1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien to take a knee with players

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jun 12, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's incredible that it hasn't gained more traction. I've tweeted it a number of times in response to his tweets, but, alas, I'm a nobody.

None of the Trump supporting Kaepernick bashers on this site have responded either.

2. CallMeTheDream

This. Remove that dumbass pledge that means nothing or does nothing for my people. But I promise you players will still find a way to get the message across. The first offensive drive for each team should be a qb kneel. Love seeing you mfs tryna silence us, it won’t work...

BigShasta likes this.
  3. raining threes

You might want to read a book that I'm currently in the middle of.

White Guilt by Shelby Steele

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.radio.com/articles/deshaun-watson-expects-to-hear-from-texans-ownership
    https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watson-expecting-uncomfortable-conversations-212339350.html

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson expects uncomfortable conversations at training camp after the May 25 death of George Floyd sparked protests and activism that he, some of his teammates and others around the NFL joined.

The team has not been together in person since last season because of the pandemic, and so much has changed since then.

“It’s going to be different,” Watson said on a YouTube Live session with Carmelo Anthony on Monday, via WFNZ. “I honestly, right now, today couldn’t tell you exactly how it’s going to be, but it’s definitely going to be a lot of tests for a lot of people, especially for the white teammates. The majority of the players in the NFL are black guys. So for people to walk in that locker room, and the majority of that locker room is black, are the white guys tagging along? Are the coaching staff tagging along? I know coach [Bill] O’Brien already said he’s going to tag along. I know he’s going to take a knee and he said he’s going to support us, regardless of what we say.”

Watson has spoken with O’Brien and executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby about social issues. The quarterback expects Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair to address the team when training camp opens.

“I know whenever we report to camp everyone in that locker room is expecting the owner on day one to come and talk to us and communicate with us, ask us questions, let them know that he’s supporting us, supporting his players,” Watson said. “And if not, there’s gonna be some issues, for sure.”

5. raining threes

So now Watson is telling Cal what he has to do?

6. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

He’s speaking for the players, that’s generally what leaders do. He has to lead the players, it’s not like anything he’s saying is controversial and it will show the players he has their back. If you see that as bad, I don’t know what to tell you.

7. raining threes

I see it as the employees demanding their boss do something.

It's nothing more than a pressure tactic that will probably work in this case.

8. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Guess i wont be watching this trash team anymore.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bye.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Here is the difference with Sports. Players are the employees AND the PRODUCT. You get rid of ALL players, you have no product or revenue. Players, as a group, have more power than normal employees.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unless you're a casual fan, you'll be watching

12. raining threes

Get new employees

13. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Or...cal could support the players? It’s not like deshaun is asking him to do something hard. He’s asking him to communicate with the team and hear them out. To understand where they are coming from...why is that bad?

14. showa13

showa13 Member

Because either

A. People disagree with it(political stance, BLM)
    B. People are uncomfortable with discussing the parameters of it(systematic racism)

15. raining threes

It's not bad

But it's not a good move for business.

The NFL (Owners/Players) are really going to pay a price for the positions they're currently taking. I cant wait to see what happens and listen to the players reactions after the cap shrinks.

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

People pissed on his dad and called him a racist for talking about “inmates running the prison” even though he, without anyone’s knowledge, paid for 9 funerals for the victims of the Episcopal Church and donated 1 million dollars for the foundation. People called his dad a racist because he voted for McCain and was a staunch Republican. So I’m thinking Cal McNair doesn’t really need to address the team unless he really wants to...besides I doubt he says anything that’s going to move the needle regarding race relations in 2020.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

LOL. This is what people said when Kaepernick did it too and Trump told everyone to stop watching the NFL, and of course, they wrong then too. Everyone knows the cap will shrink, of course - but it will because of a pandemic that takes fans out of the stands. Not because of BLM.

18. Major

Major Member

He absolutely doesn't need to. It's just up to him whether he wants to be a well-liked boss or one that his employees hate. It's no different than any other leadership position, whether in business, church, parenting, or whatever else. You either care about the people you lead or you don't - the world will go on either way.

whag00 likes this.
  19. raining threes

Did ratings fall ? Of course they did.

Fact is people are learning what lifes like without sports and many are liking the experience. Like I said, I'm not boycotting the NFL, but the NFL is no longer must see TV and I've asked for the refund option on my Texans season tickets. I've been a season ticketholder since 2003.

I would quit going to games altogether but 1. I dont want to lose my PSL money. 2. I've made life long friends with some of the people that sit around me.

I do believe they're going to blame the loss of money on the Civid-19 but when they continue to lose money in 2021 who are they going to blame? They will really have nobody to blame but themselves.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The ratings fall was a combination of things. Amazingly, once Trump found other things to hate on....the rating came back. Trump is a ****ing racist. He 2nd favorite thing to do is hate on the NFL because they would not let him in the "Club". He was blocked TWICE from buying teams. We know how PETTY Trump is.