1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Turnaround times for these tests were 15 minutes. I heard that there is a 10-20% false negatives which is high, but honestly, taking a test and not finding out the results for a whole week later has its own drawbacks as well.

Going to get to get tested again but this time not the rapid ones, to confirm that I'm negative.

BMoney, Kim and Amiga like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you, however, when the current administration wants to go backwards on healthy initiatives, I don't see how we will reach the people when we don't even want to try at the K - 12 level.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...inistration-michelle-obama-school-lunch-rules

Nook likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

I don't get why this is so hard to figure out. China has tons of cases going back to January. Why not just test all those people's antibody levels? It would at least give us a 6-month estimate. Italy has them going back to February and March. That would give us 3-month numbers. This seems like such a critical question and one that should be so easy to get initial answers on.

4. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

there have been some .... as with almost everything with this virus, it's complicated

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-...-antibodies-last-not-that-long/article/573512

The study's authors made a big assumption, writing they had concluded that the remaining 10 percent of infected patients with no detectable antibodies, combined with the lack of antibodies in healthcare workers, suggests that “after SARS-CoV-2 infection, people are unlikely to produce long-lasting protective antibodies against this virus.”

This particular study noted that over 90 percent of both groups showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2 IgG antibodies within 2 to 3 months after the onset of infection. Additionally, this study showed that 40 percent of the asymptomatic group tested negative for IgG antibodies 8 weeks after they were released from isolation, compared to 13 percent of the symptomatic patients.

“Overall, these results are interesting and provocative but more research is needed, following large numbers of people over time,” Daniel Davis, an immunologist at the University of Manchester, tells Newsweek. “Only then will we clearly know how many people produce antibodies when infected with coronavirus, and for how long.”

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

*deleting original post because it was apparently incorrect*

#8805 Haymitch, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    No Worries, KingCheetah and Ziggy like this.
  6. Asian Sensation

To open the mail, grocery shop and go for a run or play basketball? Decisions decisions.

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Just be careful and follow the latest protocol. It's funny how just the vague scientific community that are far from microbiologists are non-chalant about the situation. You google glacial ancient viruses and you find that a couple months back a team of 96 researchers all contracted another unknown virus recently defrosted from an expedition. Yet most, myself included, didn't notice any media coverage for those that sacrificed themselves on behalf of something deadlier with a 60% kill rate. There is definitely more misery and agony to be had so take caution while you're at it.

#8807 Sanctity, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeesh...

Nook, No Worries and Amiga like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

She just #NeedsToLiveWithIt

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sorry but you are wrong on the nutrition and general health aspect. Yes these things I mentioned are also backed by research. Yes those things will help you with a virus and what is silly is to think they won’t when they have been show to help. I can post the research again or you can look for yourself.

We aren’t talking about HIV. We are talking about corona virus. It’s kind of silly you bring up something that isn’t what is the issue at hand.

<3

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Already found out some people I know got it
    Houston people need to iso like Steve Francis

RKREBORN likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

I value my brothers health
    All of them

13. Amiga

Supporting Member

it doesn’t hurt to take those vitamins but do they help or not to prevent or reduce the symptoms of covid19 - I haven’t seen any science that said so. I have seen some of the correlation you have provided but I don’t recall anything that is conclusive. I would take them, especially if you are deficient in any of them and yes, we do know they have antiviral property and can help the immune system - but until I see conclusive study, I consider at best maybe it could help and I absolute do not think of them as a replacement for healthy lifestyles and recommended masking, distancing and reduce contacts during a rapid spread locally...

jboslett likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

spoiler because I’m drunk but I still think i need to reply

I’m not trying to be rude but are you trying to stick your head in the sand? I don’t mean to sound like a dick but I’m going to have to do the work for you. If I have to, I can, but it’s horribly disappointing. The links are in the thread but I’ll go out of my way tomorrow to provide them.....again....there are books to read on this too. I have no idea what suits people best.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

If you can't smell or taste this forum, you might be in the 10 % who can never smell or taste again. Not everyone has recovered fully. Let the fear ensue. imagine losing both of those.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Get well Pringles

17. jboslett

jboslett Member

I found the study on using glacial ice to find novel viruses, but saw nothing on any of the researchers actually contracting the virus. Are you sure about that last bit?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Clinicians have long observed an association between excessive alcohol consumption and adverse immune-related health effects such as susceptibility to pneumonia. In recent decades, this association has been expanded to a greater likelihood of acute respiratory stress syndromes (ARDS), sepsis, alcoholic liver disease (ALD), and certain cancers; a higher incidence of postoperative complications; and slower and less complete recovery from infection and physical trauma, including poor wound healing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4590612/

Nook, ElPigto, NotInMyHouse and 2 others like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

20. Amiga

Supporting Member

absolutely not.. I don’t do blindness by choice!

I appreciate you doing that, going back and listing the links. I want good data and at time speak frankly about how i interpret them which may come off wrong. As usual, nothing personal, just questioning what I don’t get or see differently...