1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jordan/Bulls Documentary] 'The Last Dance'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Drexler also has been in the finals twice before going to Houston...

D-rock and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I bet Magic, James, and Kareem were doing that stuff... but Stern protected them.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Magic was confirmed to have numerous unprotected intercourse, drugs are not far off.

Rest is all history.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

If you have no regard for the health of your own penis, I doubt you'd give a **** about some extra brain cells lol

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of Jordan's biggest PR coups has been convincing everyone outside of Houston and Orlando that he wasn't himself during the 1995 playoffs and that's why the Bulls lost to the Magic. Yes, he was probably rusty against Orlando. But what did Jordan's "rust" look like in that series?
    • 31 PPG on 48% shooting
    • 31/7/4 series average
    • 15 steals (team high)
    • 11 blocks (team high)
    So, he was pretty damn good. Anything else is revisionist history that Jordan himself is happy to oblige since it plays into the narrative that he could've won 8 straight titles if he hadn't retired in 1993.

6. VanityHalfBlack

So could Bulls beat Rockets if Jordan played? I say no.

RocketRed84 and lnchan like this.
  7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Very good documentary, showing the good the bad and the ugly side of winning...Again, I respect what he did and why he did what he did, as he was just on another level and wanted to win....

The Rockets in their prime were bad ass, tough series, but I think Rockets would've won one, and lost one against MJ...We beat a very good NY team and swept a solid Orlando that trounced the Bulls...

I can't believe there are 2 episodes left...

arabrocket, amaru, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He really wasn't himself. Mentally, he wasn't there and it showed in several clutch situations during that series. It wasn't just the missed shots late, that can happen, but he made a lot of bad decisions. That never happened.

Still, even if his mind was as sharp as it needed to be and they get through the East, they wouldn't have beat the Rockets. A bigger factor in the Bulls losing against the Magic is that they just weren't that good. They were a basic .500 team before Jordan returned.

The Rockets had some serious talent. Robert Horry, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassell, and Mario Elie around Hakeem and Drexler is no joke. Hakeem was also simply better than that Jordan. He was clearly the best player in the league and beat all of the other contenders for that title in that year's playoffs.

mtbrays likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some fans might not believe it but the documentary came up with following reason: Jordan still had the body of a pitcher, and it would have taken a whole offseason to transform his muscles back to a basketballer, different muscle type needed for different sports.

Tim Grover at it.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's possible that Jordan's physique had an effect on the mental aspect of his game, but even if he was at his peak, that would not have helped the Bulls makeup the disparity in talent with the rest of the NBA's contenders. The Rockets were the best team that year and they beat all the other contenders put in their path.

Patience likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, they had some holes, no Horace, no rebounding 4 as Rodman arrived next season.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

But he wasn't a pitcher

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't watch that sport, maybe outfielder and hitter.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This is my take away after I look past the hype of The Last Dance:

1. Jordan/Bulls wouldn't have won in 1994. He was mentally and physically exhausted after their first 3 peat. His Dad then gets murdered. Even if he plays: I don't think they get past Indiana or New York in 1994 anyways.
    2. Jordan plays up the "out of shape" narrative for 1995, but I watched those games live. He got beat by a better Magic team. They hadn't replaced Horace Grant yet.
    3. Even though Jordan laughed at him (sort of being a dick), Payton did a number on him in the Finals.
    4. I like Scottie Pippen even less. He quit on his team and he said he'd do it again.

D-rock, MadMax and Jontro like this.
  15. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

But the TEAM was no good.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

People say this just because of one play here or there. No one for one second thought he wasn't himself when he putting up 31 ppg on 48% shooting. That's ridiculous.

Sometimes people lose...even MJ. He had before, too. He had no rebounding help at all...that's why he lost. You weren't beating that Magic team (or the Rockets that swept them) with that frontcourt.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Horace Grant properly gave Rodman his credit when discussing the difference between 95 and 96.

D-rock likes this.
  18. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

That’s incredibly insulting to all three of his peers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/10/michael-jordan-documentary-episode-seven-recap/

D-rock likes this.
  19. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

They didn't have Rodman yet

D-rock likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Bulls won 24 of their final 34 games, and finished the season with a 47–35 record, going 13–4 with Jordan back in the lineup.

In his return to the Garden, his 5th game back, Jordan scored 55 in a Chicago win.

Michael Jordan, with his hands on his hips, began to answer with a most self-assured and infectious grin. “It’s starting to come back to me a little bit,” Jordan said.

Bulls fan everywhere knew that grin, that look in Jordan’s eyes, what it all signified.

Zero arguments. Not with Jordan’s stat line that Tuesday night in New York City: 37 shots taken, 21 made.

Three 3-pointers. Ten free throws added on 11 attempts. That one spectacular number bursting from the points column of the box score: 55.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-chicago-bulls-michael-jordan-55-points-knicks-madison-square-garden-20200328-rnihlomx7rfdlbir6xlqdiqkxe-story.html?outputType=amp?espv=1

D-rock and mtbrays like this.