1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to ban "low-income" housing in "suburban" neighborhoods

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Anticope

Anticope Member

I do a lot of work involving HUD-financed multifamily housing throughout Texas and the idea that low income properties bring problems like crime to the neighborhoods that they're located in is just complete nonsense that gets peddled way too often. These properties are held to higher standards than other properties with regards to maintenance and upkeep and oftentimes offer beneficial services like daycare to their residents. Low income tenants still have to have verified employment and pass background checks just like anyone else and people working low income jobs deserve to be able to have affordable housing without having to drive 20+ miles to their place of employment. I live right next door to an affordable apartment complex in Austin and have never had a single issue.

Most of the time when Trump spouts off stupid nonsense I just shrug it off and move on because he's a loudmouth idiot who will say anything for attention, but this one really got to me as it's extremely cold-hearted and just another example in a long line of racist dog whistles aimed solely at pleasing his base. What a POS.

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Oops double post!

Carl Herrera and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most places, you still have to pay rent for low income housing which you aren't going to take unless you have stability. Also it's really hard to get section 8 housing in a good neighborhood. Most of the complexes that have low-income housing are filled with working class people.

The funny thing is that well-to-do suburbs need low income housing because who the heck is going to work a lot of the jobs in those neighborhoods?

I am curious as to what posters who are against rules that require diversity in low-income housing think about Trumps's statement. @Os Trigonum ?

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have a rental near low income housing in EADO. Crime seems higher there and you have a lot of homeless in the area. What's the reason? Just curious for your insight. Maybe low income housing doesn't bring the crime, maybe they put low income housing where the crime already is? Is that it?

I have no issue with low income housing. I have more in common with people that live in low income housing than I do the celebrity billionaire President.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, living where you need a car to get around was a great idea for low-income people to begin with o_O

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

I think you're right in that a lot of it comes down to the area where housing is being placed, I deal primarily with construction of tax credit properties located in middle class areas and have seen no evidence that these properties bring any sort of additional crime or problems to these areas. EaDo is a pretty heavily gentrified area though and gentrified areas still tend to have lingering crime and homelessness problems. That area in particular has had significant issues with homelessness for a while now I believe.

Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.