he’s been a model employee, he should have been counseled and given the opportunity to remove it or given the option to die on his own sword. This isn’t about freedom, it’s about hushing and public shaming those who don’t agree with you. Last time I checked we were still living in America with the right to free speech. Apparently that freedom matters only according to your political and social opinions.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm not a Trump supporter or even a conservative. Just someone with eyes and a brain that can see the hypocrisy in this case.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Cancel culture is crap. The NBA is embarrassing.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Accountability

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't know why so many people choose to be dumb on social media.

DVauthrin, D-rock and HoustonWest like this.
  7. bobrek

When I was working, if we did anything publicly that would reflect negatively on our employer we would be subject to termination. This was in our corporate guidelines since at least 1985 when I started working for my last company.

And...you don't know what free speech is.

8. SamFisher

Actually didn't former NBA stiff Spencer Hawes used to show off his Obama toilet paper (get it, so he could **** on the first African American president's face! Sick burn and totes funny!)

What was the NBAs response?

That's right, nothing.

KingCheetah and tycoonchip like this.
  9. bobrek

Not only that, didn't the POTUS call NFL players SOBs? Did he get fired?

SamFisher, KingCheetah and tycoonchip like this.
  10. SamFisher

Facebook is now predominantly a safe space for right wing toxic waste so its probably hard for people to process that it looks really bad to most people outside those confines

HoustonWest likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

#131 CXbby, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    tycoonchip likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not accountability when it’s aimed at some and not aimed at others. You can shine up a turd til it’s gold but at the end of the day it’s still a turd.

13. SamFisher

Exactly. That's why "cancel culture" is not a thing.

Its just accountability. Hundreds of years overdue.

And, btw, you're wrong in that one person, finally, being held to account is invalid because others go free. Trump should be in jail, but Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen are serving the sentences. They're being held accountable for their actions, even though their boss is not.

HoustonWest and DaDakota like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It can’t be accountability if it’s one sided. It’s censorship to some and promotion to others, not accountability.

15. bobrek

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

DVauthrin likes this.
  17. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

For having a political opinion different of the NBA? Had he tweeted something similarly offensive about Trump I guarantee you he still has his job. I’m not saying what he posted is correct but the cancel culture in this country is an embarrassment.

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

he was not an employee. He was an independent contractor with a contract that the league could terminate. And they did. If they violated the contract, he can sue. I can almost guarntee you the contract says that the league can terminate at any time. Which is perfectly legal.

if he were an employee, any lawsuit would be dismissed for failure to state a claim almost immediately. If he were an employee of the rockets (he is not), that’s governed by TX law, where employees are Employed “at will” and can be fired for any reason unless contrary to actual law .... like firing someone for their race, religion, age, gender, etc

This is not about overreach. The NBA severed ties with a photographer who is easily replaceable because it is simply not worth it to them to deal with any fallout of this. They could terminate him if he posted about legalizing cocaine, meth usage, dog fighting....none of which is political. And they share as sh-t would terminate if he did that. This isn’t about free speech being trampled. It’s about an adult (who seems to be a good guy for the record) who exercised poor judgment and lost his job over it. Almost everything you posted to the contrary is wrong.

now, to your point about free speech ... It seems you think that people should be free to post stuff on personal social media accounts without fear of retribution by their employers? I would question that premise - is it really good that social media has created a world in which people feel compelled to post any random thought on their minds, no matter how serious, well or ill thought out, no matter how trivial, important, offensive or sanguine? Is it actually good that human beings are engaged with each other in increasing frequency, with decreasing thought, Increasing fervor and volume, on a near non stop basis. Or should we prefer a society where people give thought to what they say, with due consideration for time and place?

cancel culture has its downsides, yes, that’s true. But if people become aware of real life examples of consequences for behavior...perhaps that’s not a bad thing, and people may pause and actually think about what they say, time and place. We do that every day when we speak to other human beings. When we fail to, people say stupid, rude or a-hole things, and there are relational consequences, including potentially job consequences.

So to summarize...the NBA acted perfectly rationally and legally. And while I feel really bad for Baptist, speaking broadly, our society would benefit from more adult behavior and thinking, and less posting of stuff without consideration of time and place.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This notion that EVERY opinion counts is just idiotic. Not all opinions are equal some are flat out monkey assed stupid - and no, we don't have to respect the DUMBASS for having an opinion.

Sometimes it is best just to say....stop being a dumbass.

DD

REEKO_HTOWN, D-rock and HoustonWest like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, THAT is a smart and intuitive post.....folks want to label something they are afraid of....ACCOUNTABILITY because calling it "Cancel Culture" somehow makes it easy to frame.

It is really - Accountability - it is just time that folks stand up and hold idiots responsible for their own actions. It is hard for privileged people to give up their advantage.

Oh well, that is the way the MAJORITY wants it.....get used to it.

DD