1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll:Rockets VS Wolves:Tanking or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirror_image, Mar 29, 2004.

Tags:
?

Should Rockets tank the Wolves game tommorrow?

1. Yes. This could increase our chance to play Wolves in 1st round.

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No. We should try our best to win every game even we have to play Spurs or Kings.

77 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Thanks for fatman510 to tell me how to create a poll.

Personally, I think Rockets should try to win the Wolves game as we may catch Dallas for the 6th seed. What is your opinion?

2. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

We should focus on winning every game possible until that little x is beside our city in the standings. Besides, the way the rockets are we'd probably win on accident if we tried to tank:rolleyes: :p

3. kaivin20

kaivin20 Member

No! win or loss, we should do our best at this point.

Hi C'mon, if we tank this game, but fail to pull out of the series of playoffs vs wolves, that will be a biggest hurt from viewpoint of long run towards Champs. This tanked game will be labeled a tag of joke and shame.

4. summitlei

summitlei Member

Kaivin20,Your point is cool! Support!!
    We should try best to defeat them!

5. mirror_image

Of course most of us will be happy if we win the Wolves game, but if Rockets really lose, we may not be as disappointed as usual.

May I say this is the weirdest game of the year.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

"police, stop those men from tanking!"

"i'd like to ma'am, but they're too damn good. let the men tank, boys, let the men tank."

the last time we tanked, we got yao ming. so i say tank on good rockets. lets keep those wolves in the 2 spot.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why am I not surprised a thread like this should come along? :)

No, the Rockets shouldn't tank against the T'Wolves. If they really hope to have an extended run in the playoffs, they're gonna have to beat either the Kings or Spurs at some point. What difference does it make whether they play them in the first round or the Conference Finals(aside from the obvious fact that they'd be in the freaking Western Conference Finals!)?

8. mirror_image

I think most of us do not forsee Rockets will win Championship this year. As a Rockets Fan, I would rather see the Rockets get swept in the 2nd round rather than the 1st round.

9. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

With our schedule, I don't think that we have the luxury of losing games on purpose at this point. How would you feel if you lost a game on purpose and then missed the playoffs by 1 game?

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Here is what JVG thinks about tanking:

From chron.com:

But even if the Rockets' postseason place were more secure, Van Gundy said he would not coach much differently.

"It depends how much you value home-court advantage and how much you value staying sharp versus rest," Van Gundy said. "I always value home court. Can anybody beat anybody else in a deciding game? Absolutely. But I'd rather take my chances at home. Secondly, I think sharpness is more important than rest. Health is important. Rest is unimportant.

"The game matters anyway. Everybody's got a different way of looking at it. First of all, you have fans that are paying money. Two, you're always trying to get better. The only time I ever set anybody out was (Charles) Oakley, the last game of the year, when he was one flagrant foul from being suspended for the first playoff game."

Good for coach VG. Tanking is for losers. Don't be like the 82 Rockets.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NEVER TANK

Rocket River

12. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

We should tank.

Limit Yao's PT to 10 min, and SF's to less than 20. Give them some rest and let Minny gain some room against the Spurs. It's no shame to pick Minny over others for the first round opponents.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Tanking is for losers, never! No prisoners! No mercy! Beat all you can, then beat the rest.;)

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I think we need to continue to play well against the upper eschelon teams in the league so that we have some confidence going into the playoffs. Wins tonight and on Thursday will give us the knowledge that we can beat even the best teams.

Everybody loses. Only losers lose on purpose.

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

this is a ridiculous thread. Can't believe someone who actually bring up the idea of the rockets tanking a game :rolleyes:

16. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

It's plain unprofessional for a team to tank in order to gain some match up advantage. I don't think JVG will ever do it. On the otherhand, I won't mind Rockets losing to T-wolves tonight.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm firmly with the no tank crowd on this one. JVG is absolutely right the Rox are still too inconsistent and its more important for them to get some confidence playing hard every game to remain sharp than to try to think about playoff matchups. For that matter things are still far from locked in the playoff standings and even if we tanked things could change to where we are either out of the playoffs or still end up getting a matchup against the Kings if the T-Pups overtake them or Spurs or Grizzlies might overtake the T-Pups.

18. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

umm.... I say WIN WIN WIN

but San Antonio MAY not be the team that wins the Midwest and gets the 2nd ceed

anybody checked the Grizz lately ?!?!?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it is pretty paranoid to still be worried about missing the playoffs. Even with the hurt that is about to befall us with Minn, LA and Sac, we're still a lock.

In any case, I don't think Minnesota is going to need our help to win the game. I do think it'd be foolish to log very heavy minutes on our main guys in this game or the other probable-loss games coming up. We just need to be sure to win the remaining easy ones.