1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Then you are voting for Trump, and these issues obviously are not important to you-

-Democracy (right to vote)
    -Pre-existing conditions, and healthcare expansion
    -Gun safety measures
    -Climate change or Science in general
    -Having a 6-3 unbalanced hard right Supreme Court

I get that Biden is old. I get that he comes from the old guard of the Democratic Party where there is back scratching with corporations, and lobbyists in finance & healthcare.

But the contrast in a Democratic Governing administration, and another Trump term is drastic. Unless you truly are a Trump supporting bigot who hates government, there is certainly no sensible excuse for not voting for Biden just because Bernie didn't win.

FYI- Bernie is still the front runner, and if he wins California today by the margin it looks like he will, it'll be nearly impossible for Biden to get the nomination over him. This post strikes me a kind of sad especially considering the fact that Bernie is clearly the front runner. Lets be adults about these next 4 months please.

I will gladly support Bernie if he wins. It's sad that this is how some folks view the most consequential election in modern history in this frame of emotion without reason.

#2121 dobro1229, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    jiggyfly, joshuaao, Nook and 2 others like this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The list of people I would prefer to Biden is practically endless, but if the other option is The Donald again, I'll take a Dramamine, chug some Pepto Bismol, hold my nose and run to vote "not Trump".

I'm guessing at this point Trump wins again, but if I vote for someone else, at least I'll be able to look in the mirror.

B-Bob, joshuaao, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why does Bernie stay in the race instead of passing the torch to Warren? He has hit his ceiling.

We know who and what he is.

Time to turn it over to the real progressive who is also a pragmatist, has policy knowledge, and isn't busy talking about Fidel Castro.

4. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Bernie voter here. I'll vote for Biden if he is the nominee, it's not close. I'll get my friends and family who I know well to also vote for Biden.

Some of us are a bit more emotional/heated right now, especially with the establishment coalescing to gang up against Bernie, that's all.

jiggyfly, dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Some might just sit out this election again.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Now that would be interesting.

7. dobro1229

Thank you. I voted for Biden today, but will gladly vote for Bernie in November. To me, it's not even close as well.

I also think the move to consolidate around Biden is a good thing for Bernie as Bernie absolutely needs to be forced to continue to widen his electoral support. I think winning with a base strategy like Trump has is horrible for our democracy. And it might not even be that Bernie has to change his policies more than it is that he needs to be challenged to widen and massage his message to reach out to and make a case to more voters.

I think it is a GOOD thing for Bernie to have a bit more of a challenge to expand his support, and force him to not win with just a base strategy. It's good for Democracy.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and Roxfreak724 like this.
  8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Um. Bernie is leading.

I was considering Warren way back in October over Bernie, but it was evident that Bernie's campaign was winning the fight in the early states and nationally.

I'm ready to get behind any progressive frontrunner because I support progressive values not just one candidate.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Obama never stated he was backing any candidate.....

He basically stated he was leaving in the people's hand to who they pick....

Some in the media.. NOT BERNIE!!! are basically creating this BS...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I'm not sure Sanders gains much by Warren dropping out. In a recent poll from MorningConsult, 40% of Warren supporters say their 2nd choice is Sanders. Sounds good, except that's actually pretty low when you think about it. Biden only had about 16%, Buttigieg had 16%, and Klobuchar had 12%. If all of those voters go to Biden, that would total 44% and boost him over Sanders. Obviously, people can change their mind once they're faced with this new decision, but until there's more data about who Warren supporters would move to now...

So, her staying in probably helps Sanders more than her dropping out right now.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I would vote for Biden too, but man, Trump will suppress the vote just like he did with Hilary. Biden is Hilary on Valium. Biden has more baggage, is more conservative, less active on the campaign trail and isn't as sharp. Everything that lost Hilary the presidency last time, times that by 10 with Biden.

Roxfreak724 likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It has already been reported Obama put out the call to everyone. They even dusted off Beto.

Roxfreak724 likes this.
  13. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ya I am really worried about Biden's electability. I hope the anti-Trump wave will just lead any Democrat to victory, but there are a lot of low propensity voters (youth, minorities/Latinos) that may either sit out and/or not get involved in terms of volunteering if Biden is the nominee.

DreamShook likes this.
  14. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Oh no I'm not saying she should just drop out. She needs to give Bernie a full-throated endorsement for it to mean anything. Seize the moment and put progressive values over her own candidacy. It's a tough decision but Bernie really does need her, now more than ever.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. dobro1229

Not sure I agree with this respectively. I can't explain why, but for some reason people just really like Biden, and people just really despise Hillary. Personality has alot to do with it I guess.

Also - Biden has had a resilient ability to have scandals (some fake, some kinda real) slide off him that Hillary couldn't.

Is he a risky candidate.... Hell yes. I won't lie. He's got baggage that looks very Hillary like on its face. But I don't for a second believe that it'll be Hillary x10. I think there will be Hillary like moments, and I think Trump voters will come home to Trump. But 2018 proved to us that I do think that people will show up for a Biden type because Trump is ultimately the one that is turning out these voters where he didn't turn out those voters in 2016 because they didn't think he was going to win, or thought he was going to become normal instead of becoming an autocrat.

Jayzers_100 and joshuaao like this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

They are basically daring everyone to not vote again by bear hugging Joe Biden. Trump is going to destroy this dude if he gets the nomination. We are all going to have to watch as he gets beat down then hold our noses as we saunter to the vote.

17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I'll respectfully disagree on Biden having more baggage. Hillary had Bill for one, herself for two, the emails for three, the false charity thing for four, was a woman (I voted for her, but many men and some women probably didn't because they didn't want a woman up there), and Comey coming out against her for #6. She was the 2nd most unpopular candidate ever and basically the only major candidate in recent history that could have lost to Trump in 2016.

Biden is old, but so is Trump; Biden has problems speaking, but so does Trump; Biden has some problems with nepotism, so does Trump; Biden has some grabby hands rumors, Trump slept, peed, and married hookers. Trump can try to hammer him on that he's not progressive enough, but he's far more progressive than Trump.

I mean, he's not exciting right now, but if he can get up at the convention and give a rousing speech without trailing off and at least limit his mistakes in debates, he'll be fine. Pick the right (progressive enough) VP and Dems will back him.

joshuaao, Os Trigonum and dobro1229 like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If Bernie actually cared about Progressive goals he'd realize he's had his shot and it's over.

It's not happening. It might not be fair in the eyes of the Berniebro, but it's just not. 30% of people may have voted/caucused for him so far, but more importantly 70% of people are voting against him, and it doesn't look like there's much movement there.

High floor, low ceiling. Same as we thought before.

He's got one chance, concede to Warren and hope she can emerge from a brokered as a winner.

19. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ya, a very "pragmatist" strategy here. Just a bunch of half-baked media narratives and mental gymnastics to convince yourself Warren should win.

Let me be very clear:

1. A brokered convention would be a shitshow
    2. If a nominee comes out of the convention that did not have a plurality of delegates before the convention you might as well hand the election to Trump.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who besides you thinks this?

What has he said that was actually funny about somebody?

Pocohontas
    Crazy Bernie
    Minnie Mike
    Sleepy Joe

Are any of those funny?

I agree that's where Trump needs to hit but I disagree that he gets any points for his name calling or roasting.