1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leaving Afghanistan Soon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 22, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I've been saying it for years but Afghanistan is going to be a repeat of Vietnam in a good way.

There's going to be a Taliban influenced govt there for the forseeable future. Defeating the Taliban completely is impossible. But luckily they're not strong enough to control the whole nation. They're despicable awful people; but that's the reality of it,

There's probably goingo to be some weird hybrid of an Islamic Republic with democratic elements and a loose confederation govt there. Think the Swiss model meets Iran.

We may or may not have troops there (that's a major pressure point in the negotiations) but there will almost certainly be a McDonald's in Kabul and American products used in the urban areas, even if the Taliban forbids it.

Life will go on.

3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Tell that to the Russians. Afghanistan is where wars go to die. It is such a quagmire. There is no easy solutions.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm not saying there are. Do you actually read the rest of my post? Or are you just trying to make a good soundbite?

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I did read it. I am just pointing out there is no easy solutions. I am just not as optimistic as you

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I supported the invasion of Afghanistan but was worried at the time that it would be a quagmire. Afghanistan is truly the place where empires have died. The British were defeated there, the Soviets and now us. It didn't help that we decided to launch a voluntary war too the year after we went into Afghanistan.

There is and likely never will be a military solution to Afghanistan. It might be time to let the Chinese step and put Belt and Road through and see if the Chinese model of economic development without military or political intervention can work.

da_juice likes this.
  7. da_juice

da_juice Member

That's fair. I apologize for being snippy. I'm hungover, getting over a breakup, and left my phone in an uber last night. Rough weekend so far

AleksandarN likes this.
  8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Dude I feel you.

da_juice likes this.
  9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Curious to see what get's rebuilt first- my love life or Afghanistan?

pgabriel likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im rooting for you

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I
    Because thats where Bin Laden operated

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't buy that we needed to go in. Not all out for 20 years. There were other motives. Look at how they actually killed Bin Laden... did we invade Pakistan with our whole damn military?

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Would it have been a good idea to leave Germany or Japan?

15. TheresTheDagger

After 19 years? We did leave Japan. As for Germany....there was this small matter called the USSR that NATO was defending Europe against.

16. KingCheetah

The US has 174 bases in Germany down by 200 from the height of the cold war -- there are about 23 bases in Japan currently. In Afghanistan there is this small matter of the Taliban regaining control of the country. Since peaking a decade ago coalition casualties have remained low -- there is no pressing need to give the region back to the Taliban.

[​IMG]

17. TheresTheDagger

The Taliban like it or not run Afghanistan. Even with the mightiest military in the history of the world occupying for 19 years they still run it. Giving the region back to them is I'm afraid a fait accompli.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Taliban and Al-Qaeda aren't the same. Taliban can have that mofo. We have been there past 2007 because it borders Pakistan who has nukes

When they can toss a nuke here, i might be worried

19. KingCheetah

They control a portion not the entire country -- they only gained total control in the mid-90s before being run out again in the early 2000s. We're not talking about some great dynasty -- if we leave under the great Trump/ Taliban peace agreement they will definitely control the entire country again in short order.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The problem is not fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan. We pushed them back hard before we changed our mind and pulled back from the outposts when it got nasty. The problem is we can't hit them in Pakistan. Without going into Pakistan we could never win this war. We are just delaying the inevitable. Once we leave they will come flooding out of the mountains of Pakistan and have control of Afghanistan within 18-24 months. Maybe it takes longer if we get frisky with an air campaign to delay it. Obama should have pulled the plug after Bin Laden... claimed victory, thrown a parade, and bring our boys home. When the Taliban start taking over again it will probably not make page 2 in the NY Times.

pgabriel likes this.