1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo: Some Rockets players infected with COVID

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 5, 2020.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

#121 sirbaihu, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You really think hundreds of NBA players are leaving their families for weeks during a pandemic to go live in a bubble, all for the upside of a small handful of regular-season games? Those revenues are a drop in the bucket compared to the playoff TV money, and that's before we get into the lockout and CBA ramifications, the competitive drive to win a title, etc. It is a risk, and they know it, which is why the reward needs to be significant. A few regular-season games is not it.

Too many of you are overthinking this. The single biggest driver behind the NBA's decision to play is that the players are willing to accept a certain amount of risk to avoid going potentially years without any new income. Maybe you'd do it differently if you were in their shoes, and that's fair. Is it going to be completely safe? Of course not, and they understand that. (That said, "home life" isn't safe, either, as evidenced by all the positives in recent weeks.) As for this case, they simply view the alternative as worse. It's a hard decision with no easy answers.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I second this. In fact, I posted the same point of view, once I heard 16 players had tested positive. The risk is too high, as you said Apache.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

We don't know too much about Covid 19 to assume a person in the long run won't endure illness in other ways. Once one player spreads it during the season, the games will get shut down. Unless Lebron James or Giannis, NBA will pause the season for 4 weeks to resume it once the guys are healthy.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tj taking his clown show to the GARM. Tough act.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It was worth a try. SARS and MERS are both corona viruses that lessened in potency as warmer hotter weather
    arrived. Chance that Covid-19 was cooked up in a lab and is more resilient and kick up a notch again as the colder weather comes in September.

IMO Spring Break, Mardi Gras, Chinatown event, New York (contaminated subway system) sparked things up in the
    early stages of the virus. Now after a period of lock down (shelter in place) Memorial Day weekend, protests, 4th
    of July and rallies or gatherings have lead to an instability in the integrity of the bubble to be in Orlando.

Gobert is claiming to still be struggling with some side effects of Covid some 2 to 3 months after the fact.

Don’t @ me CF’s. I’m staying away from politics on a basketball forum. Take it to the D&D if you want to get political.

Take care saleem. Stay safe.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks Apache. Take Care.

9. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

It's crazy that truth and fact are considered of the chains today. Most immigration laws are enforced. They alway have been. It's just that racism has been on the upswing for the past couple decades, and Republicans are really great at using this as a wedge issue to get their base out. The laws that aren't enforced are the ones where whitey lures poor people with work so he can exploit them with cheap labor. You start throwing whitey in jail, and this "problem" goes away.

10. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

The bubble will be safer that the environment that we (at least in Houston area) are in now. I'm not worried about the NBA. I AM worried about baseball - they're traveling to each other's ballparks?? That's crazy!

jch1911 likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Okay.

joshuaao, napalm06, Ubiquitin and 2 others like this.
  12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thank you for the work you and your wife are doing and thank you for this post.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thats just what the other side wants you to believe.

#staywoke

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Stop whining about cancellation. For someone with a persecution complex, you sure invite it.

We live in Texas, and fear of COVID in Texas is by no means unsubstantiated or irrational... it is very real, particularly if you're an essential worker or healthcare worker. Also, remember that our behavior determines the fate of those essential workers and healthcare workers.

Texas set a record for deaths and hospitalizations yesterday. Hospitals in Texas metropolitan areas are forecast to be overwhelmed in weeks. We only recently had a state mask order put in place. Prior to that cities were banned from creating mask orders, and managing the situation themselves based on their local needs and medical capacities, which was the definition of stupidity. The results of the mask order won't start being felt for another week, and in the meantime, cases and hospitalizations will continue to surge, likely to the point where mortality rates will increase due to diminishing quality of care.

If you're tired of irrationality, then you should stop reading Facebook and watching cable news. There are plenty of rational individuals, and news sources. However, the irrationality and mismanagement at state and federal levels is hard to escape even then. Most of us are furious about the situation, which tends to drag the level of discourse down. If you want to do something productive, you might try fighting outright lies and conspiracies. These are the things that are the most damaging to us as a society and have made this situation worse than it should be and will continue to do that.

Right now the US stands at 130k deaths. Pretty much every model out there has us at 150k deaths by the end of this month. Beyond that, unknowns start to take over, but we likely have another year of this thing before it's done.

For every adult alive right now that lost of loved one, lost their job, lost their livelihood, or just had to live through this situation, we'll forever debate what could have happened. Could we have been South Korea and contained this thing through goodwill toward others, respect and cooperation?

34to11, FLASH21, Mr. Turbo and 2 others like this.
  15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This type of misinformation needs to be called out. The CEOs of Texas Childrens, Memorial Hermann, St Luke's, and Methodist said that the hospital overcrowding fear is unwarranted and that there is AMPLE SPACE in the hospitals. This isn't me saying it, it's literally the top rung of the top hospitals in Houston.

How can you possibly defend your statement after hearing this?

16. raining threes

Agreed about how to solve the problem

It ain't just poor whitey breaking the immigration laws. There are many minority owned businesses in the construction industry that break immigration laws. You need to get out of your bubble and start not viewing everything through the prism of race.

17. raining threes

Tell me Doc, how long does a regular surgical mask or bandana work and if they truly work then why was the economy shut down?

I'm not against people wearing masks, but if you aren't wearing a N-95 mask you're pissing in the wind. We are Frontline guys and I have my guys wearing respirators.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hey Mo-ron, let's read together:

Trader Hore so pumped that there's a ventilator waiting for him at the Children's hospital. You are a stupid person, TJ.

Here's your fave kiddie hospital, Dumbo. For some reason, they are taking adults.

19. Genghis352

Genghis352 Member

I wrote out a long reply to the previous post of yours but it's sitting in moderation queue so not posted. In brief, of course the CEO's of these hospitals would say this. They're business people and actively trying to run a business. It's a half-truth though. You can go on the TMC website and see the numbers as they get reported. Take Methodist, they want to be "leading medicine" and gaining the support and loyalty of Houstonians for their healthcare. If the CEO came out and said "Nah fam, we're full and drowning in covid and don't know what to do. Don't come here or you'll get the rona!" that would be bad for business, both now and in the future. It would hurt the public trust in them.

If you look at ICU capacity, right now a lot of it is still non-covid so they can say "Hey, yeah, we've got space" but it involves either kicking out or stopping non-emergent non-covid care, transferring patients to other hospitals, or converting non-ICU space into ICU space (aka surge, phase II, phase III, etc.). I would post links but because I never actually post I can't without it also getting stuck in moderation. When you look at the total covid ICU and med-surg beds, the curve is very steep and likely unsustainable at that rate. The bed space also does not take into account staffing and healthcare provider availability with adequate training. TMC organizations have sent surveys out to their healthcare providers asking them how comfortable they are working in areas outside of their clinical specialty (aka, you are an OBGYN, how comfortable are you working in the ICU? Intubating? Managing a vent?). While they have the ability to flex those beds, I don't think you want a dermatologist or psychiatrist being your ICU physician just to be able to staff that extra space.

Oh, and because you credential checked someone else earlier -> I'm a physician who works in the TMC and my significant other also works in critical care in one of these ICU's.

20. Genghis352

Genghis352 Member

I've written two responses but they both got stuck waiting for mod approval because of links. Here is a reply sans links that hopefully doesn't....

In brief, of course the CEO's of these hospitals would say this. They're business people and actively trying to run a business. It's a half-truth though. You can go on the TMC website and see the numbers as they get reported. Take Methodist, they want to be "leading medicine" and gaining the support and loyalty of Houstonians for their healthcare. If the CEO came out and said "Nah fam, we're full and drowning in covid and don't know what to do. Don't come here or you'll get the rona!" that would be bad for business, both now and in the future. It would hurt the public trust in them.

If you look at ICU capacity, right now a lot of it is still non-covid so they can say "Hey, yeah, we've got space" but it involves either kicking out or stopping non-emergent non-covid care, transferring patients to other hospitals, or converting non-ICU space into ICU space (aka surge, phase II, phase III, etc.). I would post links but because I never actually post I can't without it also getting stuck in moderation. When you look at the total covid ICU and med-surg beds, the curve is very steep and likely unsustainable at that rate. The bed space also does not take into account staffing and healthcare provider availability with adequate training. TMC organizations have sent surveys out to their healthcare providers asking them how comfortable they are working in areas outside of their clinical specialty (aka, you are an OBGYN, how comfortable are you working in the ICU? Intubating? Managing a vent?). While they have the ability to flex those beds, I don't think you want a dermatologist or psychiatrist being your ICU physician just to be able to staff that extra space.

Oh, and because you credential checked someone else earlier -> I'm a physician who works in the TMC and my significant other also works in critical care in one of these ICU's.