1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 3/26/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Indeed Jeff...

Even if we had played with greater tenacity and more poise, Memphis still hit almost every single shot they took... good shots, and many many bad shots that you'd want a team to take.

If they only make a third of those, its a closer game... but we'd still lose by 10-12 points.

We lost to a VERY good home team... I hope they play the Spurs in the first round.

2. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to! :p

3. mychatoe

mychatoe Contributing Member

anybody care to give an analysis of this game?

I'm really confused after watching this game from start to finish-
    what did we do wrong?

Here are the things that I think contributed to the loss:

1. Yao missed some shots he usually makes

2. Memphis' defense play (i.e. fronting, hack a Yao) took Yao out of his game a little, and certainly refs made things wrose (whatelse will they do)

3. Jump shots did not fall...we made 1 out of 9 attempts...

4. first quarter was a sucker...we fell behind by 20 points by the
    end of first quarter...we actually did not play that bad in the
    2nd and 3rd quarters...our points in these two quarters were only a few points short of memphis'...

5. Memphis shot the light out...

6. Mark Jackson sucked by focusing on shooting the ball instead of passing in the 2nd quarter (or 3rd? can't remember now)...

now the question...whatelse did we do wrong???

I thought Steve did a good job...Cat did not shoot well, but that happens quite often even in games we won. I meant, many of the things I just listed above are not rare - they happened often and we still won games when they happen...

But why not this game?

Is that because memphis is simply a better team that Rockets?

I didn't think so before this game, but I'm not so sure now...

another thing is that Memphis got lots of open shots while every field goal Houston made seemed to be so hard-earned.

Why is that? ...besides they could sink in their defense to protect the board because houston did not shoot well from outside.

are we being out-coached?

sigh... I just don't understand...

4. lalala902102001

This one was pathetic...

It's games like this that make me realize that we have no chance in the playoffs.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then what do the big wins make you realize?

We've had far more big wins or close road games against the elite teams, than complete collapses like we did tonight... don't be reactionary.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Can't say too much, except we lost to a valiant team. They are a damn good time this season. 21-5 since the alstar break! Make that 22-5.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Damn I'm glad I didn't get to go to the game. We got embarassed. What the hell happened?

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just one of those nights where the other team is on and everything they threw up went in. We had one of those nights against Minny when we blew them out and other nights similar to Memphis' performance. And aside from the Kings game early in the season, this is the only other time where I felt we were truly blown out by a team that was just hot from start to finish. It's a loss but the plus side of it is this loss only counts as one in the loss column.

9. fya

fya Member

We need Cato right now.

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I'm very glad that i missed the game and saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" instead. I am also glad that we won't have to play memphis in the playoffs in the first round.

11. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

jvg got a T???

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

One thing which I noticed is that we have small players in comparison to them at every position except Center.
    Secondly they have TEN players who are experienced and practiced enough to be starters, while we only have SIX and one [Cato] was on the injured list.
    Thirdly they regularly rotate their players so nobody gets too tired, on the otherhand we play our best players a long time on the court
    Fourthly Yao Ming was being used as a practice partner for the WWF. Refs dont call the fouls. When they do the Rockets will be a different Team.
    Mark Jackson should be benched and Wilkes given his chance to prove himself.

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

close this thread

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Memphis plays Team Basketball and they have Chemistry. If we are ever going to achieve Chemistry and Team Basketball there needs to be dramatic changes in our Roster. We cant be developing and playing two different directions without calamity.

15. laen21

laen21 Member

Memphis X
    I also love the Grizzlies. They are the greatest team I've ever seen! And I love the fact that they have such a "storied" history. Oh yeah, and all those championship banners hanging in the rafters look really good too! I can totally see them winning the championship for years to come.

Hopefully you picked up on my sarcasm!

But I really don't expect some red-neck from middle America to detect it.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

seem like the 2nd quarter before we started getting rebounds
    it is so . .. one and done

JVG has got to let our people hit the offensive board

I know he wants them back on D .. . but we need more
    second chance points

Rocket River

17. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

You have to give Jerry West and and the old coach some credit, they are bringing that team along nicely. They are playing like it counts... and it does.

Would like us to have won though.

18. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

Yep! This is one part of JVG's strategy that I am not too fond of. Sure, this is the way to play if we are winning or playing an even game (and even then, I would switch it up), but when down big, it is necessary for at least the bigs to crash the boards. And on the long balls, the shooter should follow his shot more. Basic f*ing basketball.

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Grr, That link has been working all season and now it's dying or dead too. :( I wonder if all my working links no longer work.

Did anyone else try the audio link?? Did it work??

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not so, I was never onboard with what Lucas, Lloyd & Wiggins did. My point was that those were dark times for the Rockets and the Rockets fans. Lucas was the equivalent of Steve Francis back then in terms of his importance to the Rockets. The Lucas episode nearly destroyed this team and it took them years to recover. They went from a promising team to one of the NBA's worse teams overnight. To this day I have never forgiven John Lucas for what he did.

Same thing with Wiggins and Lloyd whose fall took out the Rockets and derailed their progress for years. To me, Oakley is no different from Kermit Washington and that's why I take this stand.