1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] PARASITE 2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Oct 29, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, the director's agenda was to push against social inequality and class struggle. Not sure, if that resonates with audience.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ght-south-koreas-poor-spotlight/#.XlATo8hKiUk

#81 daywalker02, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    da_juice and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My daughter has been raving about this movie so she brought over the blu-ray last weekend for a watch party. I knew nothing about it except that Joon Ho Bong directed. I was already a fan of his having seen The Host and Snowpiercer (would love to see Memories Of Murder but it's unavailable) so I was curious. This movie will surprise you if you give it a chance. I found its originality quite refreshing especially when compared to the endless parade of remakes coming out of Hollywood these days. While it does expose the extreme class inequality that exists in South Korea today, it does not do so at the expense of the narrative - Bong uses that to provide an explanation for the actions of his protaganists in the film. This is a must see for all film buffs.

3. ohmarioyes

ohmarioyes Member

It was ok.

The Real Shady likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loved Old Boy. It was obviously The Count of Monte Cristo. I preferred Sympathy for Lady Vengeance for the visuals alone. Frames from that movie are art museum quality.

Parasite is to me the best of them all. The writing, characters, and plot are almost Shakespearean. Each character has their own pluses and minuses and each serves the overall plot and theme in their own way. It is fiction but the characters and themes are recognizable even though they intentionally weren't portrayed in an ultra-realistic way.

The cinematography wasn't equal to Lady Vengeance but they were spectacular. Added to the screenplay and especially that they all served in their own way to push the theme of the movie made it more amazing. No element was standing out in it's own way, but they all served the theme, plot, and story in such a way that it was incredible. Every single aspect of film making was subservient to the story, and theme of the movie and each fit together in a way that few movies have ever achieved.

I am a Donut and daywalker02 like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

About to check it out now. I know absolutely nothing about it. It’s why I jumped on here to see what people think of it.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You lucked out no one’s ruined it here. Enjoy!

mikol13 likes this.
  8. mikol13

Supporting Member

Just saw it, trying to process it. I definitely enjoyed it.

9. ROXTXIA

That’s better than the last movie I saw at the theater: “Rise of Skywalker”. Which made me say, “Just saw it. Trying to process it. I definitely think it sucked more ass than R. Kelly ever did.”

10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I won't lie, I wish I could have unseen post #77 before watching it. :oops:

11. mikol13

Supporting Member

What I should have said is, I’m trying to process what I want to write about each character. I’m just being lazy, I don’t feel like writing about it for some reason right now.

Dig it though.

12. ROXTXIA

No, I feels you. I have lately seen bad movies at the theater and missed good ones. Parasite obviously looks well worth it.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I totally checked out on Star Wars after that godawful pile of horsesh*t that was The Last Jedi. If I want to watch rehashes of Episodes 4, 5 & 6, I'll just pull out the DVDs.

14. ROXTXIA

They really botched everything. TFA's plot being too much like Episode IV's, the producers did exactly as I predicted: swung the pendulum too far in the other direction. The second Luke flung the lightsaber over his shoulder, I was like: Uh-oh; yep. Then a swing too far BACK to end it all.

Anyway, maybe I'm just getting old. My wife and I seldom go to the theater now. Gonna stick to quality films for the most part, with the occasional Marvel movie thrown in for good measure.