1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Italy is exploding with cases.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Amazing thread. Worth to read it all.

Striking similarities between the situation here and China in January.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reminds me of what my sweet old Nana would say, "Starve a cold. **** the **** out of a fever"

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I never thought I would be wishing for hot, humid weather but that may be what helps stop this.

I wonder if you get it in the nose and then exercise(eg runnning) could cause it to go to lung?

CCity Zero and RKREBORN like this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Looks like the story constantly flips from hysteria about the disease to hysteria about the hysteria. We go from the USA put in place xenophobic travel bans and then we aren't doing enough.

moonsh0t and CCity Zero like this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Thank god I don't exercise.

arkoe and CCity Zero like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In case it hasn't been posted already, Rice cancelling classes for the upcoming week :

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is interesting - https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zinc-lozenges-coronavirus/

Obviously he never meant it to get released and was just suggesting steps to family, but if the post earlier regarding throat/nose etc and if the zinc (again he isn't sure and also only suggests to follow guidelines per amount, ie don't get silly and overdo it with zinc cough drops, because side effects are no joke), but I'm thinking it could possibly help for people in risky categories to at least to try something if they feel a cold coming on. I mean he did study coronaviruses and is a pathologist, so... Assuming this isn't some staged ad for more people to hoard.... It could be something to think about.

The social media post probably circulated plenty, but I like that it has been verified by another source. And again I'm just sharing it as something I thought might be helpful to have on hand. - Hell I'm not even sure they're available and again, don't get crazy with zinc cough drops. Ie eat them like candy. Again he states these were suggestions (and didn't mean for family to spread it as some guaranteed thing), but it's what he would do, so at least it's something. I think most of his statements have been reiterated a ton. But sharing in case.

Again, this was just me thinking if it did help to prevent spread to lungs it might make it easier to deal with and at least give you something to try. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to price gouging.

Exiled likes this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Rice just canceled next week’s classes

tinman and Exiled like this.
  11. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Wondering if we’re nearing a moment where they just halt all trading on Wall Street like after September 11.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

the cases were already there, they are just now testing more.

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Chinese pathologists in early Feb had published an interesting study of relatively healthy individuals who had died from Covid-19. Most interesting finding (to me since many I know didn't trust the data) is the
    elveated src ,poor(eGFR) level which =>High creatinine=>renal failure caused by scares in kidney when the viruses inhabited blood streams ,
    which explains why Men naturally with more body mass were effected more than women

and also (might) explain why elderly who are more likely to have underline condition that requires antibiotics, chelestrol medication etc , to face higher risks,

Nook and CCity Zero like this.
  14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Heading into allergy season, though. Lots of sneezing and eye rubbing.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice points, yeah, I need to go back over some of whats been published. I like seeing the data (even if sometimes we're not sure on it), just because we can then compare it with what we're seeing from other countries.

16. malakas

malakas Member

The rise in cases is normal and expected.

The huge rise in deaths is what is alarming.

Either the infections in Italy have reached hundreds of thousands or the Italian strain is much more lethal than what is spreading elsewhere.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dang, the surprising thing is that it hit the wealthier North rather than the South.

I think hospitals just broke down a little, that is why you see the death numbers spike.

They 'only' got 650 somewhat severe cases, that is fewer relatively to their overall number of cases.

#1577 daywalker02, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

It is very striking to say the least. It's not like Italy is Iran no matter how their healthcare system could use some improvements.

Just hypothesis out of my ass at this point :

1) the italian strain could be a new one much more lethal than the S that is spreading elsewhere
    2) The Lombardy area population has more people that have the gene that causes greater abundance of the distinctly shaped protein receptors in their respiratory epithelial cells that the virus targets.

They are either more vulnerable for some reason or the virus is more lethal.

I would also consider other factors like aged population and smoking but China has also widespread smoking and the population age isn't striking different than Italy's. (like i.e african countries where the average age is somewhere in the 19-20s)

CCity Zero and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure but it seems most of all those travellers coming from that region didn't catch the deadlier version.

Thank the lord.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Hold your tongue it is still very early. In Italy the virus has probably been spreading widely 1-2 weeks earlier than other central and southern european countries.
    We dont know if they have caught a deadlier strain, it will come here to spread and in 1-2 weeks from now we will be in their place.

I suggest you to prepare to be quarantined.
    The Austrian PM said that other EU countries will enforce widespread quarantines in the next days, it is inevitable. And he is right.

CCity Zero and daywalker02 like this.