1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Just an FYI, City of Houston is suppose to give us (Harris County) their dataset of positives on a daily basis. For whatever reason, we have not gotten updated cases since this past Thursday, which is why the numbers are off.

This coming from a guy that might have direct access to all the underlying data ;). I'll ping someone on it since our dashboard is causing some confusion here.

Joshfast likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You didn’t even click the link. It breaks it down county by county...so yes I showed you the Harris county numbers.

Nook and Ziggy like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What do you mean you haven’t got updated cases? Is the data in this link https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata/ accurate?

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

They are suppose to FTP us a summary of their case data so we can combine it into our dashboard automatically. Yes, they are letting the public and the state know, but our automated process is failing because they aren't providing the cases from the weekend.

I stirred some **** here at work about it, lol. So expect it to be correct in the next few days I guess.

Edit: Yes, the state should have the most accurate and up to date data since each testing lab is required to report positives to the state. Later the state will transfer that data to the regional health departments. There is no requirement for the city of Houston to report numbers to us, since it is outside our jurisdiction. They are doing this as a data sharing effort.

Joshfast, robbie380, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I did :)

I wanted to also say this. We can't possibly isolated a huge portion of the population (higher risk pool) - just impossible. So the IFR will creep up when that population get "hit" eventually. It could be less damaging here vs Asian countries (less older folks living with young adult), but we do have a less healthy population and so it's not just the older folks.

The reason I put out some of these numbers is because... we, the healthier, even if we think we are at a much much lower risk, do play a part in the overall death number. That's on us. The higher risk pools are likely going to be much more careful. Even if it's 0% for us, do we, as a group, have enough care and empathy to do whatever we can to a reasonable extend to reduce the risk to probably 50% of the population? Masking is so basic. Social distancing isn't that hard. To me, that's what's so sad... it seems we do not vs EU and Asia.

robbie380 likes this.
  6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

herd immunity baby. it's gonna take years but it's the only realistic outcome while most people wait for a vaccine.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

San Leon Dollar General now has a mask policy.

**** is getting real

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As someone who values their health highly (exercise, eat right, non-smoker), realizes we don't fully understand the long term affects of this virus, doesn't want to be hobbled with sickness for 2-3-4-5 weeks and has never been to the hospital to treat an illness before.... I've got to disagree big-time on a personal level.

Like I've been saying. Herpes wont kill me but I don't want it.

Why is DEATH the only stat that matters?

Nook, arkoe, I am a Donut and 9 others like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, agree. Have heard from people who had a mild case and their heart still isn't beating right. Like, no thank you. :confused:

Heard an interesting comment on local public radio this morning, from a doctor. She mentioned HPV as a virus that initially seemed to have no impact or no symptoms. Now we know it causes cervical cancer and penile cancer years later. We have no idea what this new virus is going to do years later. Would rather not experiment with it, if I can avoid it.

#8290 B-Bob, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  10. cebunit

cebunit Member

HEB on Jones and West had most of their customers wearing their mask. There were still a few though that dgaf. It even says it on a huge banner at the door that they are required.

HEB, if you're going make masks required, don't half ass it. Although I do understand that this would likely lead to some uncomfortable customer interactions, it has to be done.

We are past the point of control but we can do our part to not make it worse. And we have July 4th coming up, buckle up!

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

The patrons at the san Leon dollar general could be extras in an episode of the walking dead.

Good luck to them trying to enforce it.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  12. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

After reading and seeing comments about the virus. I can see a few people in this bbs acting like this man.

Nook and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Abott is playing this very well politically. When asked why masks are not mandatory state wide he says there needs to be flexibility because not all areas are hot spots.

So he’s letting Hidalgo and the rest take the heat and he can forever say he’s not impinging on the rural redneck freedoms.

cheke64 likes this.
  14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It maybe politically beneficial but it could be the right policy balance too. It's probably two weeks too late because he didn't even clarify that localities could ask businesses to do so until after the recent spike. Prior to that he was all about redneck freedom! and business owner freedom! He took the bite out of most local enforcement initiatives the last couple of months.

Major likes this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I love listening to these mask-less peckerwoods threaten to sue and file a class action lawsuit. First off, you are arguing against workers who are following a policy laid down by corporate at the highest level. They are just doing their jobs. They could give a f**k what you have to say about it. Stupid idiots. Fine...don't wear a mask...but GTFO here you! Go b**** on Facebook. Nobody cares.

16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

So hundreds of thousands dead is cool?

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think we broke a daily new cases record today here in Texas...over 5,000 cases. Yikes.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They shifted the goalposts (warm weather, like the flu, only happens elsewhere, etc) because you know...they suck.

Anyways, NO ONE wants to consider overflowing hospitals, so we let those dumbshits expose their narcissism until the time comes when they slink away and people with REAL RESPONSIBILITIES have to deal with the aftermath.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Texas is a big place. The 4 big metro areas have much different needs than west Texas. His biggest mistake is preventing the cities from doing more strigent rules a few weeks back.

B-Bob likes this.