1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller overlooked or overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'm surprised to see so many say Miller is underrated. I always felt like he was incredibly overrated. I did a quick Youtube search for "Reggie Miller defensive highlights" and I found nothing but videos of MJ shutting him down. I don't ever recall Reggie having an impact on a game that wasn't spot up shooting. Ball handling, driving, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, passing... he didn't do anything except shoot it well. If he wasn't shooting, it was like he wasn't even on the floor.

2. smp

smp Member

That’s probably a fair way to look at it. Miller scored 25,000 points and lasted 18 years in the league. He is in the hall of fame with a retired Pacers jersey. So yeah, he got the credit he deserves.

Pippen was a defensive beast and great 2nd option on offense. I think he gets the credit he deserves.

I bet if you polled Western Conference fans and Eastern Conference fans Reggie and Pippen would rate much higher in the East vs West. So maybe both guys are a little over rated in the East and under rated in the West?

Eh. Who cares. I’m already nauseous from making a case for Pippen and Miller. I don’t like either one of them for different reasons. Lol

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

C) over saturated

Can’t mute or change the channel quick enough...and I grew up watching them living under the shadows of greatness.

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

people keep bringing Pippen up saying he should go down as one of the GOATs. there's no way i even put him in top-10, people saying crazy stuff like he belongs in that conversation.

WTF has this world come to?

until the damn Last Dance documentary, he was clearly overlooked. now people are saying crazy **** wtf.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can bet that the scoring average of both Miller and Pippen surge in today's game.

Reggie be shooting 8 to 9 treys a game.

6. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Klay >> Miller

adoo and daywalker02 like this.
  7. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Did you just call Kerr a 3nD player? How about 3 and no D

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Toni kukoc got better numbers than pippen in game 7 of ecf.

Pippen and kukoc together obviously spaced the floor. Jordan worked the mid range finding people.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

as overrated as miller was, you gotta feel for him. jordan blocked him to the finals and when he finally made it, he ran into shack/kirby lelz.

10. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Not Overrated or Overlooked!

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think I agree but I would say 1x greater, no doubt Miller would make more 3s today.

Pretty clutch from 3 too when talking about 2nd fiddles.

One of the ugliest mugs.

#71 daywalker02, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. adoo

adoo Member

while Reggie was one-dimensional, Klay is more well-rounded player, defense, rebound, 3 pt shooting, drive, create own shot, running the court.

but as far as catch-and-shoot go, in my books, Reggie Miller and Dirk are tied for the best ever.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Klay is more well rounded?
    Dude gets the same amount of 3 to 4 rpg assists 2, steals 1 or 2, 0.6 bpg almost every game....

He is elite at catching and shooting and good at perimeter Defense and scoring and can move well off the ball.

That's about it but he isn't an allround talent or great at stat stuffing.

Reggie was an equally bad rebounder, had 1 assist per game more.

Klay can fill it up in any quarter, like 30 in one quarter, but the 4th isn't his best quarter.

#73 daywalker02, May 9, 2020
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Reggie played with the short 3 point line, and still couldn't catch fire, so he's a bit overrated. Talented. But overrated. He's an unedited analyst though and that's good. Pippen was overrated as well. He could never carry a team, and both of them he played on had mega talent. It was an era when youhad to show you could carry a team on your back, both had chances, neither delivered.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Pippen was third leading scorer on Portland in 2000 when he lead the team in three's made.

Obviously, Portland lost to Lakers in wcf yet pippen led that team in either 3 point percentage or three's made.

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Look at pippen production for Portland vs Laker in 2000 wcf...

People forget pippen was a game away from a finals in 2000 with Portland, Portland came back down 3 games to 1 too.

Of course, Kobe made that classic play with the alley oop to Shaq off of a steal to seal the win in a classic, all time great series.

Game 1....pippen led blazers 19 points/11 rebounds tied for most three's, 3 made.

Game 2...pippen had 21 and 11
    Game 3....pippen had 12 and 9
    Game 4...pippen had 11 and 10
    Game 5...pippen led Portland in scoring with 22 and 6.
    Game 6...pippen led team in blocks and 9 points and 6 rebounds.

Game 7...pippen had second most made three's and scored 12 and 10.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200006040LAL.html

#76 smoothie_king, May 9, 2020
  17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

People often say Pippen would have been rated higher if he didn't play with Jordan. I think its the opposite. Playing with Jordan took a lot of pressure off of him and he was the ultimate second option. Also an excellent defender...but no way he is nearly has great as he turned out to be if he didn't ride Jordan's coat tails his whole career.

Also, this documentary has made me like him even less. He quit on his team and he said that he'd do it again.

Patience and Jontro like this.
  18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It's either you like Scottie or you don't.

It's either you like Mike or you don't.

I personally think the play of pippen in the 99-00 season brought Michael Jordan out of his second retirement to play for the wizards.
    Pippen represented after the 98-99 nba strike. Pippen played well in the 99-00 season going to wcf with a game 7 which was first full nba season after the 98-99 strike.

19. Damion Laverne

Didn't Reggie have a number of bad elimination games in the playoffs?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both are second options on a contender no matter how talented they may seem.

Scottie being 25th Alltime and Reggie 70th.

I think most would agree.