1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you clean your cast iron skillet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 5, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

First time having one. Everywhere I look it says to use hot water and soap if necessary. But i i thought it was common knowledge not to dump oil in the sink (which you would be doing if youre using hot water) because it will damage the drainage. So which is it?

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I soak it in soapy water in the sink for a few hours. Then I put it in the dishwasher.

Ubiquitin and R0ckets03 like this.
  3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

On a slightly similar subject, my carbon steel pans hadn't been used in years. Wanted to take it down to bare metal so I can start from scratch as they were never seasoned correctly. Had tried everything to clean it, but finally read just to put in oven and set the oven to clean on high.

Damn...it came out perfectly nekkid!!!

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

don’t forget to spray it with saltwater before storing.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've been spritzing it with WD40 to lube it up.

Blatz likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Is this reality? Gosh damn the quarantine is making us crazy...

Anyways, soak it in salt water then let it dry. Put a nice coat of polyurethane on it. Should be “nonstick” from there. Just ignore the chemical smell once you heat it up.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If you live in an apartment, dump the oil in the sink with hot water running and the garbage disposal on. If it's your own house, dispose of the oil differently, but makes sure the majority of the oil is out first... Then get the water running very hot and get a "brillow pad." Don't use a sponge or conventional soap and water.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Depending on the type of grease - let it solidify and then scrape it into the trash, or soak it up with a paper towel and throw it in the trash. Then clean the skillet with hot water and a little soap. Rinse. Turn your burner on medium and put the skillet on the burner to heat up and dry so it doesn't rust.

9. Buck Turgidson

Also, if it's a bunch of grease (like if you've deep fried something), let it cool and pour it into a jar or milk jug-type thing and throw it in the trash.

I don't cook a lot of bacon, but when I do the grease gets strained into a jar in the fridge to use for other dishes, because it's awesome.

Always, always, always rub some oil on the inside of the pan after you've cleaned it.

DFWRocket likes this.
  10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. SuraGotMadHops

After cooling I pour the excess grease and oil into a bottle or can and throw it away. I then scrub the pan in the sink with hot water (no soap) and a steel wool pad gently, just enough to get the food residue off without scrubbing off the layer of seasoning I just added with my prior cook. After wiping dry with paper towels I put it back on the stove on high heat until it gets smoking hot - that makes sure its dry so it won't rust, and also burns off any particles. Then I let it cool and put it away.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I actually just use a ball of foil to get the gunk off (after pouring out any grease into a jar or scraping into trash can). Sometimes for stunk on stuff, I'll put some salt on it, helps remove it.

Then rinse, dry, and heat on stove for a bit to get rest of water. Then olive oil to re-season.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The key is to pour the grease down the disposal with cold water before you go to sleep.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's good to add 5 lbs of dry rice too. Source: my tenants.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I put one of those foam dinosaur pills in mine and watch it grow into an oilosaurus.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I bought a cast iron skillet from lodge. Never cooked in it. I rubbed oil on it, and threw it in the oven. Came out sticky. I probably didn’t use a high enough temperature, and probably put too much oil on it. I need to get around to unstickying it.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What is the benefit of a cast iron skillet over a regular skillet...other than it makes for a good weapon if you get in a life-or-death fight and have one handy? ;)

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Get really good searing on it.

Also, can start on stove and finish in oven. Good for camping, they last forever, etc.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cast iRON SUCKS. I KNOW PEOPLE LOVEIT BUT I REALLY CANNOT GET ITNO IT. I WASHWITHALITTLEWATERTHENSCRAPEWITHAWOODENSPOONTOGETTHEDRIEDPARTSOFF. THENIUSESALTSLURRYTOSCRUB. THEN I HEAT ON THE stove for a little and add some oil. Let it heat up. Then wipe with a towel and put away for the next time my dumb ASSDECIDESTOUSEITAGAIN.