1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could run a lineup of 5 of the exact same player, who would it be?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Asian Sensation

5 Curry’s if you’re the type that likes to keep it real.

I know people hate Curry on this forum but the majority of the people that hate him are the same people that truly believe in our small ball Philosophy. The main components of small ball are being able to shoot the 3 well, being quicker, movement, passing, shooting 7 seconds & under and simply out scoring the opposition. I know defense, length, switching etc are taken into consideration as well but if you have 5 guys on the court with unlimited range that can get off a shot from anywhere while shooting 44% that’s just not fair. Imagine the spacing that would create. 5 Kawhi’s, LeBron’s, Giannis‘, MJ’s would all struggle if they had to constantly defend out to at least 45 ft on a regular basis. It’s gonna be raining 3’s and a layup drill. Just remember good offense always beats good defense.

5 guys on the court doing that? Game over. No can defend.

2. csj

csj Member

5 Jordans can, easily.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lebron can dribble up the court without getting the ball stolen from him.

4. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I'd take KG.

Lebron's FT% is his weakness. And he crumbles, mentally, half the time in the crunch.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Lin X 5

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Linsanity ==> Linplicity!

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Duh. 5 Hartensteins.

Patience likes this.
  8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

5 Kawhis, other team's gonna shoot 9.31%

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

5 Jordans would lock Currys up and post them up all game on the other end.

5 Currys lol....

BaselineFade and csj like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

5 KD's or Kawhis IMO.

I think KD is much more talented offensively, and has better length so I'll go with him.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The only viable answers are Bird, Magic, LBJ, maybe KD, and one other. Length and strength and ball handling.

Jordan would be game in the post, but ultimately would not be able to hold up.

The Dreams would have to advance the ball upcourt by lob passes.

Going off their best years by stat:

The Birds will lead all the teams in FT%, average 150 points, 55 rebounds, 37.5 assists, and 10 steals.

The Magics will average 120 points per game, 46.5 rebounds per game, 65.5 assists, and 17 steals.

The LBJs get you 150 ppg, 42.5 rebounds, 9 steals, and 45 assists.

The Jordans: 185 points, 40 rebounds, 16 steals, and 40 assists.

The Durants: 160 points, 41.5 rebounds, 7 steals, and 29.5 assists.

The Giannisi: 150 points, 62.5 rebounds, 8 steals, and 29.5 assists.

The Dreams: 140 points, 70 rebounds, 15 steals, 17.5 assists, and lead all teams with 23 blocks.

The ABA Dr Js would be pretty good: 160 points, 50 rebounds, 12.5 steals, and 15 assists.

The one other I mentioned? The Fightin' Rick Barrys: 177.5 points, 53.5 rebounds, 14.5 steals, and 31.5 assists.

It;s curious that the only 5 who have a single digit stat are current players: G, LBJ, and KD.

Teams with stats in the Top 3:

Scoring: The Jordans, The Barrys, and the DrJs.
    Rebounds: The Dreams, The Giannisi, The Birds
    Steals: The Magics, The Jordans, The Dreams
    Assists: The Magics, The LBJs, The Jordans

It would be a blast to watch 5 Birds vs 5 LBJs. There'd be so much trash talk from the Birds and I have no doubt it would start to affect the LBJs.

Morey=Money likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

The 5 Hakeems scenario is a fascinating hypothetical. It's easy to say 5 LeBrons or 5 Magics, because we've seen them play all the positions. They're good choices. And, yet, no player in NBA history has more 5x5s than Hakeem, and it's not even close. Six of them. No one's come closer to a quintuple double. Plenty of versatility. And we're talking about possibly the best defender in history. Five of them. All 7-ft tall.

Hakeem never had to play the 1-3 positions, which is why this such an unknown. But, think of the combination of competitiveness and humility of Hakeem. The Hakeems are going to figure out how to work together to beat you. And the 1-3 Hakeems are going to expand their shooting range. He already had a good enough shot to consistently make fadeaways from mid and longer range.

I'm banking on 5 Hakeems slightly specializing offensive skills they probably already have to the more traditional and nontraditional positions. And then just murdering you on rebounding and defense, because the Hakeems do not like to lose. They really don't like to lose.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

I don't think 5 Wilts would make a winning NBA team against most of these other options. However, I'm fascinated by thoughts of the bonkers, unattainable, inconceivable feats of athleticism 5 Wilts could pull off. Honestly, in any sport. I'm pretty convinced by everything I've seen and read that there may have never actually lived a more athletic person.

Yung-T and da_juice like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5 Lebron's. Lebron is the complete player on both ends of the floor - he has size to play the post and yet quickness to be a point guard. He can play any position on offense with ease and and defend any position.

The others really can't do that. Magic isn't as strong defensively as Lebron. Kawaii isn't the type to break someone down on the dribble but 5 would be scary good defense. That would be the next closest one.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

The issue with 5 currys is the diminishing returns. Theres only so much space on the court. Even if two of them are near half court and two are in the wings a long athletic team can stifle them and try to trap the ball.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Magic wouldn’t even be able to get a 3 point shot off against any of the other players. He had an extremely slow release. That alone would prevent him from beating anyone else in this discussion.

Curry would fall apart by half time if had to play defense full time, and nobody would ever have to help because the LBJ’s and MJ’s wouldn’t need rim protection against him. He’d be shooting very difficult shots all game. He’s great at it, but you need easy baskets if you’re playing against 5 MJ’s or LBJ’s, lol.

Has to be LBJ. 94 feet trapping defense the entire game, amazing outlet passer, and the fast break would be absolutely stupid.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Team Curry would get murdered because Team Curry don't have a Draymond Green, Zaza, Bogut to provide Curry with the screens (e.g. spacing) he needs to get open. Could he pull up from 30 out and forego the screens? Sure he could but you can't tell me a LeBron, Kawhi, MJ, Kobe or Giannis can't clamp down on him out there, knowing that he lacks the speed AND strength to get to the basket. I respect Steph's shooting but don't undervalue the physical aspect of the game.

Ronkol likes this.
  18. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Your first sentence is exactly why I mentioned the unpopular choice of Ralph Sampson. He is what I would call a complete player. Could do everything on both ends. Those too young to know, youtube him, he was fun to watch. However I do think it would take a player with that killer instinct to add to versatility like others mentioned on this thread. Bird, Jordan, Kobe, Dream...that is probably why no one said Drexler or McGrady as great as they were they didn't have that X factor to just shut you down!

19. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

awesome thought exercise.

size matters if you are cherry picking elite athletes.

harden would be hurt by a trapping Hakeem, LeBron, or Magic.

jump shot matters too. Hakeem’s would likely be left open to shoot jumpers and be eliminated.

twitter accounts don’t matter so Durant is out.

I would think it would come down to LeBron and Magic. They both have the 1-5 skill set - can pass, defend, and create for others.

mentally - I think the Magic’s take it.