1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Now this is a real hero

donkeypunch likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Might as well have gone to Chuck E Cheese and rolled around in the ballpit.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yet the WHO still made the small mistake to call the pathogen 'Covid 19'.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...ase-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

4. malakas

malakas Member

Two virus strains discovered.

Not only you don't get immunity from one to the other but you can even get infected by both at the same time.

Is it ONE epidemic or two?
    Or more?

CCity Zero and FrontRunner like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Monday Germany cases : 38
    Today Germany cases : 349

CCity Zero and FrontRunner like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where are the most?

7. malakas

malakas Member

CCity Zero and daywalker02 like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He discusses both strains of the virus and the mutation of it.

Basically it’s possible to be infected with both strains. That could be a reason for reinfection. They don’t know if being infected with both causes a worse infection. They are confident that a vaccine will protect from both strains.

malakas, CCity Zero and dobro1229 like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

More cases discovered isn’t necessarily bad. We need mass testing. I’d be happy with semi mandatory testing.

malakas likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Now she just needs to figure out how to disinfect that phone.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fort Bend case was apparently part of a travel group that had returned from Egypt and Dubai last week. One returned straight to Taiwan where she tested positive.

Part of the group was from the Woodlands while the rest were mainly from SL. Apparently more of the group has been confirmed but hasn’t been announced yet.

Edit: Should note these are all rumors but this was circling around for about a week or so before yesterday's announcement.

#1211 gucci888, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  12. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Link?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. The problem is that the government only has 2500 test kits. That’s it, until more are produced. Each can do a few hundred tests, but that’s for the entire country, 330 million plus. We are way behind several other nations in getting ready to deal with this thing. That’s been my impression. Not good at all.

No Worries, malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No link, just what I'm hearing from family in SL. I heard about a confirmed case in Sugar Land on Sunday but brushed it off, guessing that was yesterday's announcement though.

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

No, visiting the gf... the one positive is I guess there is no need to upgrade my seat since the flight should be scarce (insert nervous laugh)

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, exactly my Thoughts regarding the reinfection of people

malakas likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah this was exactly my point on the other page, The virus is a Coronavirus - just like sars /mers are etc etc. It's exactly how we use the term flu but it can be for multiple strains, obviously the links you have are more detailed regarding disease/virus etc, but I keep thinking that in 2003, why didn't they keep studying SARS,? We'd be way ahead of this if we had been.. ie since this shares 80% of SARS it'd be a lot easier to get a vaccine (or at least we'd be ahead).

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I've been noticing a trend like this, I'm not a conspiracy theorist kind of guy but sources I haven't shared that haven't been verified have actually been coming out true.... Blah, I mean this is happening too often for it to just be coincidence. The media is behind (like way behind).

malakas likes this.
  19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There was a good article about this today. Apparently a general Coronovirus vaccine has been in the works for a while, but money dries up with there is no threat. It was being developed right here in Texas but the Doctors couldn't get grants. (Of course, there's ALWAYS a Doctor looking for a grant). While these things are big threats, both health-wise and economically, when there isn't one currently threatening the world, all those funds go back into more insidious diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, and heart disease.

There are only so many scientists and dollars...and humans tend to be reactionary anyways.

In Africa, they finally said that Ebola is a threat forever so they've been developing proactive vaccination now for the last couple of years. You'd have to have some sort of world wide effort for respiratory families for that to happen.

Since China (and Asia in general) tend to be the genesis for these types of diseases, and these are as much of an economic threat as a health threat, perhaps you'll see China invest in preventative stuff in the future to keep things things from springing up in the first place.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

More and more companies like Pfizer have stated they are on a good way but it takes way too much time to get thru trial period.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/pfi...y-a-possible-coronavirus-treatment-2020-03-03

malakas and CCity Zero like this.