1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Switching back from Apple to Windows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 5, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I use a Dell for work, but at home we are all Apple.

We will not replace iphones or ipads with the android versions.

But we have a 10 year old iMac that needs replacement. I've never loved it, frankly. I'm just more of a windows guy in terms of how i process stuff.

So how difficult would it be to transition back? Easy to continue using iphones, ipads? Easy to get photo library switched over, all media switched over, all backups switched over, etc.?

If the answer to the above is all doable, what does one suggest in terms of product? Not break the bank, but something that could theoretically last 10 years, and ideally work both as a desktop and portable/laptop solution?

Thank you and namaste!

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't understand the title, so I can't call you names yet and I refuse to read what you wrote to gain a further understanding -- I make decisions about people based upon their thread titles alone. Please clarify.

Deckard, Juxtaposed Jolt and Xerobull like this.
  3. JayZ750

what? what's so difficult?!?! i changed it because me no type well most times. thank you for heads up.

So basically how hard will it be to transition form Apple to Windows based, after 10 years with an iMac, and NOT moving off of iphone/ipads?

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If you're a "windows guy," then didn't you just answer your own question?

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Unfortunately, I can't help you since my last foray into Apple laptops was buying a Macbook over 10 years ago, I think, and it mostly collected dust because I couldn't get used to the desktop. I may revisit one again in the future. For the way I use a phone, an iPhone and an Android phone are all interchangeable, and I try not to replace my phone too quickly nowadays now that they cost as much as a down payment on a house (lol) and offer very little advancement over the previous generation. Good luck!

#5 Dr of Dunk, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Jontro likes this.
  6. JayZ750

i'll be barely using this computer. Mostly for troubleshooting. It’s my wife’s and if it lasts long enough my kids as they get older.

she’s ambivalent either way.

#6 JayZ750, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    RKREBORN likes this.
  7. JayZ750

anyone else with thoughts?

8. Buck Turgidson

I think you're making the right decision but I am unable to give you any technical advice.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you're asking if the iPhones and iPads will work as seamlessly with a windows product.... I'm not sure its even necessary to delve into it.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I know some people that get the newest phone every year, yet they dont own a laptop at home. It boggles my mind. Why not spend half that on a phone, a little lower in specs, but would perform anything they actually did on it, with ease, and then use the other half on a laptop to actually get work done if needed. I miss the days of $200 flagship phones.

As to the original topic: WIndows is like riding a bike. You can go without riding one for 10 years and come back and ride it like yesterday.
    Macs have more of a learning curve, so it shouldnt be a problem going back to windows. As for longevity, does anything last 10 years with technological advances nowadays. Just get a decent spec'd laptop and that should last you a good 5 years. Laptops are "desktops" now.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

is windows still superior to apple in pc gaming?

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES. 100%.

Jontro likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think most companies that develop games, develop them with Windows customers at the forefront of their business model. AFAIK, Apple beats Windows in editing stuff though.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Do you mean transition back, like going from iOS to Windows? If so, it shouldn't be that hard because you're used to using Windows at work. Training your family to do the same might take some time, but it shouldn't be hard either...especially since, you know. Quarantine.

No idea how to transfer stuff from Apple to a new Windows computer, but I think you can download iCloud on a Windows PC and link your account...and boom, you have access to all your media? Not completely sure, though.

Honestly, I don't think there's a single Windows product that doesn't break the bank but also works as a desktop/laptop combo. The closest thing, I suppose, would be a Surface Book 2 or Surface Book 3...both coming in at >$1000. And I have no idea if it'll last even close to 10 years.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Watch Youtube vids.

Take notes.

Ask for certificate of completion.

16. Bob Barker 007

PCs are easier to use than Macs in my opinion. You aren't going to have an issue connecting your Apple devices, and it should become easier when Apple finally moves on from wretched iTunes. Personally, I think HP runs Windows 10 better than Dell, so I would recommend the Spectre x360. If you prefer Dell, get the XPS. You will need an adapter hub to make up for the lack of unique ports on new laptops.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have a Windows PC and my significant other has a Windows laptop she uses for consulting. Like me, she's retired, but does consulting from time to time. We both have iPhone's and I have an iPad. I'm on my PC a hell of a lot. It's where I play games and do most of my writing. I also use the iPad frequently while in bed or chilling in the living room watching TV or listening to the sound system, mainly reading the news from different sources, or checking out this place. Things I do on my PC, but who wants to sit in front of a monitor all the time?

In other words, I can do more than one thing at the same time. My S.O. can't and I drive her crazy. It's my mission in life. Switching from Windows to OS and back several times a day is pretty effortless, but I'm not doing what I consider to be serious stuff. I'm retired! You get used to it. This probably didn't help you. ;-)

18. JayZ750

Thanks all.

I want to do a laptop, but then an external monitor keyboard setup for the wife and family.

HP, dell, surface... any and all?

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's the reason for this?

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

What programs will the computer be running most of the time?

Anything special or mostly a web browser and some office productivity programs?