1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gray speaks on Francis curse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Mar 24, 2004.

1. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

So what, then, about the profanity that is caught on the rim mike at the basket. Players cuss ALL THE TIME and it can be heard on the networks constantly. I agree that using profanity when being interviewed is a little worse, but, it's not even a formal interview. The players are completely caught off guard.

i can't belive the author is surprised that wilbon backs steve on the issue. just because he works for the media doesn't mean he can't voice his own opinion on the issue.

i hate gray. he asks the same questions all the time and it's getting old and tired.

2. haven

haven Member

I think what Francis said was inappropriate. But I am curious as to:

A. What % of adults don't routinely use such language themselves

and

B. How many children are actually going to suffer any ill-effect because of it.

His language just wasn't that bad. And I've never been able to understand the difference betwee saying "that's manure" and "that's bull****." It's the meaning that counts...

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Does anyone else find it funny that on sitcoms when someone says the word arsehole, they blep the hole part and not the arse?

4. AGBee

AGBee Member

I think Francis was cursed by his moustache. It's gotta go Steve!

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't believe in foul language. By that, I don't mean that I don't say words that others consider foul, I just don't think there should be any word that can't be said (outside of logical safety concerns, shouting fire in the proverbial crowded theater). Remember when you were a little kid and you had to learn that little rhyme "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me."? Well it is true, words can never injure you. At worst they will make you feel bad, but that is less a result of any particular word and more a result of its usage as directed toward you. The point of all this being, people should be able to say/broadcast whatever words they want, and the impact on society will be negligible if they do.

On a related note, nobody has ever been hurt by seeing naked people (outside of the odd person with a preexisting heart condition, like Blue in Old School, or in a Kramer situation when Sue Ellen Mishke was walking around in just a bra.) It is stupid to not allow language and nudity on television, and it just makes us all grow up with problems. I think kids would be much more well adjusted if there was sex/nudity, all kinds of language, and otherwise realistic situations on television, as opposed to the sanitized version we have now.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

thats one hell of a name.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i could care less about the profanity. the problem is that it was a manifestation of his profound insecurity at not getting enough respect from the refs. he continues looking for contact rather than looking to make baskets, waiting for the zebras to validate his greatness and award him with a trip to the line. that, my friends, is bull****.

8. JDuBb

JDuBb Member

Lets be real, and I'm probably speaking of 90% of the media for this, Stevie Francis should have cussed out Jim Gray instead of the refs because that fool is the most annoying reporter ever. I swear if that was Barkley and he ran up to him, he would have got clocked like he deserves.

9. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Actually no one likes Jim Gray. Boxer James Toney went a step further than that when Jim Gray tried to interview him in a post fight interview. He knocked Gray's mic out of his hand and told him to get away because he doesn't like him.

10. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

ICAM. I wish Steve would quit all the double-clutching he does in mid air trying to draw a foul. All it does is cause him to miss the layup with still no foul called. Just goes to the hoop strong and the fouls will take care of themselves.

11. plee

plee Member

I agree... They are looking for stuff like this it gets good "ratings", why else would they do interviews during a break in the game. I guess next we'll have interviews with pitchers after they were just pulled from the game, receivers catching a touchdown pass, etc...

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I just got back into town and the attention this thing got nationally was ridiculous. Welcome to the post Janet boob flashing incident world.

13. tothomas

tothomas Member

Haven,

I'm an adult, I rarely cuss and I know a large number of adults that are the same way.

Profanity is to easy and we over use it. You don't really have to think about what you want say, just let your emotion hook on to an expletive and take a ride. This is why I don't like it when kids cuss. I'd rather them learn to use their brains to think of a better way to say what they want to say then just drop an F bomb or something.

I do think every word has its time and place, but we just give "curse" words to many times in to many places.

Now about the Francis situation. Given that the thinking part of the human brain does not function well when someone is in a highly emotional state, and given that Francis was obviously in such a state, what did Gray expect to hear? A rational discussion of the first half? And despite the fact I don't like profanity, BS is a pretty mild one to use given the situation.

It's always amazed me that the media will interview atheletes at the times they least want to be interviewed and then act amazed when the athlete says something rude.

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

bullsh*t is nothing! I here that word all the time on pbs....

not really but...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread should be moved to the D&D.