1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NIH Panel recommends against Trump virus drug, study shows Trump virus drug has no benefit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 21, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So not peer reviewed?

I'm just asking because you dismissed a study because it was not peer reviewed. All I'm asking is the same level of scrutiny on your own claims.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

thanks! The far-UVc stuff was actually as interesting as the drug part. Get er done!

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best post in this thread

dobro1229, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

What are you trying to prove really? This is and has always been ur problem on the D&D. My job as is any other professional is to evaluate the study, its methodology and to evaluate if the study has validity or not. The study didnt even mention what killed the patient... The fact that the study hasnt been peer reviewed is what we do in our line of work. Secondly, and more significant is the fact that the study isnt applicable to the general population as a whole, hence a major selection bias. But since you're a click bait headline reader...you only picked up on things you think matter. This study will disappear from news as it already has from the media.

Lastly, for your information: One of the authors of the study has a patent application in Jan 2020. An another author took a research grant from Gilead, the makers of Remdisivir.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea, hearing. A lot of good things about it

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You’re acting like the evidence for the use of HC is strong in of itself, you can’t sit there as a physician and tout something that has not shown any real benefit in a randomized control trial. I’m not saying to stop using it, but to tout it’s benefits like this is Ridiculous. How many of these pts have you treated?

Nook likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Honestly I'm getting some @Bobbythegreat vibes from him.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

What??? My post speaks for itself. I also stated that the evidence that I have is limited to the patients with mild symptoms that are positive, some of which I have directly treated. Everyday I am thankful that the outbreaks we have had in our community isnt as severe as it has been on the east coast. But before jumping on incredibly expensive treatment alternatives for mild disease, I hope I am doing due diligence for my patients to see if there are cheaper options that can provide some relief, with a medication that is remarkably and historically safe.

B-Bob and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Yep, boss mentioned it to me Monday and I looked into it. Fascinating stuff that could have a huge effect on how we sanitize buildings, cars, etc. Would be huge just to be able to walk into a doorway of far-UVC and basically be able to be safe from viral spreading.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As a medical proffesional are you an expert in statistical analysis and sampling bias because I fear you are confusing your expertise into something not relevant.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks. This is a great follow for actual... wait for it.... science involved in the medical world around Covid. He goes deep sometimes on things that go above my head, but it's still important to at least try and understand the basics of the science. It's actually quite comforting when you hear about the studies that are happening so everyone doesn't just believe it's Trump miracle drug or mass death. The UV stuff is really interesting by itself.

B-Bob, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

14. NewRoxFan

Bright's bio (below). Care to post yours so we can compare your level of expertise?

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced the selection of Dr. Rick Bright as the new Deputy Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, and Director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA).

Bright has been with BARDA since 2010. Most recently, he served as Director of the BARDA’s Influenza and Emerging Infectious Diseases Division and he previously led the BARDA Influenza Division’s International Program.

Bright began his career in vaccine and therapeutics development at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where he focused on avian and human influenza viruses, antiviral drugs and the development novel assays for high throughput surveillance for resistance to antiviral drugs.

Bright has also worked in the biotechnology industry where he served as the Director of Immunology at Altea Therapeutics and Vice President of Research and Development and Global Influenza Programs at Novavax, Inc. Rounding out his experience in the public and private sectors, in 2008, Dr. Bright joined PATH as the Scientific Director of the Influenza Vaccine Project in the Vaccine Development Global Program and the Director of the Influenza Vaccine Capacity Building Project in Vietnam.

“BARDA succeeds through strong relationships with federal, private sector and non-governmental entities, and in vetting the candidates for the BARDA Director position we engaged subject matter experts and leaders from across ASPR and the PHEMCE,” noted Assistant Secretary Nicole Lurie. “In a strong field, Rick Bright stood out, with a clear vision for leading BARDA and collaborating with PHEMCE partners in a rapidly changing mission space.

Bright will continue and expand upon the work of his predecessor, Acting BARDA Director Dr. Richard Hatchett. In the past year under Hatchett, BARDA has responded to the emergence of Zika by jump-starting the development of vaccines, diagnostics and blood screening products, while continuing with CBRN and pandemic influenza program activities, and launching a new program in the Combating Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Biopharmaceutical Accelerator (CARB-X).

Bright received his PhD in Immunology and Molecular Pathogenesis from Emory University (Atlanta, GA) and his BS in Biology (Medical Technology) and Physical Sciences from Auburn University (Montgomery, AL).

Dr. Bright assumes his new position as the Director of BARDA on November 13, 201

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to say that this illustrated the need to get away from the hype and focus in on the science involved. It gives me some hope.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

Should really move over to the "fired/resigned" thread, but...

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I have nothing more for you, as part of a debate and discussion forum is to debate and discuss an opposing view; which indirectly should increase and make you more well informed. It is more than clear that your viewpoints are always confrontational because if "Trump" touted it...and because orange man bad, I am only here to prove him wrong...

This goes to everyone else on this forum. Its ok to have a different point of view, and you will not convince everyone else to accept what you may have to say. But ultimately, my hope as poster is to give a difference in opinion.

19. NewRoxFan

Dr. Bright got the "don't know him" treatment...

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Scientists, doctors, nurses and other health professionals... just making trump look bad politically.

RayRay10 likes this.