1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I’m talking about. This irrational fear mongering, especially by those not qualified to talk about it. Right now your sample is heavily, skewed. If you want an accurate representation you need to have the following breakdown, China vs non China. And vs the very old/immunocompromised. Your 2% is already shifted. Why is the flu lower once again? Well we know how to look out for it and vaccinate people, not to mentioned tamiflu and such to decrease the severity of it. URIs are a giant umbrella, supportive care is all you can do. People on the way ends of the spectrum I mentioned are much more prone to developing the secondary pneumonia which can prove to be deadly.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As of 2/24, it was 2.3% overall. China is at 3.6%. Outside of China is 1.6%.

Yes, there are different mortality rate for different group (I posted a breakdown before).

I'm not sure I under your vaccine point. The very reason why the death rate is high is because it's new and there is no vaccine for it. All you have left with is supportive care. Until there is some immunity or vaccine, it's deadly. The H1N1 spanish flu was deadly because it was new and there wasn't a vaccine for it. It became less deadly later. Too late for those 20-50M dead. Are you suggesting that by the time this circulate worldwide, we would already have a vaccine - maybe, that's a fair point, but it's an unknown.

All of this is just data. I guess some people can be driven to fear from it, but it's just data. Unless you think the data is wrong, are you thinking that we should be hiding data from the public to avoid irrational fear?

foh likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An interesting read. He seems to be very lucky. Even luckier is his wife, who apparently didn't get it, even though they were presumably together almost the entire time. Perhaps they slept in separate beds aboard ship? ;-)

I'm shocked that there wasn't a protocol in place to insure that every passenger who got on that bus didn't have the coronavirus. That could have been handled far better than it was. That gentleman obviously had it, and may have infected others on that bus (and elsewhere) who weren't as fortunate as he clearly was, and if he had it, others may have who weren't in that quarantine area. On the bus, on the aircraft, and after it landed. There seems to be quite a variance among individuals as to how long an infected person shows symptoms.

How hard could it have been to take longer to get them home? A strict quarantine area for Americans close to the ship, with every individual wearing masks and a good distance from everyone else, with degrees of quarantine if symptoms appeared. The Japanese government couldn't have complained much about that. In the current regional environment, they wouldn't want us angry at them.

As I pointed out in my earlier post, we simply don't know that much about the disease, although there are likely a host of people working hard to find out. We don't know if it can remain dormant and then return. We still aren't sure how it is spread. Clearly, a vaccine is of the highest priority, but that can take months, possibly over a year. Obviously, someone who has it and shows symptoms is likely highly contagious, as it certainly appears to spread quickly.

4. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I was in San Francisco at the beginning of this month for work, when this was nowhere as big as it is now, and as I walked down the street to my hotel, an old gentleman behind me yelled "Go back to China, stop spreading the virus." I am not sure if he was directing it at me, as there were so many Asian faces around San Francisco, but it was quite an experience. I didn't even get mad, and I was more amazed by it, more like "wow, so this is what racism looks like."

I hope the guy is still doing well today.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly, it's just another weapon in the arsenal of the ignorant.

seemoreroyals and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

The level of fear mongering is insane.

dachuda86 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I don't blame you, I'd be afraid of the Rockets and Astros too.

snowconeman22 and dachuda86 like this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I wonder how many people in the NBA will come down with the Virus? And how bad will this affect attendance at games?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well there's now a person who had tested positive a 2nd time, there's a few possibilities

that the testing was screwed and she wasn't clean
    that its a different coronavirus strain
    that we're all screwed and this thing can mutate at similar rates to the common cold

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd say "You First", then start coughing.

Maybe he'd GTFO ASAP

FrontRunner and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Natural selection has always favoured those with stronger averse reactions to disease, we're their descendants because the people that didn't died, what you're seeing is an association to an adverse reaction to said virus. it's not actually anything to do with race per se, they would react to an english accent the same way if it came from England.

Which is why there's a large number of people who are saying they'd refuse to buy corona beer simply because of it's name, that drive is really really strong.

Aversion to virus -> association with virus -> negative reaction to association.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The guy in charge of the Coronavirus response...

13. NewRoxFan

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When the number of cases surge (and it will) what's going to go through fan's head: why risk it when you can watch it livestream from the comfort of your home? Probably going to have significant impact.

Last week Italy game was played without fans because the gov has restricted public gathering.

[​IMG]

FrontRunner and dachuda86 like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm watching Pence on Meet the Press and he is saying some of the right things that the Administration will work across the aisle and with all levels of government. The problem is that message is undercut by those who seem more interested in protecting Trump than the American people.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very surprised to hear that in San Francisco considering how Asian the Bay Area is. If we do hear stuff like that in San Francisco that doesn't bode well for the rest of the country.

17. NewRoxFan

pence had the perfect opportunity when asked about the other idiot son's comments (and the trump talking point)... he chose to lie about the meaning and failed to deescalate the politicization of the health emergency.

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

19. foh

foh Member

New community case in suburbs Chicago. Probably South American illegals caused it

AleksandarN likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

And the players are the only ones at risk now... which is low level until it starts spreading in the league... It spreads by sweat... I imagine those players are going to be able to fight it though since they have amazing lungs and conditioning. Probably great immune systems too from that boost you get from exercise. Hell their bodies might fight it off asap or they may just feel mild symptoms. Maybe James Harden will get it during the playoffs and have a historic "corona virus" game.