1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Would Rather My Ancestors Not Have Been Slaves Than Being Born An American

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 15, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A a black man I think we as black people need to get over the anger over slavery. It's over, can't change the past, they are all dead. However l used to struggle with loving being born an American vs my ancestors being slaves.

I was at a family reunion 25 years ago in small Jefferson,TX. At the family church the preacher said, paraphrasing, he was happy his ancestors were slaves cause he now benefits being American. When he said it was upset but than had to be honest with myself and question would I rather never have been an American .

Now that I'm older I understand West Africa has some rough areas but I would rather never have been born here. I can bypass American luxury to erase slavery from American history

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's an interesting ethical thought that I have also had before. Is the pain of 10 or so generations worth the benefit of future generations being born into a 1st world country, as opposed to a 3rd world country?

It's a tough question, it depends on how long it will take for Africa, specifically West Africa to develop, overall it would be a very individual thing, some will have arguably benefited greatly in the long run, for others the sacrifice will go in vain. LBJ's/JayZ's ancestors might happily make that trade-off with that foresight, others with much worse outcomes might not. Some may have thrived in Africa, others may have died in civil wars, or from famine/disease.

While an interesting thought exercise, like you said it's done, and to me it reflects on how far this country needs to come for our black people. If we want to enslave people for hundreds of years, massively benefit off their labor, the least we can do is make sure their offspring are 1st class citizens. The wealth gap, the life expectancy gap, the maternal and infant mortality gap are all truly disgusting.

There are 2 groups of people who didn't ask to be a part of this country, blacks, and natives, and both have been treated like dog ****. It's our countries responsibility to do everything we can to end the inequality.

A funny thought is on the other side of the spectrum, racist people, the people who want to keep America white, the ones who are offended by losing their "culture" to minorities, the ones that are offended by empowering blacks to the level of whites, offended by ending inequality, may also have preferred your ancestors not be slaves, and preferred you to have stayed in Africa. "We should have never gave you *****s money go back home" "America you bad b**** I picked cotton and made you rich - now my dick ain't free"

3. Fantasma Negro

The slave trade didn't start in America. Most of the slaves involved in the original slave trade or Islamic slave trade were castrated leaving no descendants. Slavery is a part of world history

Nook likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

And before that....

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think he said slavery started in America.

edwardc, FranchiseBlade and pgabriel like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Early new world slavery was much more brutal than most world history slavery. Think about it. Land had to be cleared

Most ancient slavery is familial, early American slavery was industrial

REEKO_HTOWN, Jontro, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Question]
    What has always made me scratch my head is why African Americans kept their English names - for instance O'Neal, James, McGrady, etc. I would want a fresh start as a way to build my own family's legacy... not keep a remembrance of the ugly past. As I understand it, these names referred to the owner of the plantation that the slaves worked on.

GOOD DAY

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's the only language they knew by the time they were freed...

Some choose new names, like Freeman, most just kept the name they had.

Jontro, joshuaao and daywalker02 like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ironically you touch on a very current and pervasive negative legacy of slavery. We don't our names we don't know what part of Africa we're from. That's part of the groundbreaking nature of the miniseries Roots.

We don't know our history and the alternative is embracing the pplace that tore your family away

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The callous brutality of American slavery is unique to the Americas. Africans in South America, Cuba and otherSpanish colonies were long ago treated as family.

Even French Louisiana allowed open relationships between owners and slaves. The English Puritans are unique in brutality and the class system

Edit:
    Poor southerners would say at least I'm not black and a slave.
    I would hypothesize that America being founded by none nobles held on to the class system set up by slavery because they weren't royals

#10 pgabriel, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

At this point, I'm not sure what you guys are responding to.

Your point of the thread was saying, you would rather your ancestors have not been through slavery, you'd rather your family stayed in Africa despite it being less developed.

Then FN says slavery is common throughout history - which isn't a retort to the topic of your post really. Perhaps my post?

And now you're replying by trying to argue American slavery is the worst slavery, which. isn't a rabbit hole I'd go down.

Nook likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I responded to it cause it's a common retortand my post isn't an opinion, Early new world slavery is noted cause of its brutality.

His point is why do blacks view American blacks think their ancestors had it worse

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From what I understand it isn't just slavery black people are angry about. It's the 100 years that followed also with Jim Crow and Black Codes that set up the current conditions of poor urban black communties.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

jboslett, HillBoy, edwardc and 2 others like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right but I think people should separate slavery. A lot of blacks moved north during Jim Crow.. No freedom like that during slavery

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess being black but having immigrant parents, the only lesson I learned from them is to look forward. I sure as **** wouldn't have wanted to grow up in Haiti or Cameroon, and they clearly never felt like bringing that **** up. Didn't even teach us French (or Creole or Basaa).

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

To bypass a root cause that has shaped political and social policies that has made it very difficult for the working class non-default American is something you have to choose for yourself but don't force others to put their head in the sand...

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Everybody is long gone. No one to be angry with. You can't move past something till its resolved internally

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It was a great time for free people of color in Louisiana during that period. One my ancestors had a child with a woman that was enslaved, ended up free her and his child and went back to France to marry her. They had more freedom and rights during that window of time compared to the 20th century/Jim Crow era.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

But the mind of those that perpetuate the past is still very much alive. I apologise for my earlier comment.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You want black people to get over slavery, but you yourself haven't? Like you, I don't think people should feel anything about things that weren't done to them. Especially something like a history of slavery that when taken ownership of must do crazy damage to the psyche and subconscious of the individual/group. Unfortunately, that is the only history Americans are taught and that fact plays a major role in how blacks are viewed and how they view themselves.

What I don't understand is how Africans had no impact on life in what is now Europe. If they did, it would make it possible that those last names were theirs or at least shared with white Europeans and not passed on by their owners. Then again, I know nothing of the history of that land and the impact Africans had on it. From what I do know, slavery was not widespread and when there was it included whites (the word slavery actually comes from the word for people of slavic origin).