1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Throwback] The Heart of A Champion: Yao Ming vs Lakers WCSF 2009

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PrawnJ, Apr 9, 2020.

1. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

I was born in 1993, but I grew up watching the Houston Rockets starting around 2007 when we had the crazy 22 win streak.

Our 2008 team was so awesome, full of players with heart. It wasn't just the top tier guys like Yao Ming, Artest, Battier, it was the rest of the team - Chuck Hayes, Kyle Lowry, Aaron Brooks, Scola, Von Wafer, Carl Landry - that made this team such a pleasure to watch.

Until today, i still get the chills listening to Mike Breen saying "YAOOOOO MING puts it in from outside" after Yao refused to give in to his knee injury. You never truly appreciate things until they are gone, and the 08 rockets will always be one of the most underappreciated rocket teams IMO.

roro12, bigbodymoe, noppeper and 3 others like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That was actually Kevin Harlan, but yeah.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

thought it was doris burke. she loves us.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Killer Gm One.

Bynum had an even shorter peak.

Kirby ended Yao's career.

5. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

One of my favorite Rocket's teams ever. I sincerely believe they would've won that series if Yao doesn't get injured.

noppeper likes this.
  6. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

oooo thanks for pointing that out! great call though.

7. noppeper

noppeper Member

This is tough to watch. The game was really starting to slow down for Yao and the team was beginning to build a championship mettle around him. I believe that if not that season, subsequent seasons under Adelman were going to be even more special.

Probably my favorite Rockets team after the championship years and the twin towers era.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  8. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

2:43 that fadeaway shot is beautiful sight to see.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I cried the next day when they said he was done for the playoffs. Then we whipped that ass here at home with Artest and AB.

Yao was the only Rocket since Hakeem that had a heart of a champion. Well maybe CP3

daywalker02 and DeBeards like this.