1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Or, it’s cult code for BUY

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, some are doing that, so maybe it is. :D

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I randomly was looking at Puts last night and of course didn't buy any... If only Elon was a close friend and gave me a heads up. Just insane the damage he can do, I know he's done this before but this is absurd.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean he didn’t say not to buy , his words verbatim are it’s a little high , right ?

Maybe if you were trying to maximize value TODAY you wouldn’t buy . But , if you were looking more long term then buying when a stock is a little high .... then it’s not the end of the world . You might make less, but you’d still make returns .

Elon is prolly right

I feel like most normal people think the stock market as a whole is inflated right now .

if our recovery is slower than expected the market might tank again,idk .

I think people are looking to be pissed at Elon

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

like being pissed he is manipulating the market?

dmoneybangbang and tierre_brown like this.
  6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Elon is a rare bird. Regardless of what you think of him, he will be the richest dude on earth at some point.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I think there will have to be a pullback, especially on Tesla is why I was thinking Puts for short-term play but I seriously never expected this. I mean I could have bought silly OTM puts late yesterday that expire today and have been coming out nice, but... That's really bad investing plan on 1 day options unless you're super confident/crazy/know something, but then Elon does this... Haha.

He certainly makes Tesla entertaining, and I'm sure pisses off a lot of heavy investors, he's basically the company wildcard. His tweet alone basically wrecked people that were exercising options late... Although if I was in that spot I'd have sold the contract way back or exercised the options way ahead of any mess like this. I'm sure some didn't though unfortunately

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyway, Elon will probably get a small fine by the SEC and then he'll make a meme about it, and get fined again. The 20+ million will be the equivalent of me finding like a few coins in the couch. He's definitely entertaining but man I'd certainly be frustrated if I just lost insane money off his tweet. But investing in Tesla you have to know by now what you're getting, a guy that will basically tweet/do whatever he wants. Say "sorry" and then do it again.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

What do you all think of CMCSA? Record net adds in high speed internet. Seemed like the only concerning part of the business was theme parks but overall I'm thinking buy?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah. I watched a vid a bit ago and the guy broke it down how he lost $60k + in 10 minutes because of those tweets.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If only the markets worked like you outline above. :D There's a reason most company heads don't comment on their stock price other than say something generic. I'm not sure Musk did anything illegal, but the majority of people are long and in volatile times I'm sure they even put some stops in. Who knows how many were triggered. The problem is that he just sends out these random tweets. A few years ago he sent out another tweet like this saying that the stock was overvalued. Then he said he thought Tesla would be worth more than Apple. Now he's back on the overvalued bandwagon and selling everything he owns.

Elon gives reasons for people to be pissed at him and I can see why they'd be pissed; whether or not he's right or ok saying what he says is a different question. :D

peleincubus and CCity Zero like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Elon you MFer... lol

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

if i want entertainment, i can always Neflix or xbox

small retail investors as well; they can file class action suit against NFLX and Musk jointly and severally.

the SEC had fined NFLX and musk before for like-kind indiscretions; it will likely do so again, and perhaps remove musk as an officer of the corp

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true, I guess more entertaining if I'm not in a play... But I also don't like that people who were in Tesla and taking bigger risks than they should on their portfolio might have lost a ton on that tweet. Sure they were playing dangerously and it's the stock market (ie sometimes costs for education through losses), but he really shouldn't be doing that, I'm sure there's a lot of new investors that were not aware of the things he does. I mean it's not the same as learning from news/charts but just flat out being trashed by a tweet

Find anything exciting to hold over weekend? I'm looking at KMPH / TNXP for small caps. Not in any real options today other than small calls on X this morning for quick in/out. I'm going to be watching volume on it for possible plays though, I've been noticing some interesting calls bought after the bad report.

Going to look again on Monday at it.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol at everyone b****ing about Elon and TSLA stock...like it's the first time that he's said something crazy.

You are dating a crazy chick for the hot sex. You want stable growth...go elsewhere. You are going to see wild swings with TSLA. there's just too much hype, fanbois, and manipulation with that stock.

haven't bought a single share, almost did in sept (went with MSFT). could have made me a sh** ton when it peaked it to 900. price at the time when i was looking was 230 in september 2019.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

welllllllllllllllllll...................sit on them for years..he did not...

Warren Buffett says Berkshire sold all its airline stocks because of the coronavirus
    • The prior stake, worth north of $4 billion dollars, included positions in United, American, Southwest and Delta Airlines.
    • “The world has changed for the airlines. And I don’t know how it’s changed and I hope it corrects itself in a reasonably prompt way,” he said.
    • Buffett said he admires the airlines, but that sometimes there are events like the coronavirus “on the lower levels of probabilities” that necessitate a quick change.
    • He added: “When we sell something, very often it’s going to be our entire stake: We don’t trim positions.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/war...n-in-airlines-because-of-the-coronavirus.html

CCity Zero and The Real Shady like this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyone get in on DISCB on Friday? I was just reviewing some things absolutely wild run..

Also, does anyone use any services that would alert you to halts like this, obviously I can look and try to catch things/chart/volume/research but this is kind of interesting - https://tradethehalt.com/

It looks like this would have spotted this one @$45/50 during halt and before the climb to $90+.

I'm aware of extra services but just wondering if anyones tried extra advantages. I mean on this you'd literally have a few mins to get orders in and hopefully it's a stock you know something about etc. I'm also not subscribed to this but thought it'd be interesting, I just don't know if I'd like to jump in on a halt unless I'm basically algo trading, because it can go bad fast, especially on small caps.

#9797 CCity Zero, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some other quotes :

In 2016, Berkshire revealed a surprise bet on the sector that Buffett had before shunned. But years of consolidation through post-bankruptcy mega-mergers and a decline in fuel prices have helped airlines rake in record profits.

Airlines posted their 10th straight year of profits in 2019 and were preparing for even more growth in travel demand early this year, just when coronavirus started to spread. The four airlines Berkshire sold out of are scrambling to save cash, slashing routes, parking hundreds of planes and urging employees to take unpaid and partial leave.

The so-called “Oracle of Omaha” had alluded to the airline sale earlier in Saturday’s meeting, when he said he’d made an “understandable mistake” when valuing the airline stocks as a near-global halt in travel due to the coronavirus sent their prices sharply lower.
    “When we bought [airlines], we were getting an attractive amount for our money when investing across the airlines,” he said. “It turned out I was wrong about that business because of something that was not in any way the fault of four excellent CEOs. Believe me. No joy of being a CEO of an airline.”

“I don’t know that three, four years from now people will fly as many passenger miles as they did last year,” he said. “You’ve got too many planes.”

Also :

He explained: “When we sell something, very often it’s going to be our entire stake: We don’t trim positions. That’s just not the way we approach it any more than if we buy 100% of a business. We’re going to sell it down to 90% or 80%.”

“If we like a business, we’re going to buy as much of it as we can and keep it as long as we can,” he added. “And when we change our mind we don’t take half measures.”

The other interesting thing he brought up during the shareholders meeting is that he's saying he really hasn't bought anything -- just nibbled on stocks here and there. Now that's scary. They also lost around $50 billion I was hoping he wouldn't say that. lol. I think I read they're sitting on about $130+ billion and he mentioned that if the deal was right, he'd do one whether it's $30, $40, or $50 billion.... he just hadn't seen the deal yet.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya...all of it points to economy not recovering for quite a while. He figured he cut his losses (50 FREAKING BILLION!) and get out. That says a lot.

Or he knows bankruptcy is coming to DAL/AAL/UAL..

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think that may be 50 B from their other investments as well??

Dr of Dunk likes this.