1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly didn't remember what his % was in 2016. If it is a growing movement, then he should be able to get above 43% in 2020 when the other candidates bow out. Maybe he get to 50% before Biden. Time will tell.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Bernie needs to win big if he wants to be the nominee, if it is close, he is done.

3. Major

Major Member

He doesn't do the mayo pete stuff and all that - but he uses things like corporatists or beholden to billionaires or whatever. Those people that supported Pete or Amy or whomever clearly didn't think they were beholden t billionaires. Those people don't see the DNC as corrupt or whatever. Basically, he doesn't do any outreach to people who think differently than he does, so he seems unlikely to win them over.

The mayo pete stuff is more by his supporters. You've seen it a lot here - in particular, by people like the conspicuously absent DreamShook. The attack on Harry Reid was by his Nevada campaign manager, I believe, so it extends to his "official" supporters too. But he's trying to build some kind of movement, and that reflects on all the people in the movement. Many people simply don't want to be associated with those kinds of people, and so all that nonsense doesn't help him win over anyone. People take their cues from their candidates, and his "revolutionary" message causes people to act a certain way. It creates loyal supporters - and hardens the opposition to him. The article rings true - he's running a campaign where he hoped he could get through by winning 30-35% of the vote. He wasn't counting on the opposition consolidating so quickly, and now he's kind of stuck in a place where he can't win - unless he breaks that mold and starts overperforming and expanding his voting base.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Turley picks up on the likely result of Biden making Beto his "gun czar":

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/03/03/did-biden-just-give-a-hell-yes-to-orourke-as-gun-czar/

March 3, 2020
    Did Biden Just Give A “Hell Yes” To O’Rourke As Gun Czar?

Democratic candidates are lining up to endorse Joe Biden in an open effort to force the long-discussed contested convention where “superdelegates” can take away the nomination from Bernie Sanders — what Elizabeth Warren’s campaign revealed this week as their “final play.” In response, Biden seems to be handing out cabinet and Administration jobs, referring to a place in his administration for Pete Buttigieg in accepting his endorsement. However, it was the promise given former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke that surprised most people. Biden promised to make O’Rourke — who went down in flames in the primary — the head of his gun control effort. The pledge will likely push most gun owners to Trump since O’Rourke’s calls to seize guns was not only too extreme for most Democratic candidates but it is also arguably unconstitutional. O’Rourke’s “Hell yes” call to seize AR-15s played right into the hands of gun control opponents.

One of O’Rouke’s main campaign issue — and certainly his best known issue — was his declaration “Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,” at a Democratic primary debate last year. It was viewed as a desperation play that failed in spectacular fashion.

Nevertheless, last night in Texas, Biden declared “I want to make something clear — I’m gonna guarantee you, this is not the last you’re seeing of this guy — you’re gonna take care of the gun problem with me, you’re gonna be the one who leads this effort. I’m counting on you, I’m counting on you, we need you badly.”

I recently wrote a column on how the political rhetoric of the Democratic candidates was outstripping the legal realities of gun control. It remains unclear if the Supreme Court would sign off on a ban of a weapon like the AR-15 which is valued because it is modular and can be altered for different functions. There are other weapons with greater caliber rounds or similar fire power.

Even if Biden decides to block such an effort by O’Rourke as gun control czar, he would be selecting the candidate with the most extreme views on the subject to lead the effort of his administration. That will have a clear impact in November on independent gun owners. It is another odd moment for the politician who did not have to trip this wire in accepting the endorsement.

Biden declared in Texas that “Texas aren’t looking for revolution, they’re looking for results.” However, Beto is one result that will look pretty revolutionary for gun owners, particularly in Texas.

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm voting for Biden or any Democrat who wins the nominee over Trump because I don't want a man child as a president and not to mention I'm over populism or in Trump's case fake populism.

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

Would be interesting to see if Biden comes out and supports something like a mandatory assault weapon buy back.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Biden should have been more reserved with Beto, much more reserved. As soon as Beto made his comment about “taking away” assault weapons, I shook my head and knew he was toast in states like Texas. Sure, Beto was emotional because of the terrible tragedy that took place in his city, El Paso, and understandably so. But politically, he went too far for a lot of gun owners, who will likely never own an assault rifle, but might listen to the “noise” from the NRA, who has a corrupt leadership, IMO, and totally in the bag for trump (who likely has never fired a firearm and would be too frightened to do so). Talk like that frightens strong 2nd amendment supporters, unsurprisingly, and Beto hasn’t walked it back that I’ve seen.

Biden may have thought that getting Beto’s endorsement would help draw away possible Bernie voters that were still making up their minds, not only in Texas, but out West. I would have preferred that Joe had showed more political acumen, but maybe he was advised to do it. Who knows? Perhaps it won’t hurt him and will help on the West Coast. We’ll see.

Personally, I don’t see the need for anyone but collectors to purchase assault rifles and similar weapons. I have a couple of friends with large gun collections and an assortment of unusual weapons, and large safes for them. It’s their hobby, and I don’t have a problem with it. I’ve even shot several at gun ranges. It’s fun to shoot an Uzi, for example, but ridiculous for hunting. I wouldn’t have a problem with making possessing them difficult and expensive. My friends can afford that and are willing to jump through a hoop or two to have them, but the typical gun owner who hunts has no reasonable need for one. However, politically, Beto stuck his foot in it, at least in Texas.

RayRay10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    This Biden speech is the worst celebration speech ever.
    1. First 5 seconds: Mixes up his wife and his sister
    2. The "expodential" threat of climate change
    3. "Tree" college for all who volunteer
    4. Multiple stage runners
    5. Countless slurring and mushmouthed flubs
    The man belongs in a comfortable assisted living home. Give this man a remote control and a view of the Delaware Bay.

GOOD DAY

The Real Shady and shorerider like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Trader_ J, I just want to agree with you. It is a good day. A very good day. The Democratic candidate you and your hero, trump, fear the most is doing vastly better than anyone predicted even a week ago. Trump is in his house shoes, shaking his fist at his TV, bellowing at his servants for another hamburger, likely jabbing at a keyboard with his fat fingers “composing” yet another series of bizarre tweets. We have a mad man in the White House, and you love him.

Good DAY!

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Can Joe Biden play in today’s NBA?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If an 'assault rifle' is merely AR-15s, enough people own them as hobbiests that it would create a major backlash even without NRA propaganda.

Nook likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bernie’s lead over Joe Biden in Texas is now only one half of one percent. Bernie is ahead of Joe by less than 6,000 votes. 5700 votes! I am amazed.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Can he grab a rebound?

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just listening to Sanders and I have a legitimate question. Sanders says that Biden in the floor of the senate called for cuts in Social security. When was that and can someone provide a link to that?

15. fchowd0311

Raise of eligibility is considered a cut by Sanders which Biden has expressed a willingness to do before.

It's obviously subjective if you consider that a cut or not. I don't think Biden has expressed it in his current campaign but obviously your actions and rhetoric as a legislator matter and he has expressed willingness to increase the age.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Can you send me a link

17. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

He's rebounding pretty well in Texas so far...

baller4life315 likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

19. fchowd0311

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/biden-vs-sanders-on-social-security-and-medicare/

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/joe-biden-cant-outrun-his-record-on-social-secuity/

I would label this as "half truth". It's true he has advocated in the past to decrease social security spending. Now it's up to you to consider if that's a worthy criticism or not. But he isn't expressing this desire in this current campaign hence "half-truth".

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just saw the video of protesters rushing Biden’s stage. Honestly if y’all want to beat Biden disrupting him is the last thing to do. Y’all would be better off just letting him speak and make gaffes. Rushing the stage just makes him look like the victim

Nook and RayRay10 like this.